Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by J.moz, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Walpole

Walpole Juniors

Too many St George supporters have fond memories of the 50s and 60s (when they were children or not even alive) and can remember '77 and '79 but have no recollection of the late 80's or those 20 years before the JV which resulted in 0 premierships.

smi962, Banjo2014 and muzby like this.
  2. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

This.

The average age of an Australian is 37 years.

The “average” Australian has never seen a st George premiership.

This “average” doesn’t factor in the Australians who migrated here after 1979, as it’s only based on age..

I’m guessing it’s closer to 3/4 Australians that have never seen a st George premiership..

Banjo2014 likes this.
  3. avocado

avocado Juniors

Link?

4. denis preston

denis preston Bench

We got Langlands but 3 years later couldn't get Fulton and don't know even if he was on Facers radar ( why not ? ) Ken Arthurson did a great job getting him. If we got him we may have extended our run but most certainly would have won another one or 2 premierships by 1974.

5. possm

possm Coach

6. muzby

7. Willow

Willow Administrator

Well you're not sure, so there lies your confirmation.

I don't refer to myself as a former St George supporter.
    Both share the same coastline and are a short drive away. I don't recommend jumping out of airplanes to resolve pent up feelings.

Happy to combine forces, just call us St George. You know it makes sense.

Dragonsamy, Dragon David and hazzbeen like this.
  8. Saints Forever

Saints Forever Bench

I see you have conveniently omitted the fact that the side played in 3 grand finals during the 90s as St George and even as STGI were seriously in contention in 1999, 2005-2006 before again being relevant as STGI in 2009-2010.

Contrast this to Illawarra who generally only contested the wooden spoon from the time of their admission into the NRL.

It’s hard to preach unity whilst you and the orange man continually promote division.

Give your collective dribble a break guys.

9. dragon thomo

dragon thomo Juniors

Other than the junior area Illawarra have provided very little.

10. Willow

Willow Administrator

Langlands rated Fulton very highly, I recall him saying something along the lines that he was the best player he ever played against.

FTR, Chang, a Wollongong boy, said a few times that we should be called St George. He wasn't anti-JV, he just didn't see the point in altering the name.

11. Willow

Willow Administrator

Of course I can only speak for myself. But by asking for proof, you are downplaying the history of St George. It is a heritage that, for St George supporters, speaks for itself.

Former Steelers supporters have been welcomed to be part of it since the JV was formed.

12. Willow

Willow Administrator

I saw St George win a premiership in 2010. The trophy was proudly displayed in St George Leagues Club and the Club recorded it as our 16th premiership.

The same trophy was later displayed in the Steelers Club, celebrated as Illawarra's first premiership.

Dragonsamy likes this.
  13. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Latest statistics say the following about age groups as a % of population.

Electorate of Barton > 60 = 19%
    NSW > 60 = 21.8%
    Australia = 21.4%

On that basis plenty of people would have seen St George win a comp or 2 and maybe a few more like me and a few others in this place.

Dragonsamy likes this.
  14. muzby

I’m no gun with numbers or anything like @Dennis Papaioannou claims to be, but isn’t 20% less than 80%, and therefore a minority?

15. muzby

17 premierships! Look out souffs, we’re coming!

hazzbeen likes this.
  16. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

Yep I’m 37 my first was in 2010. That’s why I find it so funny when some of the older Dragons fans go on about not accepting mediocrity. My whole life one bloody GF, if that’s not accepting mediocrity I don’t know what is. At this rate I would be happy to at least get to see one more before I become worm food.

muzby likes this.
  17. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

If we take 4 - 5 years of age as a reasonable age to start following, going to, and understanding footy then the following would be reasonably accurate.

16% would not have seen St GI win the comp.
    30% potentially have seen St George win 1 - 2 comps.
    20% potentially have seen St George win > 3 comps.

If I had bothered to remove < 15 year olds (16%) out of the numbers the 30% & 20% ratios would rise slightly and of course the 80% would correspondingly go down.

All that being said the numbers are not insignificant for the rusted on St George fans who have seen the highest and the lowest fortunes of the club and surely their "legacy" needs to be acknowledged and considered in all discussions.

Dennis Papaioannou likes this.
  18. Noraa

Noraa Juniors

Ha ha if this happens you st George faithful will have no players :sob:...all the good juniors come from the gong just can’t get a game

19. muzby

Jesus man, where did you learn to count?

You can’t say 4-5 years old is a reasonable age to start following, then remove everyone under 15 to try and improve your figures (which even then are still considered a minority)

No matter which way you try and cut it, the fact remains the majority of Australians have never seen a stand-alone St George premiership.

Not sure why your comprehension of this is so poor.

20. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

It appears you are questions the maths as you have asked where I learned to count.
    So if we haven’t won a comp for 10 years and if I said < 5 years shouldn’t be included when would the supporter who has seen a GF win have been born?
    I think that means 2005 so why wouldn’t I remove the < 15 year olds or doesn’t 2020 - 2005 = 15