What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT: Tim Smith leaves dark place for comeback

strider

Post Whore
dog? does tim have a dog? .. tbh I don't see why having a dog should count against him - dogs are cool

fanaticeel

Juniors
It's funny how a player polarizes fans. I suppose my own take is that when he was with us and our forwards went forward they laid a good platform for Tim to play off and set the backs.

The problem may be that he'd need to get out of the way when Jarryd asks for the ball, which is what he's doing a lot these days...dare I say kinda like a number 6.. :sarcasm:

Anyway my own feeling is ...if Robson goes to the UK and it seems he may because the money is more than he could earn here though I'm a Robson fan..then with KK back next year at 6 and morts at 7 I'd take Timmy.

But tbh I think he'd be spending a lot of time playing for Wenty. So maybe if he wants 60k a year as a back up half to what is shaping as a very good side next year then I say yeah why not.

For sure the kid had some issues but sheesh for 60k and part of our second tier roster I think it'd could be a cheap gamble. There could be a clause to release him for whatever reason afterall he'd be on his last chance. Not just with us but in the NRL.

And if KK or Morts gets injured then we could have further discussion on whether he'd be good for the team.

Anyway its my 5 cents worth (as they fazed out 2 cent coins quite a while ago)

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
That's fine and dandy, but will he stop acting like a tool if he throws a bad pass which is dropped? That's something I never respected him for - he'd throw a hospital pass to his teammate, who'd get smashed and drop the ball and then he would have the gall to unleash his fury on them

You can label it as "competitiveness", but I prefer to see it as a big ego.

No, it was called pressure and immaturity.

He was built up to be more than he could be at that early stage of his career. He also fell into the hands of the wrong influence (mateship) which eroded away whatever was left of his sanity to keep him on the straight and narrow.

With the late-nights and feel-good alcohol swooning through his brain to compensate for the pressure he was under and subconsciously (he didn't think it through to realise the harm he was actually doing to himself) trying to put a lid on the GROWING issues of his lack of self-esteem, self-respect & self-confidence, the fractures caused by all the harm-doing broke out on to the surface for all to see.

The heart (soul) of the MAN was actually screaming out for help but his head filled of all the bullsh*t he was being fed by others around him kept him in fantasyland unable to come to terms with the reality of his crumbling life where it was at, at the time.

A crumbling life that he was not prepared for!!!!!

Losing to the Storm in the last semi in Melb 2007 took a lot out of him. He probably blamed himself for the teams loss. He knew they were so very very close to beating the Storm that day. When you add on the capitulation in the last semi to the Cowboys in 2005 and the loss to Melb in the 1st semi 2006 (they were very very close to winning that game as well) and with his growing lack of self-esteem, self-respect and self-confidence kicking in, he took ALL the pressure unto himself. TIM SUFFERED. HE TOOK IT ALL TO HEART AND FELT DEEP-DOWN HE WAS A FAILURE. He might not have admitted this but his suffering reveals this fact. He loved the Club, the team, the adoring fans etc, and as the manufactured built up promised messiah, the second coming, the next incarnation of Peter Sterling, he really wanted to win a premiership for all involved and live up to all the expectations and dreams placed on him.

Timmy was living his life for everyone else. He had forgotten about his life and how important it was to take care it.

Shame shame shame on all the Eels fans, officials and media reps etc who turned on Tim Smith.

Thumbs Down they all said.....

Police_Verso.jpg

He kept getting both subliminal signals and blatant-up-front messages that he was to blame, that he was not good enough, that he can't hack the big games that count etc etc (the critical negativity of the Eels fans compounded by the extreme darkness of the media) and that he was NOT the next Peter Sterling (the evidence was there to justify such bullsh*t claims) and without a Paul Osborne and Daniel Anderson to truly protect Timmy, in the most part he was left almost alone to handle everything he was going through......... under the supposed protection of the Eels club.

Shame shame shame...

As a brilliant young player coming through the ranks, being told how good he was year after year until end of season 2005, without the evidence to tell him that he wasn't, Timmy did not have to deal with self-esteem, self-respect & self-confidence issues. Why would he, he was on cloud 9, compliments of everyone who put him up there and compliments to those who did not detect the doubts (the negativity) that started to creep in to his makeup.

It would be so very easy to point the finger of blame at those responsible for the demise of a young MAN, a fast growing boy who should have been protected and nurtured at a time in his life when he really needed it.

Shame shame shame on all those responsible for letting Tim down.....

I guess with the loss of Brian Smith 2006 this departure took its toll on Timmy because Brian would have been there to help Timmy through this most dark period of his life. Timmy's football father figure (THE COACH) the MAN he looked up to when he joined the Eels as a kid, the MAN he looked up to as he worked his way up through the ranks, the MAN who embodied his dream of Premiership glory, the coach he saw together with his team mates holding the premiership trophy was gone.

A lot of sh*t was going on behind the scenes but Denis Fitzgerald was too blind to see what was really going on and incapable of doing anything about it. Yes 18 months or so has now passed, a new coach and ceo are now on board heading in the right direction, providing the family and nurturing environment Timmy always needed to blossom and Timmy is still being punished by those responsible for Timmy's fall in the first instance.

Shame shame shame on the Eels community...

Now comes the time to make right what has been made wrong. Timmy's heart is still with the Eels so let him fulfill his dream with the club he loves so dearly, a club he broke his arse for, and ALL Eels supporters should get behind Timmy and his true passion for premiership glory. The best years of Timmy are all before him. Let the Eels be the one to benefit from Timmy growing up.

If we let Timmy go, it will be Timmy who will steal premierships from the Eels in the years to come and those of the Eels will still have not learnt the lessons from the legacy of the great MAN Jack Gibson.

Wake Up Eels Supporters and officials etc.....

A great club is built on a family of MAN/WOMAN, who serve each other, who truly care for each other, and most definitely is not built on soulless fictional $$$$$$, assets and trophies.

Boooooooooooo Casper
icon7.gif

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
Long time, first time. And for my first post I thought I might point out that being a high profile, potential match winning halfback who's only asking for $50000 with a lot of clubs lacking even a decent first string half, doesn't it seem odd that no one has signed him as yet? Regardless of his baggage.

I reckon Tim has signed with a top 8 club and they aren't announcing it to keep the pressure off the current halves...

Suitman

Post Whore
Long time, first time. And for my first post I thought I might point out that being a high profile, potential match winning halfback who's only asking for $50000 with a lot of clubs lacking even a decent first string half, doesn't it seem odd that no one has signed him as yet? Regardless of his baggage.

I reckon Tim has signed with a top 8 club and they aren't announcing it to keep the pressure off the current halves...

Good thought. Welcome by the way.

Manly.

Tim Smith $50 000

or

Matt Orford $squillions

Suity

84 Baby

Referee
Thanks Suitman.

All in all I believe that some time early October we'll find someone in the NRL has taken a $50000 gamble. Centrebet should open the betting market sometime next week.

My money (as always) is on the Blue & Golds

lewiscook

Juniors
TIMMM SMITHHH IS NOT f**kINGGG COMING BACK TO PARRRRRAAAAAAA!

im a fan of his but im getting sick of the constant debating about him when he is CLEARRRLY NOT COMINNN BACK!:(

IFR33K

Coach
All this talk about TS is pointless.

There would probably be more satisfaction, in banging my head against a brick wall.:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Bazal

Post Whore
TIMMM SMITHHH IS NOT f**kINGGG COMING BACK TO PARRRRRAAAAAAA!

im a fan of his but im getting sick of the constant debating about him when he is CLEARRRLY NOT COMINNN BACK!:(

Just to add a LIIIIIIITLE bit of fuel to the fire with something I heard from a mate (take it as you will, I certainly treat is as the rumour it is)...He (and he alone, no managers) has DEFINITELY spoken to Parramatta as well as three other clubs (rumoured to be Wests, Canberra and Titans) BUT he may or may not come back next year to anyone.

Just something I heard, I put no more credence in it than any other rumour.

IFR33K

Coach
Just to add a LIIIIIIITLE bit of fuel to the fire with something I heard from a mate (take it as you will, I certainly treat is as the rumour it is)...He (and he alone, no managers) has DEFINITELY spoken to Parramatta as well as three other clubs (rumoured to be Wests, Canberra and Titans) BUT he may or may not come back next year to anyone.

Still plenty of time before a ball is kicked next year. If a team loses its half back early in the year, they can always pick up TS.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No, it was called pressure and immaturity.

He was built up to be more than he could be at that early stage of his career. He also fell into the hands of the wrong influence (mateship) which eroded away whatever was left of his sanity to keep him on the straight and narrow.

With the late-nights and feel-good alcohol swooning through his brain to compensate for the pressure he was under and subconsciously (he didn't think it through to realise the harm he was actually doing to himself) trying to put a lid on the GROWING issues of his lack of self-esteem, self-respect & self-confidence, the fractures caused by all the harm-doing broke out on to the surface for all to see.

The heart (soul) of the MAN was actually screaming out for help but his head filled of all the bullsh*t he was being fed by others around him kept him in fantasyland unable to come to terms with the reality of his crumbling life where it was at, at the time.

A crumbling life that he was not prepared for!!!!!

Losing to the Storm in the last semi in Melb 2007 took a lot out of him. He probably blamed himself for the teams loss. He knew they were so very very close to beating the Storm that day. When you add on the capitulation in the last semi to the Cowboys in 2005 and the loss to Melb in the 1st semi 2006 (they were very very close to winning that game as well) and with his growing lack of self-esteem, self-respect and self-confidence kicking in, he took ALL the pressure unto himself. TIM SUFFERED. HE TOOK IT ALL TO HEART AND FELT DEEP-DOWN HE WAS A FAILURE. He might not have admitted this but his suffering reveals this fact. He loved the Club, the team, the adoring fans etc, and as the manufactured built up promised messiah, the second coming, the next incarnation of Peter Sterling, he really wanted to win a premiership for all involved and live up to all the expectations and dreams placed on him.

Timmy was living his life for everyone else. He had forgotten about his life and how important it was to take care it.

Shame shame shame on all the Eels fans, officials and media reps etc who turned on Tim Smith.

Thumbs Down they all said.....

Police_Verso.jpg

He kept getting both subliminal signals and blatant-up-front messages that he was to blame, that he was not good enough, that he can't hack the big games that count etc etc (the critical negativity of the Eels fans compounded by the extreme darkness of the media) and that he was NOT the next Peter Sterling (the evidence was there to justify such bullsh*t claims) and without a Paul Osborne and Daniel Anderson to truly protect Timmy, in the most part he was left almost alone to handle everything he was going through......... under the supposed protection of the Eels club.

Shame shame shame...

As a brilliant young player coming through the ranks, being told how good he was year after year until end of season 2005, without the evidence to tell him that he wasn't, Timmy did not have to deal with self-esteem, self-respect & self-confidence issues. Why would he, he was on cloud 9, compliments of everyone who put him up there and compliments to those who did not detect the doubts (the negativity) that started to creep in to his makeup.

It would be so very easy to point the finger of blame at those responsible for the demise of a young MAN, a fast growing boy who should have been protected and nurtured at a time in his life when he really needed it.

Shame shame shame on all those responsible for letting Tim down.....

I guess with the loss of Brian Smith 2006 this departure took its toll on Timmy because Brian would have been there to help Timmy through this most dark period of his life. Timmy's football father figure (THE COACH) the MAN he looked up to when he joined the Eels as a kid, the MAN he looked up to as he worked his way up through the ranks, the MAN who embodied his dream of Premiership glory, the coach he saw together with his team mates holding the premiership trophy was gone.

A lot of sh*t was going on behind the scenes but Denis Fitzgerald was too blind to see what was really going on and incapable of doing anything about it. Yes 18 months or so has now passed, a new coach and ceo are now on board heading in the right direction, providing the family and nurturing environment Timmy always needed to blossom and Timmy is still being punished by those responsible for Timmy's fall in the first instance.

Shame shame shame on the Eels community...

Now comes the time to make right what has been made wrong. Timmy's heart is still with the Eels so let him fulfill his dream with the club he loves so dearly, a club he broke his arse for, and ALL Eels supporters should get behind Timmy and his true passion for premiership glory. The best years of Timmy are all before him. Let the Eels be the one to benefit from Timmy growing up.

If we let Timmy go, it will be Timmy who will steal premierships from the Eels in the years to come and those of the Eels will still have not learnt the lessons from the legacy of the great MAN Jack Gibson.

Wake Up Eels Supporters and officials etc.....

A great club is built on a family of MAN/WOMAN, who serve each other, who truly care for each other, and most definitely is not built on soulless fictional $$$$$$, assets and trophies.

Boooooooooooo Casper
icon7.gif

Casper, I respect you and your opinion. But with all said due respect, that's a cop out - he's a man of 20-odd years (21 at the time of his debut) and if he couldn't see what he needed to do and needed to not do in order to go about doing things the right way, then I cannot fathom how that is anyone else's fault bar Tim and his parents for raising him in such a manner.

I don't mean to be rude or harsh - I know he suffers from a debilitating illness and, in all honesty, his parents did a fine job raising him. I mean, I remember being a tad annoyed that he was leaving - but at least he had the courtesy and decency to ask for a release and only leave when it was granted. His parents raised a great young man.

No, my point is more about how society seems to think it's important to protect these young players and shelter them like they are different to everybody else. If he went out and got pissed every night, why should others be blamed? If he was desperately crying out for help, why did he not turn to somebody for it - I am led to believe he had a very close-knit family.

If he were to become an Eel again I would support him, of course. I am a proud supporter of the club, not of the players. And I do honestly hope he gets himself right mentally, regardless of his decision to play football again or not.

But I'm afraid that Tim is to blame for Tim's position. He's a man, and as such, he is to respond to the callings regarding his person.

parra pete

Referee

Hope it is Wests or Titans....please NOT the Raiders..

Just got rid of Carney...you don't need another.

Latest posts