What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual Internationals Other than league / union combo

Yngwie_70

Juniors
I was wondering if anybody could come up with any dual internationals that played RL and some other sport other than Union. I can think of Michael Cleary but I was wondering if there are others.

Regards

Calixte

First Grade
Johnny Bliss was the most successful beach sprinter of all time and won the Australian Beach Championship 5 times. He also played for Australia in rugby league.

Wally McArthur was a gifted Aboriginal runner from South Australia who went on to have a highly successful professional career in English rugby league.

Ken Irvine held the world record for professional sprinting at one stage (110 yards I think?) and played 31 Tests for Australia in rugby league.

Calixte

First Grade
George Smith played Test rugby league and rugby union for NZ, won the New Zealand Cup as a jockey (at 18) and held numerous NZ athletics records.

He may well win overall... ;-)

JB

Juniors
Adrian Lam, Mark McClinden, Chris Flannery, Tim Brasher, Ben Sammut, Joe Williams, Benji Marshall - Australia Touch

Ritchie Barnett - NZ Touch

Brent Todd - NZ Waterpolo

Calixte

First Grade
Bevan Hough - Kiwi Test RL winger from the 1950s was also a Commonwealth Games Silver Medal winner for the long jump...

yappy

Bench
Whilst he didn't play league Snowy Baker played union tests, and represented Australia in swimming, diving and boxing in the 1908 Olympics (winning a silver medal in the boxing).

Abz

Juniors
I can remember some South African went from playing golf to playing Tennis (or the other way around) and another South African played in the cricket world Cup for South African last year and also played for them in the Rugby Union world cup.

Also Anthony Mundine... played for Australia in League and now in boxing. (Yes i'm aware, boxing is not a team sport but he does represent Australia).

Swany

Juniors
Jeff Wilson is a Kiwi dual international in cricket and rugby. Can't be too many people who have marked David Campese, Jonah Lomu etc and faced Warne & McGrath too.

leffwilson_wideweb__430x387.jpg

Brian McKechnie is another All Black who played cricket for NZ and in fact had to face Trevor Chapells infamous underarm ball at the MCG in 81.

1981Underarm.jpg

watatank

Coach
Nova Peris won Olympic Gold playing for the Hockeyroos and then won Commonwealth Gold in athletics (one of the relays IIRC).

I can remember some South African went from playing golf to playing Tennis (or the other way around) and another South African played in the cricket world Cup for South African last year and also played for them in the Rugby Union world cup.

Also Anthony Mundine... played for Australia in League and now in boxing. (Yes i'm aware, boxing is not a team sport but he does represent Australia).

Mundine never represented Australia in Rugby League. Solomon Haumono did however (97 SL). And boxes.

Remember when Haumono took off from the Dogs and went over to London to hook up with that tasty Gabrielle Richens? Mundine was all "I'm gonna go over there and bring my brother Solo back." And he did...and wore overalls with one of the sides down, tryna look gangsta on the flight back. How come Mundine doesn't go over and bring SBW back the merkin. :lol: f**kin drove him to the airport n sh*t.

Latest posts