What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dylan Brown Charged with Sexual Offence

Pneuma

First Grade
And done well to slip in a photo of Jack in the article too, who although was stood down under the same rule was under a much worse charge. By putting it in there people will paint Dylan with the same brush which is wrong IMO.
Didn’t notice tbh. She writes well.

Frank Burge

Juniors
I don’t care. This is about now not some convoluted potential outcome.
If you don’t have any thoughts don’t reply. This thread is about Brown being stood down using nfsd so I believe the hypothetical question is relevant, not everyone is a rep star on 4 year contracts, some are year to year and a 2 year ban while court continues to get adjourned and ruins a career and then gets acquitted could have massive financial liability to the NRL

No1_Eel

Juniors
You are actually a legend Pneuma. I read these thread and credit for you for actually speaking some sense. I think we had a back and forth on here once but you actually like a decent guy from reading this.

As you said some of these “arguments” show definite signs of misogyny. Credit to you to actually keep going, it’s not easy arguing with stupid. They probably never will get it and it’s a shame this culture exists in rugby league. I’ve blocked many of my fellow Eels “fans” and haven’t read any of the Eels forum since. They probably replied to my last post or even will reply to this but I mean if a tree falls in the woods…

Pneuma

First Grade
If you don’t have any thoughts don’t reply. This thread is about Brown being stood down using nfsd so I believe the hypothetical question is relevant, not everyone is a rep star on 4 year contracts, some are year to year and a 2 year ban while court continues to get adjourned and ruins a career and then gets acquitted could have massive financial liability to the NRL
I’ll do what I like thanks

wazdog

Juniors
So Burgess, with Russell Crowe and Cannon Brookes behind him, is free to play with the words , until a judgement is handed down I don’t want to pre judge him says Abdo, when Burgess was charged with sexual touching.

Hardley goes on his usual anti Parra rant, and suddenly Abdo becomes all sanctimonious and prejudges Brown, then again the NRL world seems frightened of people with a platform like Hardley , Gus and Uncle Nick.
George Burgess left Souths in 2019 and has played at two clubs since. The charge against him happened whilst playing for the Dragons.

Pneuma

First Grade
You are actually a legend Pneuma. I read these thread and credit for you for actually speaking some sense. I think we had a back and forth on here once but you actually like a decent guy from reading this.

As you said some of these “arguments” show definite signs of misogyny. Credit to you to actually keep going, it’s not easy arguing with stupid. They probably never will get it and it’s a shame this culture exists in rugby league. I’ve blocked many of my fellow Eels “fans” and haven’t read any of the Eels forum since. They probably replied to my last post or even will reply to this but I mean if a tree falls in the woods…
Thanks mate. I’m a stubborn bastard. Feel strongly about this one. Apologies if I’ve had a shot at you.

Maximus

Coach

Why would the NRL have any liability? A Federal Court judge stated that they can stand down players to protect their interests. Whether that player is a superstar or a nuffie who doesn't get another contract is irrelevant.

Frank Burge

Juniors
Why would the NRL have any liability? A Federal Court judge stated that they can stand down players to protect their interests. Whether that player is a superstar or a nuffie who doesn't get another contract is irrelevant.
Jack continued to be paid and was extended by the dragons, do you think if he wasn’t paid that whole time he was stood down that the NRL wouldn’t be responsible for loss of earnings considering he was found not guilty?

Last Week

Bench
This thread has spiralled into a ridiculous state. Some of you are so short sighted you don't even see the point your opponent is making.

Any way.

There's a few facts that people here need to accept.

1. Players are young men. They are going to want to do things that young men do. It's called living.

2. Some young men get into trouble.

3. NRL players will be targeted by the public and media 100 times more than the average person.

4. The NRLs image takes a hit when one of their players get into trouble. Stakeholders, sponsors and fans have an influence into the NRLs decision making. These incidents affect the image and therefore the value the game can generate. Which in turn affects every single player, coach, etc etc.

5. The NFSD Policy exists to protect the games interests as a whole.

In an ideal world, people would accept that players are innocent until proven guilty and shouldn't be pre-judged. Or, in an ideal world, people would accept that the game has a right to protect its image in this fashion.

Not everyone is going to agree and no amount of arguing here or anywhere else is going to change that. Move on.

some11

Referee
Parra fans see through Hadley's garbage.

Who rings up there own radio station 3 times in the past 12 months on the drive show to blast Parramatta specifically over trivial shit.

Why not wait to today on his show for a rant the bloke is obsessed with damaging the club's brand.

Hadley was deathriding the club last year in the finals then he had a week off after we flogged Canberra in week 2.

He had to crawl back into his seat in GF week and he shut us trap for 7 days after we made the GF.
Your fault listening to boomers on AM radio.

That shit wont exist in 20 years.

Bazal

Post Whore

Hypothetically I'm not sure the player would have a leg to stand on tbh

Employers in Australia have the right to stand down employees for a lot of reasons, including for their conduct (or misconduct) and for the duration of any internal or external investigation into that conduct. They must pay them for the period of the stand down except in certain circumstances, none of which would apply to the NRL. So the stand down is lawful, even if it's apparently arbitrary in its' application.

NRL players are on fixed term contracts with their club, so there is no expectation of ongoing employment beyond the end of a contract. Effluxion of time isn't a termination, so there's no leg to stand on there.

As a prospective employee, I doubt the player could argue any breach of the general protections or discrimination acts in terms of clubs not hiring them with a court case hanging over their heads, because being the subject of criminal proceedings is not a protected attribute.

You could maybe argue that either the stand down was illegitimate or incorrectly handed down, using other similar cases, if the NRL had arbitrarily applied it to one player but not another in similar circumstances, but in terms of damages you would then need to prove that another contract would have been forthcoming at all. That's going to be hard for a fringe first grader with only 1 and 2 year deals in their back catalogue.

You could also theoretically do the same as the NRL would and argue reputational damage I suppose, and although that's not at all my area I imagine it would be difficult to make a case for it when the player has had criminal proceedings on foot. Even if the allegations are found to be totally false and made up, it's not the NRL who has damaged the player's reputation, it's the person making false allegations.

Maximus

Coach
Jack continued to be paid and was extended by the dragons, do you think if he wasn’t paid that whole time he was stood down that the NRL wouldn’t be responsible for loss of earnings considering he was found not guilty?

But the No Fault Stand Down policy requires them to be paid, and the nuffie you complain about would be paid. So I'm not exactly sure what point you think you are making.

Frank Burge

Juniors
But the No Fault Stand Down policy requires them to be paid, and the nuffie you complain about would be paid. So I'm not exactly sure what point you think you are making.
Do they continue to be paid if the contract expires and are still stood down awaiting court date?
And nuffie or not, everyone has bills to pay and keep a roof over their families head, who is going to hire them when the media has dragged them through the mud calling them rapists and hiding behind the words alleged and charged.

Maximus

Coach
Do they continue to be paid if the contract expires and are still stood down awaiting court date?
And nuffie or not, everyone has bills to pay and keep a roof over their families head, who is going to hire them when the media has dragged them through the mud calling them rapists and hiding behind the words alleged and charged.

De Belin played all 3 games of origin in 2018 in a winning series. Should the NRL have been required to pay him SOO match payments while stood down?

Also, do you believe everyone accused of a crime should be entitled to a job, or does it just apply to NRL players?

Ruby Roundhouse

First Grade
Sheesh I do. Sheesh. And sheesh they are none of your business. They have strong views about sexual assault and low regard for the peanuts who put themselves in Browns position.

And you can await the court outcome. And Dylan can sit on the side lines. And you can whinge and moan until then.

There is no excuse for their behaviour. Sick to death of it.