What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan/Widdop/Marshall/Farrah Spine??

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Hmmmm are we talking about the same game? Benji was dominating until he was injured. Widdop was Widdop. Played well, was solid but never looked like breaking the game apart in favor of the Dragons.

Well Benji was Benji, jinking, stepping, looking flashy, but for what? We scored no points in the first half.

Benji is probably looking for a 2-3 year contract. You're telling me at 30, you would sign Benji for another 2-3 years? Don't think so, we need to look at long term options.

V

Vasilevsky

Well Benji was Benji, jinking, stepping, looking flashy, but for what? We scored no points in the first half.

Benji is probably looking for a 2-3 year contract. You're telling me at 30, you would sign Benji for another 2-3 years? Don't think so, we need to look at long term options.

For constant pressure and worries for the enemy. With Benji off despite the forwards dominating we only got one try and that was due to a herculean effort from Nabuli.

V

Vasilevsky

I don't blame Widdop for THAT kick. He saw it, thought he could get it and missed. It was the wrong option. The fat Grubs were exhausted and small, younger Dragons running all over them. Regardless, if Benji had been responsible for that he would be getting crucified by now. I just don't understand it. Benji had a good year and Widdop an average year. His dismal, extremely dismal failure in the games when Benji was out ensures he only just gets a "C" (on a scale of aーe).

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Not bagging Bunji, but in the long term, I think there is only room for either Bunji or Widdop, not both. IMO, given he is younger, there is more upside to widdop.

Of course a person like yourself vaseline would want a toxic shit stain like Farrah at the club.

Why do you think the Tigers want him gone, do you not pay attention or do you live under a rock he cost Sheens his job then Potter and now finally the club has seen the light and said off you go you whinging prick.

Only a what did you call me a moron would want a guy at your club who would divide the dressing room causing friction between players thats genius why didn't i think of that.

Questioning my support whatever floats your boat vaseline but please using homie your in the objevtive view/dino/grouch crew an annoying troll and i think its time for you to go back to ignore.

V

Vasilevsky

Of course a person like yourself vaseline would want a toxic shit stain like Farrah at the club.

Why do you think the Tigers want him gone, do you not pay attention or do you live under a rock he cost Sheens his job then Potter and now finally the club has seen the light and said off you go you whinging prick.

Only a what did you call me a moron would want a guy at your club who would divide the dressing room causing friction between players thats genius why didn't i think of that.

Questioning my support whatever floats your boat vaseline but please using homie your in the objevtive view/dino/grouch crew an annoying troll and i think its time for you to go back to ignore.

And you decide by yourself that he did all this and would do this? You are one messed up, embittered, angry, homie.

V

Vasilevsky

Not bagging Bunji, but in the long term, I think there is only room for either Bunji or Widdop, not both. IMO, given he is younger, there is more upside to widdop.

I respect your opinion but given there is only about 3 years difference, I don't think Widdop will ever be as good as athlete as Benji unless Benji dies before Widdop. Therefore, I would prefer Benji stayed. Even better iif both stayed but as I have said repeatedly, Widdop has to stop trying to be the main playmaker on either side of the ruck and revert to his style of play at Melbourne. I think he and the team would both be better for it.

I watched the Warriors earlier in the year and was amazed by how good Townsend was. As soon as Johnson went down, he was utterly useless. I bet the same would be with Morgan at the Cowboys without Thurston. Certainly the same for Green at Melbourne. Parra didn't want him he was so bad but as soon as he teams up with a dominant playmaker, he is one of the form 5/8s of the competition.

Lex

Juniors
I don't blame Widdop for THAT kick. He saw it, thought he could get it and missed. It was the wrong option. The fat Grubs were exhausted and small, younger Dragons running all over them. Regardless, if Benji had been responsible for that he would be getting crucified by now. I just don't understand it. Benji had a good year and Widdop an average year. His dismal, extremely dismal failure in the games when Benji was out ensures he only just gets a "C" (on a scale of aーe).

x2

Also, how old is Jonathon Thurston?

Benji is good for 2 more years

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I agree benji is probably good for another few years but not at the expense of a good junior coming through. We don't want another jack bird leaving us. And anybody who is still saying that jack bird was no big loss is kidding themselves, he is at the very least a rep player in the making.

RED73V

Juniors
The reason why Benji would be getting crucified for it is because Benji makes more mistakes on a consistent basis. Always going for the miracle play & rarely coming off . His decision making is fair at best. When Benji went off I was glad cause Widdop always plays better when he's not there. I've said it before Widdop gives Benji to much respect & he is the better player hands down & I really hope we DO NOT extend Benjis contract after this one expires. I'd rather give Hutchison a go & be patient instead of pulling my hair out every week watching a once good player trying to play like he is still 18 instead of steering us around the way someone of his vintage should. ](*,)[-X

BennyV

Referee
The reason why Benji would be getting crucified for it is because Benji makes more mistakes on a consistent basis. Always going for the miracle play & rarely coming off . His decision making is fair at best. When Benji went off I was glad cause Widdop always plays better when he's not there. I've said it before Widdop gives Benji to much respect & he is the better player hands down & I really hope we DO NOT extend Benjis contract after this one expires. I'd rather give Hutchison a go & be patient instead of pulling my hair out every week watching a once good player trying to play like he is still 18 instead of steering us around the way someone of his vintage should. ](*,)[-X

I dont think Benji is the BETTER player as such. His footy instincts are second to none, so much so that often times his ability and his body cant keep up, hence why so many of those miracle plays dont come off, and why it's so spectacular when they do.

I think that Widdop is definitely a smarter player. I also think that if we had an attacking coach who could provide the team with structure and plays to make use of Gareth's decision making and game management, then he would easily enter the elite level of halves in the comp.

The Nick

Bench

Benji's age isn't the issue. The issue is whether we have any ready replacements coming up to take his spot. There is a serious lack of genuine halves available these days and I don't see ANYONE coming through our juniors to put pressure on Benji.

If he's holding someone back then move him on. If he's our best option then re-sign him.

I seriously don't understand this 30yo retirement date posters on this forum automatically stamp on players.

They have an option or should I say had an option since they told Crook he can move on.

Whoever made this decision has made a poor one. He has worked his arse off to come back from some serious injuries to be told sorry your no longer wanted.

Maybe they think Clune is an option since they elevated him to the NSW Cup throughout the year. At times he looked settled and composed and other times he looked completely out of his depth.

Outside of that you have Rhys Davies, Jack Payne and Paora Kemp with Payne the most likely of the three.

BennyV

Referee
They have an option or should I say had an option since they told Crook he can move on.

Whoever made this decision has made a poor one. He has worked his arse off to come back from some serious injuries to be told sorry your no longer wanted.

Maybe they think Clune is an option since they elevated him to the NSW Cup throughout the year. At times he looked settled and composed and other times he looked completely out of his depth.

Outside of that you have Rhys Davies, Jack Payne and Paora Kemp with Payne the most likely of the three.

Which is the blonde kid playing 5/8 in NYC? He looked pretty decent.

Mind you, all of them (including Clune) are planks compared to Crook when he was coming through.

V

Vasilevsky

When Benji went off I was glad cause Widdop always plays better when he's not there.

Really? I specifically remember the second game vs the Shonkies when Widdop was one of only 2 or 3 regular first graders available. I didn't expect the team to win but I expected Widdop to be hands down one of the Dragons best. Instead he was certainly one of the worst if not the worst. There were a few other games as well which I was thinking the same thing but can't recall them off the top of my head.

Again, I think Widdop is a good player but he isn't a good playmaker. Certainly can't even be compared with Benji as a playmaker or ball runner. He makes fewer mistakes and is a solid player but I would bet you players like Sean Johnson, Cooper Cronk and Thurston also make more mistakes than Widdop. I think it's a good combination if Widdop is the steady player and Benji is the one going for the big plays but it will mean Benji makes more mistakes.

As far as the game last week, did you want the Dragons to win? In the game I saw the younger, smaller Dragons pack was beginning to dominate the fat Grubs and Benji was cutting loose. The commentators were talking the Dragons chances up given the flow of the game and then immediately wrote them off when Benji went off. I was thinking the same thing.

V

Vasilevsky

Both Benji and Farah are good for at least 2, maybe 3 years. Farah maybe 4 if the reports about his dedication to fitness and training are true. Benji, Farah and Duges are 3 players a really good, young team can be build around. I hope that team would include Widdop. All these impressive forwards from this year, in theory, will be in their prime for the next 2 to 3 years and the reduced interchange will help them even more. I expect Aitken to continue to improve. An 80min hooker like Farah and a half like Benji who is equally comfortable passing or running (and unlike Widdop actually causing the defense some problems when running) would have field day IMO.

Anyway, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. They need to sign Farah.

Payne has blonde hair but he is a 7 not a 6.

Played first grade with the Corrimal Cougars till he got promoted to the NYC.

I forgot about Blake Wallace they might as well give him a contract he'd come cheap and can play 1,6 and 7.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Saints do this deal for Robbie they need to hold onto Garvey. He would be the best of all the backup hookers they have at the club.

V

Vasilevsky

If Saints do this deal for Robbie they need to hold onto Garvey. He would be the best of all the backup hookers they have at the club.

I agree but it depends on how much money a backup hooker demands. If the deal is done with Farah, this Kiwi guy Havili would be perfect for the bench. Big enough to come on as a forward if/when Farah doesn't need a rest.

And don't forget Nightingale used to come on and do a reasonable job at hooker 5 or so years ago. I'm not convinced he still has a future on the wing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Saints do this deal it will be the most stupid thing they will have done in some time.

Sure the Tigers are a basket case but he sure as hell hasn't helped the situation now his manager wants to spill the beans typical Sam Ayoub total wanker.