What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual Internationals Other than league / union combo

Teddyboy

First Grade
A bit off subject but what League team did Peter Sullivan go too who was a Wallaby in the early 70's.

Abz

Juniors
Mundine never represented Australia in Rugby League. Solomon Haumono did however (97 SL). And boxes.

Remember when Haumono took off from the Dogs and went over to London to hook up with that tasty Gabrielle Richens? Mundine was all "I'm gonna go over there and bring my brother Solo back." And he did...and wore overalls with one of the sides down, tryna look gangsta on the flight back. How come Mundine doesn't go over and bring SBW back the merkin. :lol: f**kin drove him to the airport n sh*t.
I thought Mundine played 1 game for Australia off the bench? Oh well... I guess he probably would've played some games seeing he played origin but we'll never know.

I remember that about Mundine and now the merkin does the biggest backflip 10 years later and supports his "brother" going to Europe :lol:

I also don't think SBW was on the phone to Mundine after his boxing match last week... all a publicity stunt.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Just when everyone is saying the Sharks so be merged/moved etc the crowds having been pretty solid this year.

I thought Mundine played 1 game for Australia off the bench? Oh well... I guess he probably would've played some games seeing he played origin but we'll never know.

I remember that about Mundine and now the merkin does the biggest backflip 10 years later and supports his "brother" going to Europe :lol:

I also don't think SBW was on the phone to Mundine after his boxing match last week... all a publicity stunt.

Nah Mundine palyed 0 tests. Not even SL. I'm pretty sure of that. He deserved to though most definitely. Especially in 99.

But yeah that's what I laugh at with this Mundine sh*t. Goes out of his way to bring Solo back who left for the sake of love....and then drives SBW to the f**kin airport.

If SBW left for love everyone would understand IMO. :lol:

RL1908

Bench
A bit off subject but what League team did Peter Sullivan go too who was a Wallaby in the early 70's.

Wallaby captain turned professional with St George in 1974 - a second rower, his Dragons first grade career tallied 1 game.

RL1908

Bench
What happend with that.

Re Wallaby captain Peter O'Sullivan crossing to RL in 1974....haven't got much...

Jack Pollard's RU history book just says..

He was a highly personable fellow, a popular clubman (Gordon RU), and his defection to League shocked Rugby fans. After his first training run with St George league team, he returned to the Gordon Club for a drink with former team-mates, and a veteran rugby supporter called him a "No good bludger, and a turncoat" - Sullivan was the first ARU captain to switch to League since Trevor Allen.

Sullivan was upset by the criticism of Australian selector, Bob Barry, who was reported to have said Aust rugby captains should be "beyond that sort of thing", when Sullivan switched to League. "All I can say is that I thought most rugby people were beyond that sort of thinking," saild Sullivan. "I am not ashamed of what I have done." He said he changed codes to make his future financially secure: "I had the chance to set myself up for life, and I took it."

Pollard doesn't say why Sullivan's RL career amounted to one game. Ian Heads (who wrote the Saints history book) says Sullivan played five or six 2nd grade games, but copped a serious knee injury.

Pollard's book adds that Sullivan turned up a bit later playing RU again in Sth Africa.

And for those that don't know, the IRB & RFU rules against professionalism pre-1995 provided that.....a RL player CAN convert to RU in any district/state/country where there is no RL played. For example, there were former Nthn Union (RL) players in South African RU clubs in the early 1900s.

It was also not a "crime" to play RL, and then play RU, if you played RL in an area where there was no RU available - a number of Queenslanders who played RL in the 1920s were allowed to again play RU for the Waratahs in NSW, and to take up RU in Qld when it re-commenced in 1928. (For example Tommy Lawton: [URL="http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100022b.htm"]http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100022b.htm[/URL])

IanG

Coach
South African played in the cricket world Cup for South African last year and also played for them in the Rugby Union world cup.

He's a Namibian. Rudi Van Vuuran Plays cricket and Rugby and is a doctor

Jeremy Stanley (Son of Smokin Joe & cousin of Chase) played for the All Blacks & the Black Sox. (NZ Softball team)

Teddyboy

First Grade
Re Wallaby captain Peter O'Sullivan crossing to RL in 1974....haven't got much...

Jack Pollard's RU history book just says..

He was a highly personable fellow, a popular clubman (Gordon RU), and his defection to League shocked Rugby fans. After his first training run with St George league team, he returned to the Gordon Club for a drink with former team-mates, and a veteran rugby supporter called him a "No good bludger, and a turncoat" - Sullivan was the first ARU captain to switch to League since Trevor Allen.

Sullivan was upset by the criticism of Australian selector, Bob Barry, who was reported to have said Aust rugby captains should be "beyond that sort of thing", when Sullivan switched to League. "All I can say is that I thought most rugby people were beyond that sort of thinking," saild Sullivan. "I am not ashamed of what I have done." He said he changed codes to make his future financially secure: "I had the chance to set myself up for life, and I took it."

Pollard doesn't say why Sullivan's RL career amounted to one game. Ian Heads (who wrote the Saints history book) says Sullivan played five or six 2nd grade games, but copped a serious knee injury.

Pollard's book adds that Sullivan turned up a bit later playing RU again in Sth Africa.

And for those that don't know, the IRB & RFU rules against professionalism pre-1995 provided that.....a RL player CAN convert to RU in any district/state/country where there is no RL played. For example, there were former Nthn Union (RL) players in South African RU clubs in the early 1900s.

It was also not a "crime" to play RL, and then play RU, if you played RL in an area where there was no RU available - a number of Queenslanders who played RL in the 1920s were allowed to again play RU for the Waratahs in NSW, and to take up RU in Qld when it re-commenced in 1928. (For example Tommy Lawton: [URL]http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100022b.htm[/URL])
Once again another great post.

Cheers mate.

RL1908

Bench
I was wondering if anybody could come up with any dual internationals that played RL and some other sport other than Union. I can think of Michael Cleary but I was wondering if there are others.

Regards

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jim Armstrong (Wagga Waratahs and South Sydney Rabbitohs prop forward) played for NSW and Australia in 1946, before turning to wrestling. He maintained his "amateur status" throughout his rugby league career so as not to jeopardise his higher aspirations in wrestling competitions. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Armstrong won a bronze medal in the heavyweight division of the freestyle wrestling section at the London Olympic Games in 1948. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He then went on to win the heavyweight wrestling title at the 1950 Empire Games in Auckland, and found success again 12 years later at Perth's Empire and Commonwealth Games, finishing third in the light heavyweight division. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Armstrong held the NSW freestyle heavyweight wrestling title for an amazing 20 consecutive years.[/FONT]

http://www.RL1908.com/articles/olympics.htm

mightybears

Bench
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jim Armstrong (Wagga Waratahs and South Sydney Rabbitohs prop forward) played for NSW and Australia in 1946, before turning to wrestling. He maintained his "amateur status" throughout his rugby league career so as not to jeopardise his higher aspirations in wrestling competitions. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Armstrong won a bronze medal in the heavyweight division of the freestyle wrestling section at the London Olympic Games in 1948. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He then went on to win the heavyweight wrestling title at the 1950 Empire Games in Auckland, and found success again 12 years later at Perth's Empire and Commonwealth Games, finishing third in the light heavyweight division. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Armstrong held the NSW freestyle heavyweight wrestling title for an amazing 20 consecutive years.[/FONT]

http://www.RL1908.com/articles/olympics.htm

Had Armstrong turned to pro wresting he would have 'fought' with Max Steyne/Whitehead [Ex Norths and Manly, Mr Chesty Bond etc].

Knownothing

Juniors
Denis Compton represented England at cricket - an absolutely sublime batter from all accounts - and also won the league and an FA Cup with Arsenal. I believe he represented England at soccer during the war (in friendlies) but never in a full international.

My memory is that Peter Sullivan was actually carrying a long term injury when he switched to league.

Latest posts