What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draw 2015

Surely it's time to move away from 8:30pm kickoffs?

On a Thursday it's 8:10pm AEDT and 7:10pm AET. The Broncos are probably locked on Fridays for the rest of the year, a Thursday isn't the end of the world for them.

If you want a bang why not Broncos vs Bulldogs Rd 1, Broncos vs Cowboys Rd 3?

Why use up the rivalry game in Round 1?

But like I said it's moot. 1 game Thursday & 1 game Friday is here for the next few years.

The 2014 opening was too soft. Read the criteria I just wrote as to how to construct Round 1 without falling back on turning it into Rivalry Round Mark 2...

Generally I'd agree with you, but for the first 6 weeks or so (ie during day light savings) its a no brainer IMO if it means 2 lives games on FTA.

And I think the "traffic" risk of a 7.10pm game, is worse than the "lateness" of a 8.30pm game. Lesser of the two evils.

docbrown

Coach
I understand your logic, I just believe that minimising event games in Rd 1 is too soft an opening.

Why settle for 30K for example with the Broncos, when 45K is a great start to the season and builds the hype from the get go.

They finished 8th last year. If they can average 34k for a season but can't pull 40k+ to a general opener off the back of that then that's a poor reflection.

If it were a Thursday night & Friday night doubleheader the Broncos vs Cowboys game would be no problem but that's not the reality. It's 1 Thursday & 1 Friday. For the rest of this TV rights deal we're unlikely to see Broncos vs Cowboys on the Friday. It's not wishful thinking, just the reality.

If it's all about the crowds (which it isn't IMO), play at least 2 games at ANZ & 1 @ Suncorp.

I agree. I suggested Broncos @ Suncorp Thursday, Rabbitohs @ ANZ Friday, Bulldogs @ ANZ Sunday.

Putting your biggest crowd puller on thursday nights is not going to improve average attendance, it will drop it.

Last year's premiers the Rabbitohs vs last year's minor premiers the Roosters @ Stadium Australia is capable of drawing 50-60k on a Friday night.

Believe me it's a choice between playing that Thursday or Friday you know on a Thursday they won't get close to that. I'd rather add 20-30k onto that game and play it on the Friday.

Generally I'd agree with you, but for the first 6 weeks or so (ie during day light savings) its a no brainer IMO if it means 2 lives games on FTA.

Again though we're talking Round 1 and we're likely to have 1 Thursday & 1 Friday, not a double header.

I wasn't suggesting we can eliminate the 8:30 kickoffs entirely but we can minimise them - say 1 to 2 Broncos 8:30pm home games max during that period.

And I think the "traffic" risk of a 7.10pm game, is worse than the "lateness" of a 8.30pm game. Lesser of the two evils.

It seems acceptable for Monday night football for most of the year so a one-off Thursday game should be too. It could even be 7:30pm depending on what the NRL/9 want to do.

insert.pause

First Grade
Last year's premiers the Rabbitohs vs last year's minor premiers the Roosters @ Stadium Australia is capable of drawing 50-60k on a Friday night.

Believe me it's a choice between playing that Thursday or Friday you know on a Thursday they won't get close to that. I'd rather add 20-30k onto that game and play it on the Friday.

Based on this years prelim with absolutely everything in its favour I would say it is highly unlikely it would get anywhere near 50k, let alone 60k, and whatever you gain in sydney you would likely lose in Brisbane, making zero difference to the average.

docbrown

Coach
Based on this years prelim with absolutely everything in its favour I would say it is highly unlikely it would get anywhere near 50k, let alone 60k, and whatever you gain in sydney you would likely lose in Brisbane, making zero difference to the average.

When the same Friday Night Round 26 game in 2013 could draw just shy of 60k the 53k to the 2014 Prelim Final was an undersell. That prelim final was capable of drawing 70k+, most all Sydney finals involving at least 1 big 5 team are.

So 50-60k for the premiers vs minor premiers for the Friday opener is a reasonable number.

So shifting it to Thursday so Broncos can play Cowboys on Friday (when they can play that in another round anyway) is kind of silly.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
They finished 8th last year. If they can average 34k for a season but can't pull 40k+ to a general opener off the back of that then that's a poor reflection.

If it were a Thursday night & Friday night doubleheader the Broncos vs Cowboys game would be no problem but that's not the reality. It's 1 Thursday & 1 Friday. For the rest of this TV rights deal we're unlikely to see Broncos vs Cowboys on the Friday. It's not wishful thinking, just the reality.

I agree. I suggested Broncos @ Suncorp Thursday, Rabbitohs @ ANZ Friday, Bulldogs @ ANZ Sunday.

I think your likely 100% right.

Its a shame though as it will be result in bad PR for the game,

As this will be two years running that crowds will be "reported" by the media as being down, as there is no way the Broncos will get 40K in Rd 1 on Thursday night v Bulldogs, Penrith etc.

Its why by the time the next TV contract comes around the game needs to be in control of scheduling, not the other way around.

docbrown

Coach
Its why by the time the next TV contract comes around the game needs to be in control of scheduling, not the other way around.

Yeah well it makes the draw a pain in the ass. That's why you have to make sure you schedule games in such a way that you get the slots where you want them. Call it a "next-best" draw if that makes sense. As I said before, Foxtel ain't got pick Warriors vs Titans over a derby game in Round 1.

I mean instead of rivalry round we can play these matches in the opener but come rivalry round third rate match ups like Raiders vs Titans (oh the history!) are just going to hit the gates there instead.

We need to build a culture of going to the openers because they're the openers.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
I'd like to see fewer all-Sydney games on Sunday afternoon if that's OK. Why no Warriors games as well? At least they're entertaining to watch.

insert.pause

First Grade
When the same Friday Night Round 26 game in 2013 could draw just shy of 60k the 53k to the 2014 Prelim Final was an undersell. That prelim final was capable of drawing 70k+, most all Sydney finals involving at least 1 big 5 team are.

So 50-60k for the premiers vs minor premiers for the Friday opener is a reasonable number.

So shifting it to Thursday so Broncos can play Cowboys on Friday (when they can play that in another round anyway) is kind of silly.

It may be a reasonable expectation, but based on this season it is still very unrealistic, in all honesty I couldn't see it breaking 40k. I don't see the logic in moving Broncos home games, which draw good crowds, to thursday's just to accommodate clubs that may pick up 10k if the planets align. You won't grow attendances by deliberately sabotaging scheduling of the only club holding the average up each year.

docbrown

Coach
I'd like to see fewer all-Sydney games on Sunday afternoon if that's OK.

Not really, we should be having 1 big game at either Parramatta, SFS or Stadium Australia (or failing that a neighbouring derby game at the suburban grounds) on a Sunday afternoon almost every week.

Why no Warriors games as well? At least they're entertaining to watch.

Warriors should play the opener at home on a Sunday arvo when there's no super rugby on.

It may be a reasonable expectation, but based on this season it is still very unrealistic, in all honesty I couldn't see it breaking 40k. I don't see the logic in moving Broncos home games, which draw good crowds, to thursday's just to accommodate clubs that may pick up 10k if the planets align. You won't grow attendances by deliberately sabotaging scheduling of the only club holding the average up each year.

So more Fridays Broncos matches STAT! ;-)

The league is about more than just one club and I say this as an objective neutral supporter (don't support Broncos or a Sydney club).

insert.pause

First Grade
Not really, we should be having 1 big game at either Parramatta, SFS or Stadium Australia (or failing that a neighbouring derby game at the suburban grounds) on a Sunday afternoon almost every week.

Warriors should play the opener at home on a Sunday arvo when there's no super rugby on.

So more Fridays Broncos matches STAT! ;-)

The league is about more than just one club and I say this as an objective neutral supporter (don't support Broncos or a Sydney club).
Sydney is the problem, that's where the solution has to come from.

Benchmarking has to come in ASAP and start punishing clubs for poor attendances.

In 5 years the Broncos should be averaging 40k, if they don't they shouldn't be eligible for the full grant.

It's time that these selfish sydney club ceo's start to appreciate the bigger picture and if the grant is smaller their remuneration is smaller as well, incentives operate effectively in the corporate world and that's the direction the game is heading.

thorson1987

Coach
I would just be happy for teams not to play each other a 2nd time until they have played the other 14 teams once.

Diesel

Referee
Sydney is the problem, that's where the solution has to come from.

Benchmarking has to come in ASAP and start punishing clubs for poor attendances.

In 5 years the Broncos should be averaging 40k, if they don't they shouldn't be eligible for the full grant.

It's time that these selfish sydney club ceo's start to appreciate the bigger picture and if the grant is smaller their remuneration is smaller as well, incentives operate effectively in the corporate world and that's the direction the game is heading.

100% agree. It's the constant handouts that the same clubs are getting year after year, and they're not learning from it

Card Shark

Immortal
How does that help, taking money off the clubs with less attendees.

That's doubling the pain.

We will end up with an EPL model - only 5 or 6 teams with any genuine chance each year. Not good for the game.

Canard

Immortal
How does that help, taking money off the clubs with less attendees.

That's doubling the pain.

We will end up with an EPL model - only 5 or 6 teams with any genuine chance each year. Not good for the game.

Not to mention if its linked to crowd numbers, teams will just start giving tickets away.

docbrown

Coach
The NRL got to shoulder some of the blame. Their scheduling and promotion last year was mystifying.

They need to be more proactive about the draw and promotion of matches and get better at working with the clubs. The right game, right venue (I'll add right date/time & right promotion too) policy is a step in the right direction just needs to be better executed.

Canard

Immortal
The NRL got to shoulder some of the blame. Their scheduling and promotion last year was mystifying.

They need to be more proactive about the draw and promotion of matches and get better at working with the clubs. The right game, right venue (I'll add right date/time & right promotion too) policy is a step in the right direction just needs to be better executed.

100% This.

insert.pause

First Grade
When you have the ceo of the club that won the comp come out and say he doesn't care what crowd turns up and players not being made available during the week of games that happen to be away games, it's fair to say clubs could be doing a lot more to encourage attendance and it's going to take a carrot and stick approach to get them working together with the game.

Benchmarking can be designed in such a way that it is tailored to the unique circumstances of each club and factors in on field success, it's not about setting unreachable targets, it's about settling targets that promote a change in the way clubs currently think to encourage proactive cooperation and innovation that atm is too easily dismissed as not our problem.

The NRL is not blameless, but they are not entirely responsible either with their efforts largely hampered by clubs indifference, the game has to start working together, the NRL's priorities should also be clublands priorities. Benchmarking aligns priorities and helps clubs identify where the NRL could help them to achieve them.

docbrown

Coach
I know there will be whingers but here goes--

Sea Eagles
(cover North Sydney/Central Coast)
10 @ Brookvale
1 @ Gosford (vs Rabbitohs)
1 @ North Sydney (vs Tigers)
Other big events: heritage & rivalry games
*future rebrand as North Sydney Sea Eagles

Roosters (cover Central Sydney/Central Coast)
10 @ SFS
1 @ Gosford (vs Knights)
1 @ Country for Country Round
+ reciprocal away matches against teams that play at SFS (Tigers & Dragons)
Other big events: ANZAC, Easter Sunday, heritage & rivalry games

Rabbitohs (cover Sydney/WA)
10 @ Stadium Oz
2 @ Perth (vs Warriors & Brisbane etc)
Away @ Gosford vs Sea Eagles
Away @ Country Round
+ reciprocal away matches against teams that play at Stadium Oz (Dragons, Eels, Tigers & Bulldogs)
Other big events: Good Friday, Queen's Birthday Sunday, heritage, rivalry, big 5 matches

Tigers (cover South West & Inner West Sydney)
4 @ Campbelltown (vs Panthers, Sharks etc)
3 @ Stadium Australia (vs Eels, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs)
2 @ SFS (vs Roosters & Dragons)
3 @ Leichardt (vs Sea Eagles etc)
Away @ North Sydney vs Sea Eagles
Away @ Country Round
+ reciprocal away matches against teams that play at Stadium Oz (Dragons, Eels, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs)
Other big events: Easter Sunday, Queen's Birthday Monday, heritage, rivalry, big 5 matches, Western Sydney cup
*rebrand as Western Sydney Tigers

Bulldogs (cover Inner South West Sydney & South Australia)
10 @ Stadium Oz
1 @ Adelaide (possible against Storm)
1 @ Country for Country Round
+ reciprocal away matches against teams that play at Stadium Oz (Dragons, Eels, Tigers & Rabbitohs)
Other big events: Good Friday, Queen's Birthday Monday, heritage, rivalry, big 5 matches, Western Sydney cup

Eels (cover Western Sydney & Northern Territory)
8 @ Parramatta
3 @ Stadium Oz (against Bulldogs, Rabbitohs & Tigers)
1 @ Darwin (vs Cowboys)
Away @ Country Round
+ reciprocal away matches against teams that play at Stadium Oz (Dragons, Bulldogs, Tigers & Rabbitohs)
Other big events: Easter Monday, Queen's Birthday Sunday heritage, rivalry, big 5 matches, Western Sydney cup

Panthers (cover North West Sydney & NSW Central Regional)
10 @ Penrith
1 @ NSW Country (Central) for Country Round
1 @ Cairns (vs Cowboys)
Other big events: Heritage, rivalry, Western Sydney cup

Dragons (cover Sydney & Illawarra)
3 @ Stadium Australia (Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Tigers or Eels)
3 @ Kogarah (vs Sharks, Sea Eagles etc)
1 @ SFS (vs Roosters)
5 @ Wollongong (vs Raiders, Knights, 1 big 5 Sydney team etc)
+ reciprocal matches against teams at Stadium Australia & SFS
Away @ Country Round
Other big events: ANZAC, Easter Monday, heritage, rivalry, big 5 matches

Sharks (cover Sutherland, NZ & regional Qld)
10 @ Endeavour
1 @ Wellington/Christchurch (vs Warriors)
1 @ Queensland Country for Country Round (vs Broncos, Titans etc)
Other big events: heritage, rivalry matches

Cowboys
(cover Northern Australia)
11 @ Townsville
1 @ Cairns for Country Round
Away @ Cairns
Away @ Darwin
Other big events: Qld derbies, Anzac weekend, heritage, rivalry matches

Broncos (cover Brisbane and Overseas)
12 @ Brisbane
Away @ Perth vs Rabbitohs
Away @ Queensland Country for Country Round
Away @ Roadshow Game vs Raiders
Other big events: ANZAC, develop an Easter match, Qld derbies, heritage, rivalry matches
Schedule to avoid early season heat

Titans (cover Gold Coast, Northern NSW & PNG)
9 @ Gold Coast
1 @ Port Moresby
1 @ Wellington/Christchurch (vs Warriors)
1 @ NSW Country (North) vs Knights for Country Round
Other big events: Qld derbies, heritage, rivalry matches
Schedule to avoid early season heat

Knights (cover Newcastle, Central Coast & Northern NSW)
11 @ Newcastle
1 @ Gosford vs a Big 5 team
Away @ Gosford vs Roosters
Away @ NSW Country (North) vs Titans for Country Round
Other big events: heritage, rivalry matches

Raiders (cover Canberra, Southern NSW & Tasmania)
10 @ Canberra
1 @ Hobart vs Storm
1 @ Roadshow game vs Broncos (places like Fiji, PNG, China etc)
Away @ NSW Country (South) for Country Round
*emulating the Dallas Cowboys as "Australia's team"
Other big events: ANZAC eve, heritage, rivalry matches
Schedule for more day matches in winter, night matches early autumn & spring

Storm (cover Victoria, South Australia & Tasmania)
12 @ Melbourne
Away @ Adelaide vs Bulldogs
Away @ Hobart vs Raiders
Other big events: ANZAC, Good Friday night, heritage, rivalry matches
Schedule to take advantage of the few AFL free days in Melbourne

Warriors (cover New Zealand)
11 @ Mt Smart
1 @ Eden (vs a big 5 team)
Away @ both Wellington & Christchurch
Away @ Perth
Other big events: NZ Queen's Birthday, heritage, rivalry matches
Schedule to avoid Super 15 conflicts in Auckland

Avoid 2pm games early on
Make daylight savings match fit correctly
1 big Sydney match at Parramatta, SFS or Stadium Australia most Sunday afternoons
Split Monday night matches more evenly
SCG heritage round game host should rotate
Heritage round should be celebrating club milestones
Two rivalry rounds
Round 22 should feature a Hall Of Fame game at Stadium Australia

Latest posts