What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dykes/Witt?? what are ure thoughts?

HAVEFAITHBOYS

Juniors
First of all great win fellas... this looks like the spark we needed...

2nd... id like to hear thoughts on todays halving combo.. there was talk that dykes should have been at 6 etc...

i was impressed with the way dykes handled himself today.. and the kick at the end was very impressive...

i think give him some more time b4 people start saying we should let him go.. at the start he was playing well and today he really stepped up a gear..

i know its only one game.. but with the possibility of orford coming to the club.. iam excited at the possibility at dykes at 6 and orford at 7... that would be a crazy combo..

witt did not impress today.. played well but not up to the hype of how good he is... i mean .. 2 kicks in 80 mins doesnt seem right... with 2 errors as well

dykes had 14 kicks with no errors and went forward today...with a few try assists...

not perfect but exciting to see what will develop.. if witt plays better.. might not need orford... spend 400k on better centres etc

ps great defensive work from morris hindy with wagon gettin 49 in there.. well done..

cheers

AlexTheEel

Juniors
Second time Dykes has set up a win for us against newcastle. In Rnd 3 he put the across field kick in to set up Prince and Langi late in the match, this time he puts in a perfect grubber for Burt.

Dykes played ok today. Not a vintage performance but I thought his kicking game was prety good. Witt was a little dissapointing but hopefully his confidence will lift.

I was disspointed that we were caught with the ball on the 5th tackle quite a few times.

strider

Post Whore
Dykes's kicking was very good - he put in several good long kicks in the first half to get us out of our own end of the field.....his general play needs to lift still - he seems lazy at times, but his kicking was very good

Suitman

Post Whore
Some of you people are so conveniently blind.

Dykes didn't play any differently tonight than any other game this season. But, because we came out on the right side of the scoreline, he's now a legend.

Fair dinkum. #-o

Suity

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think Witt and Dykes is our best combination, Dykes played well because it took the pressure off him with Witt there. Dykes can do some good things when close to the defence line, and he crabs across field to look for some runners, this is where guys like Graham, McKinnon and Burt have to follow him when he's got the ball. Once Dykes finds a hole he can put those guys in a hole.

I thought Witt was a little off his game, but will get back to his best but I suppose he is more suited to the halfback role.

Great win for the boys, I hope they keep it up. :D

Unreal V

Juniors
Yeah, I would rather see Dykes in the number 6, he can when he wants take the line on and has a terrific passing game. More importantly if Witt is our future play maker then we should start using him now; with Dykes as second receiver it just gives Witt another option.

I think Dykes is a good organiser, can handle the pressure, we have beaten the Knights twice this year and in pressure situations Dykes came through; can't ask for more than that. He is a good Number 7 but he is a better 5/8 that can and will do the work.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
True he didn't play alot different but then again I have been a supporter of his this year. No one said he was a legend just that he played ok and had a good kicking game.

strider

Post Whore
Sorry - I must have turned away from the TV when Dykes ran fullsteam over the sideline like he did 2 weeks ago.....or when he put up several bombs over the dead ball line...or when he turned his back on the play and left a 15m gap on the try line.

Dykes played well the first few weeks of the season (well not week 1) - but when we started to slide he slid as far as anyone.....he had a deadset shocker against St George.

He had some lazy moments tonight too, but I think his kicking kept us in the game in the first half and he made some good tackles on our own line in the second half...he deserves a pat on the back for hanging in there under pressure tonight and coming back from a shocker 2 weeks ago.

Suitman

Post Whore
Strider,

He also deserved a pat on the back for busting his gut for many weeks when the rest were just going through the motions.

The fact that we lost those weeks had people looking for scapegoats, and subsequently, as Dykes is the person who does the most with the ball, he is also the one who will probably make most of the mistakes.
Therefore, he becomes the scapegoat.

The reverse happens when we win.

It is so transparant.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
No, its all been said before, and I still think he should go.
I'm not stupid enough to think that one win later we should keep him.

Suity

Eelectrica

Referee
We need to settle on a halves combination. It's still very much a work in progress but the more they stay together the better it will get.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Your problem is quite simple at parra.
your are missing key cattle.
A big bopper, an impact and a centre with skills.
because you dont have a reliable bopper, your halves lose confidence, play badly get dropped & never get their combos going.
How you can go wrong with Dykes Witt & Morris is beyond me, they ae all quality.
The answer is, no bopper.
I think Morris may go better starting a little later & becoming an impact.
Catch 22 for guys. You can't win games, so players get dropped & combinations aren't allowed to develop.
The absolute worst thing that you mob could do is sack your coach.
If you want a comparison look at the Sharks coach from last year & measure the difference in class.
yours is a class act. He has respect of all of the players, staff & club. he has offered to walk, for the betterment of the club. Has lies upon lies placed upon him by scumbag hadley in conjuction with lyon, the biggest coward in the game since walker, yet he rises above it.

Class act Mr Smith :clap: :clap:

You gotta a heap of losses to go through still this year, but at least it seems the Eels are competitive, with a bopperless, centreless side.

Suitman

Post Whore
blacktip-reefy said:
Your problem is quite simple at parra.
your are missing key cattle.
A big bopper, an impact and a centre with skills.
because you dont have a reliable bopper, your halves lose confidence, play badly get dropped & never get their combos going.
How you can go wrong with Dykes Witt & Morris is beyond me, they ae all quality.
The answer is, no bopper.
I think Morris may go better starting a little later & becoming an impact.
Catch 22 for guys. You can't win games, so players get dropped & combinations aren't allowed to develop.
The absolute worst thing that you mob could do is sack your coach.
If you want a comparison look at the Sharks coach from last year & measure the difference in class.
yours is a class act. He has respect of all of the players, staff & club. he has offered to walk, for the betterment of the club. Has lies upon lies placed upon him by scumbag hadley in conjuction with lyon, the biggest coward in the game since walker, yet he rises above it.

Class act Mr Smith :clap: :clap:

You gotta a heap of losses to go through still this year, but at least it seems the Eels are competitive, with a bopperless, centreless side.

You have read our situation SOOOOOO wrong it is not funny.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
Class act Mr Smith??????

You can have him if you want.

He may very well win you a comp.........but his "Use By Date" is past here.

Suity

Parraren

Bench
To be completely blunt, I thought they were very ordinary. Dykes was still running sideways and getting smashed and we are still lacking direction and organisation. Dykes still looks like a 5/8th trying to be a halfback. Witt looked lost and wasn't involved enough. We were worse than Under 6's on our last tackle options, often getting caught with the ball. That is unacceptable and is happening far too often in all of our games. It was good to get the win but our halves were as bad as they have been in the last 5 weeks.

Latest posts