What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draw 2015

insert.pause

First Grade
That's the Anzac Day game.

Other options would be the Sea Eagles or Dragons but I'd also suggest Storm vs Dragons should be the Good Friday Night game every year (no AFL on).

Because they play Thursday & Friday instead of two Friday games and neither the 9 nor the NRL want to schedule a QLD derby without a NSW derby on in the other state.

And yet Qlders are expected to be happy watching easts v souths every year!

Last year the Broncos didn't play the Cowboys until rd6, they have ruined what had become a great tradition, it's a showpiece game in it's own right.

souths1908

Juniors
Bulldogs Vs Eels Thursday night
Broncos Vs Cowboys at Suncorp on Friday night.
Panthers Vs Tigers Saturday arvo
Manly Vs Storm Saturday night
Newcastle Vs Canberra Saturday night
Rabbits Vs Roosters on a Sunday arvo
Dragons Vs Sharks Sunday arvo
Warriors Vs Titans Monday night

Kiwi

First Grade

This, except I would swap the Bulldogs v Eels to Saturday and the Manly v Storm to Sunday arvo and open with the Rabbits v Roosters Friday. Round 1 should not have a Thursday night game, it will kill the crowd attendance for whatever game is there. Want to start with a bang not a whimper.

Card Shark

Immortal
It's all about the TV, Kiwi.

There will be a Thursday night. Don't be surprised if we see more Thursday games next year to bring the game into prime time. Late on Friday night is a ratings fail for Ch Nein.

rabbitohs95

Bench
More Sunday games for Souths. We had Round 4 at ANZ,
and Round 21 in Cairns. Same goes for the Roosters they only had 2 or so Sunday games.

More Sunday games for Souths. We had Round 4 at ANZ,
and Round 21 in Cairns. Same goes for the Roosters they only had 2 or so Sunday games.

The only Sunday games the Roosters had in 2014 were away games, namely against Melbourne at AAMI Park in Round 13, and against the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium in Round 24. We did not get 1 home game on a Sunday at all.

docbrown

Coach

Well considering 10 of the NRL teams are in NSW they should probably be used to it by now. Easts vs Souths just rates stronger across both states combined than Broncos vs Cowboys.

Unless they go back to two Friday night games on the first round it's unlikely to happen. The other consideration is daylight savings.

And like I said, I think we should be moving away from using up our derby games in round 1. Round 1 should be drawing a strong crowd because it's Round 1.

If Broncos can't come close to a sell out in Round 3,4 or 5 for the derby game then it's pretty embarrassing.

9 will never put Rabbits vs Roosters on Sunday arvo. It's either Thursday or Friday and the only way you get it to be Friday is if Broncos are on Thursday.

Fox would never pick Warriors vs Titans over those other matches as their top pick.

Why use up Dogs vs Eels, Broncos vs Cowboys, Sea Eagles vs Storm, Dragons vs Sharks all in Round 1?

There will be a Thursday night. Don't be surprised if we see more Thursday games next year to bring the game into prime time. Late on Friday night is a ratings fail for Ch Nein.

This.

You have to be aware of the reality of when matches will be played and who chooses what. There's no point scheduling 6 rivalry matches and then thinking Fox will pick Warriors vs Titans...

Nice Beaver

First Grade

Last year the Broncos didn't play the Cowboys until rd6, they have ruined what had become a great tradition, it's a showpiece game in it's own right.

:lol:

A Broncos supporter whinging about their TV coverage.

Beautiful.

Canard

Immortal
Unless they go back to two Friday night games on the first round it's unlikely to happen. The other consideration is daylight savings.

To me that the perfect opportunity to schedule two LIVE Friday night games.

7.30pm AEST (6.30 AET) and 9.30pm AEST (8.30 AET).

Souths v Roosters in the the first game, Broncos v Cowboys in the next.

40K+ at both games and rating there arse off.

Start the season off with a bang.

And like I said, I think we should be moving away from using up our derby games in round 1. Round 1 should be drawing a strong crowd because it's Round 1.

The negative press generated by the "soft" opening doesn't justify it in my mind yet.

docbrown

Coach
Just some logic:

• The premiers should be playing quality opposition at the biggest stadium they can get. As this is the biggest game of the week (and you want the biggest crowd) you need to make sure it doesn't get shifted to Thursday
  • Hence why Broncos on a Thursday is required (home or away). But if in Brisbane it also helps ensure for big crowds and a good midweek kickoff time
  • Need to ensure that the 3rd pick game for Monday night is strong enough so that matches that shouldn't be moved from other key slots aren't selected instead - i.e. Monday night needs to be some kind of top 8 match up from last year
  • A game in Melbourne (no AFL)
  • Two big Sydney teams on Sunday afternoon at either Parramatta, SFS or Stadium Australia (to ensure another big crowd)
  • Likewise the grand final runner up home at a big stadium
  • Aim to ensure majority of home games in Round 1 for last year's top 8 (but remember if you use them up you could get stuck with 15 v 16 and a poor crowd)
  • After the key games are locked in, next have the wooden spooners play away against one of the remaining teams, the one most likely to still draw the largest crowd against them
  • Avoid the Sunday 2pm arvo slot because of potential heat (this leans towards a Warriors 4pm local home game)
  • Minimise Cowboys home games during the start of the season but if they're successful in the previous year one game to capitalise before their road trip is logical
  • If possible daylight Raiders matches during the start of the season (but to maximise Round 1 crowds better if left for Round 2 if off the back of a poor season)
  • If not used already Newcastle offers potential for a large opening crowd regardless of previous performance
  • Minimise using up your derby games, grand final rematches, big event games & other matches likely to be played during Rounds 2 to 8 -- if you use all the big ones up now you have few left for the other rounds - keep the majority of those for spreading out across the season, holidays and for the (2) rivalry rounds

Diesel

Referee

Then if we have more Thursday nights, we should get something back like Sunday arvo finals, or dear I ask for a twilight GF (unrealistic after the GF ratings)

docbrown

Coach
To me that the perfect opportunity to schedule two LIVE Friday night games.

7.30pm AEST (6.30 AET) and 9.30pm AEST (8.30 AET).

Souths v Roosters in the the first game, Broncos v Cowboys in the next.

Surely it's time to move away from 8:30pm kickoffs?

On a Thursday it's 8:10pm AEDT and 7:10pm AET. The Broncos are probably locked on Fridays for the rest of the year, a Thursday isn't the end of the world for them.

If you want a bang why not Broncos vs Bulldogs Rd 1, Broncos vs Cowboys Rd 3?

Why use up the rivalry game in Round 1?

But like I said it's moot. 1 game Thursday & 1 game Friday is here for the next few years.

The negative press generated by the "soft" opening doesn't justify it in my mind yet.

The 2014 opening was too soft. Read the criteria I just wrote as to how to construct Round 1 without falling back on turning it into Rivalry Round Mark 2...

pHyR3

Juniors
Game in melbourne essential and souths on friday night. Season opener preferably something like the broncos who will pull a 30k+ crowd regardless of when it is. 2am on a tuesday or sunday arvo at 3pm.

Card Shark

Immortal
Then if we have more Thursday nights, we should get something back like Sunday arvo finals, or dear I ask for a twilight GF (unrealistic after the GF ratings)

I'd trade off for Sunday arvo live, kickoff 4 pm. Telecast starts 3.30.

Going into the 6pm news, Nein should be happy with that as they can recoup their outlay from advertisement $ .

Card Shark

Immortal
Game in melbourne essential and souths on friday night. Season opener preferably something like the broncos who will pull a 30k+ crowd regardless of when it is. 2am on a tuesday or sunday arvo at 3pm.

An inner city game in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne might work best on Thursday nights?

Canard

Immortal
The 2014 opening was too soft. Read the criteria I just wrote as to how to construct Round 1 without falling back on turning it into Rivalry Round Mark 2...

Minimise using up your derby games, grand final rematches, big event games & other matches likely to be played during Rounds 2 to 8 -- if you use all the big ones up now you have few left for the other rounds - keep the majority of those for spreading out across the season, holidays and for the (2) rivalry rounds

I understand your logic, I just believe that minimising event games in Rd 1 is too soft an opening.

Why settle for 30K for example with the Broncos, when 45K is a great start to the season and builds the hype from the get go.

Card Shark

Immortal
If it's all about the crowds (which it isn't IMO), play at least 2 games at ANZ & 1 @ Suncorp.

Sell very cheap seats to the unpopular seating areas - $5 kids, $10 adults, $25 family? Have to entice the non-season ticket holders....Then sign em up on the night, refunding their admission.

Perhaps the 3 or 4 teams that use ANZ (Rabbits, Dogs & Tigers / Dragons) could all host a home game over the first weekend - Friday night, Saturday night & Sunday arvo?

insert.pause

First Grade
I understand your logic, I just believe that minimising event games in Rd 1 is too soft an opening.

Why settle for 30K for example with the Broncos, when 45K is a great start to the season and builds the hype from the get go.

if they start treating it like the traditional blockbuster again they could get 50k+ like it use to.

insert.pause

First Grade
Just some logic:

• The premiers should be playing quality opposition at the biggest stadium they can get. As this is the biggest game of the week (and you want the biggest crowd) you need to make sure it doesn't get shifted to Thursday
  • Hence why Broncos on a Thursday is required (home or away). But if in Brisbane it also helps ensure for big crowds and a good midweek kickoff time

Putting your biggest crowd puller on thursday nights is not going to improve average attendance, it will drop it.

Latest posts