What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN NEXT

possm

Coach
To me.
Get it done now.
Get on with signing up the player we need to keep.
If duges leaves it all about the money now nothing else.
So get on with signing.
Packer
Mann
Lafai
Milne.
Make the four above the first ones.
Otherwise we will lose all the above.
They need to secure there future
That's great. I haven't said any different to that. Now who do you prefer as our next fullback? And who do you blame for this mess?

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
I hope the rumour is false and Dugan signs on. If he doesn't and goes to the Dogs(or elsewhere)then so be it. I for one wont hold it against him because the days of loyalty in sport has passed by with money having a very big say(realistically we would all find it hard to say no to a significant pay upgrade to move elsewhere).

Regardless we have players coming through and others signed on so the club is slowly getting it together. Let's see where the cards fall.

possm

Coach
I hope the rumour is false and Dugan signs on. If he doesn't and goes to the Dogs(or elsewhere)then so be it. I for one wont hold it against him because the days of loyalty in sport has passed by with money having a very big say(realistically we would all find it hard to say no to a significant pay upgrade to move elsewhere).

Regardless we have players coming through and others signed on so the club is slowly getting it together. Let's see where the cards fall.
Yes well said.

rasaint

Juniors
We can not afford to huge $ long term contracts to players who have shown heir true value to being no where near elite class.

Duges is now 27 and basically does not cause any great concern to the opposition in 2017. Fabulous with raiders late teen / early 20s. Lean and mean with a touch more zip in those days but now settled into being a good standard player. Occasiionally makes a good break but reeled in easily due to lack of speed. Good front on tackler but a fast winger gets around him. My opinion is that if we are to win the comp again, it can not be with a player like Duges in the spine. A guy from work who follows the storm was hoping last week that Duges would be named and not have Nighty at the back with his chimimg, passing and probably faster anyway.

Remember we are talking very large $ for the next 4 years. We are now better managing the cap and I for one simply can not understand the rose coloured glasses in this instance.

Drakon

Juniors
We can not afford to huge $ long term contracts to players who have shown heir true value to being no where near elite class.

Duges is now 27 and basically does not cause any great concern to the opposition in 2017. Fabulous with raiders late teen / early 20s. Lean and mean with a touch more zip in those days but now settled into being a good standard player. Occasiionally makes a good break but reeled in easily due to lack of speed. Good front on tackler but a fast winger gets around him. My opinion is that if we are to win the comp again, it can not be with a player like Duges in the spine. A guy from work who follows the storm was hoping last week that Duges would be named and not have Nighty at the back with his chimimg, passing and probably faster anyway.

Remember we are talking very large $ for the next 4 years. We are now better managing the cap and I for one simply can not understand the rose coloured glasses in this instance.
I like Duges but I must say, my opinion has come around. Every player has their price (value) and it is looking like Duges has gone past his (with regard to what he wants). He saves some tries but by the same token lets some in. As you said - a fast winger gets around him. he doesn't make good decisions in attack. A potential try went begging on the left last game because he didn't pass the ball.

No-one has mentioned Duges in the top 5 fullbacks thread bur Slater and Boyd get a mention. He is not in their league but seemingly wants the same money.

Maybe it is time to move on. Nobody is irreplaceable in the long run.

possm

Coach

I've come to the same conclusion. Let the Dogs have Dugan and we should get on with signing Packer, Mann, Milne and Lafai. If there is any dollars left in our cap, sign a young first grade ready fullback for a year or two.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
That's great. I haven't said and different to that. Now who do you prefer as our next fullback? And who do you blame for this mess?

If duges dosn't sign now is his choice dragons have made him a good offer.
If he stays it will be for less 80 to 100k than dogs.
I dont blame our recruitment.
His manager is the one to blame they have been stuffing around since december.
If we don't pick up anyone .
I would sign mann.
And he can start as fullback.
If given a chance he will go well as he is a natural footballer.
Imo

Last edited:

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
I want Dugan to stay but only for the right price. We have other options.
I think they need to say we have an offer on the table sign it by the end of the day or move on.
We need to know where we stand so we can get on with business.
In all reality maybe we don't value Dugan as much as he does. He can't execute a pass under pressure in attack or can't read when he should pass.he is a strong ball runner and defender that's it.
Let the dogs pay over and move on.

mickeylane

Bench
I like Duges but I must say, my opinion has come around. Every player has their price (value) and it is looking like Duges has gone past his (with regard to what he wants). He saves some tries but by the same token lets some in. As you said - a fast winger gets around him. he doesn't make good decisions in attack. A potential try went begging on the left last game because he didn't pass the ball.

No-one has mentioned Duges in the top 5 fullbacks thread bur Slater and Boyd get a mention. He is not in their league but seemingly wants the same money.

Maybe it is time to move on. Nobody is irreplaceable in the long run.
Dugan will end up at Gold Coast...my feelings are that the shipped has sailed from the clubs perspective...not sure the replacement but could be anyone

possm

Coach
Dugan will end up at Gold Coast...my feelings are that the shipped has sailed from the clubs perspective...not sure the replacement but could be anyone
So, If Dugan goes to the Titans, where is Hayne going to? Did Millward meet with Hayne when he was in Sydney this week?

Will Hayne go to the Dogs or Dragons.

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
If he wanted to stay like he says he has had ample opportunity to sign up. I am kind of thinking on the clubs side here. What his value to us is may not be what it s to another club. Good luck to Duges if it's just about money. No drama for him to do what's right for him.
The way the player market is Ben Hunt is a bargain.

possm

Coach
If he wanted to stay like he says he has had ample opportunity to sign up. I am kind of thinking on the clubs side here. What his value to us is may not be what it s to another club. Good luck to Duges if it's just about money. No drama for him to do what's right for him.
Your right! Could be he is using us as leverage against other clubs and if his bid for the 1m deal fails, we are his safety blanket.

I think it's time for Millward to take the offer off the table.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
So, If Dugan goes to the Titans, where is Hayne going to? Did Millward meet with Hayne when he was in Sydney this week?

Will Hayne go to the Dogs or Dragons.

Possm
You could be right
But Hayne plays 6 for titans.
So mybe they want both as duges playes fb.
Imo

FlameThrower

Bench
Well stuff this.. he stays great.. he goes we have a few options. Bottom line is we can't be dragged out while Tim / Kurt can be snapped up? Plus if Packer has same manager then that could be another saga. So after this cooling off period- I'd go to lock in Kurt and Tim first.

possm

Coach
Well stuff this.. he stays great.. he goes we have a few options. Bottom line is we can't be dragged out while Tim / Kurt can be snapped up? Plus if Packer has same manager then that could be another saga. So after this cooling off period- I'd go to lock in Kurt and Tim first.
Why not table an offer to Hayne, then extend Packer, Lafai, Milne and Mann.

denis preston

First Grade
Dont really blame Dugan for going for the money and trying to get a 4 year contract. This will be his last real payday and he won't have great job prospects after retirement , certainly not in the media.

The more i delve into this the more i think that even if we just offered him 600k he may still not suit the dynamics of the team in the future.

The calm one

Juniors
As I said earlier Dugan is not worth the money he and his manager think he is worth,
If he was another club would have claimed him by now. Being greedy can come back and bite you ask Marshall and Rein

Carlton

Juniors
Can play State of Origin and be man of the match at fullback, represent Australia as a centre, come up against the best fullbacks this year and has matched it with each of them or outplayed them.

I can understand the thinking (not), let's get rid of him and bring in a rookie into probably the most demanding position on the field. Or maybe buy one of the aforementioned fullbacks for similar money and effectively downgrade.

If he goes good on him but it will be our loss.