What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drew to Chooks?

BLM01

First Grade
Hi SBD82
Let's take this to a more appropriate thread.

See above.
=============================================================================
Drew looked like a good half. Seemingly had plenty of time. Ran straight. He got precious few chances to show it with us but I think he is going to show at the Roosters he knows when to run deep into the opposition defence, pass early or kick. At least a decent kicking game and decent defence.

It's no wonder the Roosters have picked him up.

It would have been nice if he had a little support when he got a chance with us but alas. Not such a catastrophe. Drew looks like a good NRL half in the making but I'd much prefer the Hunt-Norman combo.
He never looked like a good half..and you judged that in how many 1st grade games.
He was too slow and especially after he did his knee cant say he will be any quicker.
He looked like a back rower with OK kicking and passing skills if anything.

DragonJ

Juniors
He never looked like a good half..and you judged that in how many 1st grade games.
He was too slow and especially after he did his knee cant say he will be any quicker.
He looked like a back rower with OK kicking and passing skills if anything.

I hate to do it because I have never been gracious in defeat but I'm going to have to trust Trent Robinsons judgement over yours. Mitchell Moses is also slow but he runs straight, takes the ball right to the line and has time to decide whether to run himself, pass or kick depending on what is in front of him. I could be wrong but I think Hutchinson is similar to this.

IMO Norman is like that too but has even more tricks up his sleeve.

Oh please. He was locked in to be the starting halfback for the entire 2017 season and then he did his ACL in the preseason. What the f**k did you want Mary to do?
Simple answer is to give him game time much earlier.
We had sets of misfiring halves at various stages and there were plenty of opportunities to inject him into the mix if Mary had the balls to make a call.
The ACL injury just put an exclamation mark on the whole episode and soon after we showed him the door.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Easts will have bought Drew and Lamb as back up. Neither will be be their first choice half when Cronk retires.

Drew is too big, too slow for first grade halfback.

DragonJ

Juniors
Easts will have bought Drew and Lamb as back up. Neither will be be their first choice half when Cronk retires.

Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell. I think he is going to a have a good career in the NRL in the halves.

watatank

Coach

Neither will be first choice, Keary will be first choice. The question is will Lamb or Hutchison be good enough to partner Keary in the halves or will they go out and buy someone else.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Neither will be first choice, Keary will be first choice. The question is will Lamb or Hutchison be good enough to partner Keary in the halves or will they go out and buy someone else.
Easts will buy someone else, neither are good enough for Easts.

Drag Queen

Bench
Simple answer is to give him game time much earlier.
We had sets of misfiring halves at various stages and there were plenty of opportunities to inject him into the mix if Mary had the balls to make a call.
The ACL injury just put an exclamation mark on the whole episode and soon after we showed him the door.
Nope,@ JDHD is right on the money here. Drew had a fairly decent year with the Cutters in 2016 under JD, but I'm reluctant to call him a naturally born half back. McGregor did have him paired with Widdop for 2017 until he did his ACL in the pre-season. He did alright for Leigh, a relegated English team who are still only championship level. This story did come from 'The Mole' right?

rasaint

Juniors
Good luck to Drew. I hate seeing any player down with ACLs. Many never really come back that well. Tedesco probably the most notable exception.

My memory of Drew was a strong looking player. Lacked dash but hey played a few games in the NRL. In the 2016 2nd grade team played well.

Drag Queen

Bench
I hate to do it because I have never been gracious in defeat but I'm going to have to trust Trent Robinsons judgement over yours. Mitchell Moses is also slow but he runs straight, takes the ball right to the line and has time to decide whether to run himself, pass or kick depending on what is in front of him. I could be wrong but I think Hutchinson is similar to this.

IMO Norman is like that too but has even more tricks up his sleeve.
You're actually the dumb and dumber guy. Moses isn't slow but he has a tendency to rub people the wrong way, much like yourself.

Drag Queen

Bench
Good luck to Drew. I hate seeing any player down with ACLs. Many never really come back that well. Tedesco probably the most notable exception.

My memory of Drew was a strong looking player. Lacked dash but hey played a few games in the NRL. In the 2016 2nd grade team played well.
I was at that game when Drew's kicking effectively won us that game. From memory it was 21-20 against the Mounties. McGregor was nowhere to be seen. Quite a few first graders showed up to cheer them on though. Merrin, Marshall and Widdop were there.

DragonJ

Juniors
and I hit more bullseyes than anyone. You still think that Aitken is going to play centre for NSW. lol
Given the ridiculous, politically motivated selection policies of NSW teams, if we had a big name in the head office or coaching staff, Aitken only needed to out together 1 or 2 good games in a winning team to be selected.

But as for Drew, he will likely make it in the halves. Runs straight to the line, has time look at what is in front of him and run himself, kick or pass. Defence is solid. He is on the slow and big side for a halfback in particular but in the age where apparently 1/2 and 5/8 are largely interchangeable, he will make it at 1/2 or 5/8.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Hi SBD82
Let's take this to a more appropriate thread.

See above.
=============================================================================
Drew looked like a good half. Seemingly had plenty of time. Ran straight. He got precious few chances to show it with us but I think he is going to show at the Roosters he knows when to run deep into the opposition defence, pass early or kick. At least a decent kicking game and decent defence.

It's no wonder the Roosters have picked him up.

It would have been nice if he had a little support when he got a chance with us but alas. Not such a catastrophe. Drew looks like a good NRL half in the making but I'd much prefer the Hunt-Norman combo.

Hutchinson’s is disproof to the adage that “size matters”. In truth, he is simply too big for the halves, and therefore lacks nippiness (which probably isn’t a legitimate word but I’m sure you get the picture). As many have previously commented, he might be better suited at lock. Injuries haven’t helped.