What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan wants to play in the NFL

Joey_dragons

Juniors
JOSH Dugan is seriously considering following Jarryd Hayne to the NFL, revealing he’s been in discussions with his management about opportunities in America.

Since Jarryd Hayne’s defection from rugby league at the end of 2014, a host of players have expressed their interest in following the former Parramatta No.1 overseas.
Playing a similar style and having filled Hayne’s boots at Origin level, Dugan believes he could mirror Hayne’s success.
The St George Illawarra fullback has indicated he would be willing to gamble his NRL career for an opportunity overseas.
“I spoke to my manger and he’s got a contact over there,” Dugan told The Locker Room Podcast.
“I’ve felt the waters out (but) haven’t really pursued it too hard.
“… (Hayne’s) opened up the door (for) players with similar styles.
“For me it wouldn’t be about whether or not I made it, it would be about going over and giving it the best I could and if I didn’t make it, I’m still 25 turning 26.
“I’ve got a few years still under my belt. If I do get the opportunity I’d love to give it a crack.”
Dugan is a client of sports management company SFX who have links with a host of American sporting organisations.
While foxsports.com.au understands any discussion between Dugan and potential NFL suitors are preliminary, the custodian’s interest in catching a pig skin is genuine.

Dugan said he’s been watching the NFL for 10 years and is such a diehard Baltimore Ravens fan that he has a portrait of superstar linebacker Ray Lewis inked on his leg.
Proof of how seriously Dugan’s taking a potential switch, he’s opened up on his fallback plan should his NFL gamble prove unsuccessful.
“I’ve had a good chat with my manager about it,” he said.
“If the opportunity did come up, it’s something I’d definitely like to pursue it.
“Worst case scenario I go over there, give it a crack and don’t make it, if there’s not an opportunity back in the NRL, there’s the Super League or French Rugby. I wouldn’t mind living in France.”
While Dugan doesn’t come off contract until the end of 2017, the 25-year-old stopped short of declaring he’d see out his deal before moving to the US if an NFL opportunity came his way.
“For now the Dragons is my future,” he said.
“The only thing I could see that would take a chip out of that is the NFL if I did get an opportunity.”

www.dailytelegraph.com.au

The Nick

Bench
Sorry Josh but I just don't see it happening. It takes an exceptional athlete to do what Hayne has done in the space of just one off season.

Josh is a great footy player but he just doesn't have the size, speed, explosive power, strength, vision or unique x factor that Hayne has.

He could get the entire Baltimore Ravens lineup tattooed on his forehead, I don't think it's going to help.

Packy

Bench
What position does Dugan think he could suit? He isn't a running back, nor a returner. No one has dreams of playing D and too much or the nuance would be missing. I agree that Josh is a fantastic player but it seems a no brainer that he wouldn't cut it. Players like RTS or Jennings are more chance imho.

Mr Red

First Grade
What position does Dugan think he could suit? He isn't a running back, nor a returner. No one has dreams of playing D and too much or the nuance would be missing. I agree that Josh is a fantastic player but it seems a no brainer that he wouldn't cut it. Players like RTS or Jennings are more chance imho.

agree 100%
Dugan although a decent fullback does not possess any of the core requirements needed in the NFL.

perhaps he sees himself as a wide receiver, but IMO doesnt possess the physical traits needed there either...

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Duges you are $700k a year with Dragons,why risk it with a jump into the unknown.Your injury record is not good and I see this as an impediment to any franchise wishing to look at you.Just concentrate on what you do well,for now.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Duges you are $700k a year with Dragons,why risk it with a jump into the unknown.Your injury record is not good and I see this as an impediment to any franchise wishing to look at you.Just concentrate on what you do well,for now.

Don't worry mate it will never happen.......put it this way it wont affect his time with us

The Nick

Bench
I'd very surprised if he even got an invite to train with a club. No doubt his management group will put the feelers out but once scouts look at his Youtube clips I doubt there will be much there to convince them he could make the transition.

The fact that he thinks he is even close to Hayne as an athlete is baffling.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
He is nowhere near the athlete that Hayne is. But perhaps he is thinking his only very slight chance is if he play punter? He has decent length in his drop outs.

St Georgio

Juniors
All News Hype, must be worried the great Red V is going places and a real contender for premiership 18, so lets feed Josh our crap.
IMHO Hayne is really struggling to make an inpact.

GC Dragon

Juniors
A bit of monkey see monkey do i think . Duges is a great rugby league player ...Probably our best . But not going to make it in the NFL . If he wants a challenge in the off season ...learn to pass a bit better and set up our outside backs to make us more potent in attack .

Puff2010

Juniors
Personally I would not read too much in to it. Dudes and others may dream about the challenge, but when push comes to shove and a hard decision needs to be made (aka walk away from job security) then reality sets in. Hayne has had the dream for a very long time and had a good understanding of the game - and good luck to him for following his dreams.
Duges was probably expressing a view rather than "a strong desire".
He would prefer an NRL premiership anyday

bottle

Coach
All News Hype, must be worried the great Red V is going places and a real contender for premiership 18, so lets feed Josh our crap.
IMHO Hayne is really struggling to make an inpact.

Did I miss one?
When did that happen?
Damn.

Duges is a courageous competitor.

No longer elusive or very fast.

Has no chance of getting an NFL gig.

As a kicker of any description he is hopelessly inaccurate and should never be given a go as a kicker.

TruSaint

Referee
Don't worry mate it will never happen.......put it this way it wont affect his time with us

This...
Brilliant work by his manager... Talk up his options.. Increase his profile. Lovely.
The game now is all about marketing. Boxing / AFL / NFL / Rugby Yawn / you name it.
Raise the value of your client = raise your commission.
Duges wont be going to the US, unless its to Vegas for a holiday .

FlameThrower

Bench
I get the feeling the Hayne experiment may be short lived, I can't see him staying long term being dropped just making up numbers. Dugan as much as we all love him, really should focus on his game and the areas he can improve in. Also trying to win a premiership is a more realistic goal, than playing NFL! Next you'll have Jamal Idris looking at NFL! That Toupow guy already mentioned it,but like a goldfish already forgotten!