What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EA Sports Rugby 2005

Broncodroid

Juniors
Members

For those able to appreciate the "other" code, EA Sports has done a damn fine job with the latest installment of the Rugby game which was released today.

The gameplay is awesome, the graphics are great (you can identify players via their madden like realism faces) and there is an abundance of tournaments to participate in (Super 12, 6 Nations, World Cup, 10 Nations and more).

All your favourite players are there, Lenny Beckett is in the Warratahs squad for those interested and highly recommend purchasing the title.

Post your thoughts on the game here 8)

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I bought it on xbox, here are my thoughts.

* feels like rugby

* Players can get injured and miss a few weeks.

*Career mode

-----

Negatives -

* Players catch the ball from 5yards away...

* Runing on an angle will usually create a half break or a full break.

* Kicking feels like there is no distance due to everything feeling small.

* Players can change runing direction at full speed..makes me look like there skating.

* only a few tackles in game..looks good for awhile then gets boring.

* no real gang tackles.

* magic 5yard dives to make tackles is back.
---

Overall its better then Rugby 2004, but if NRL is anything like this ill be dissapointed..this game is fun but lacks depth..especially since after a while every game feels the same.

Something that Madden and ESPN have is that each game is different based on the fact that teams react alot different..in this game its the same gameplay with everyteam.

Phillips

Referee
shit, i didnt think the game was out untill another few weeks #-o

i'll probably go and get it tomorrow now

Dragon

Coach
Got it on PC, and it is the best rugby game to date (of either code). The tackling animations are so real, the set plays are amazing, but the kicking game sux.

I reckon Sidhe will do better with RL2, but its gonna be a close contest. Great for us Rugby gamers :clap:

Matt M

Juniors
Is there a PC demo yet? Because I really want to play this one before I buy I spend $100 on a game, the last rugby game was crap.

Corbin

Juniors
im off in 10mins to EB to get my pre order!!!!!!

im a HUGE rugby fan as i play for NEWPORT the largest jounir rugby club in the Southern hemisphere

Goleel

Juniors
I've played a few games and was getting bored towards the end, not very difficult, the classic view not allowing you to always see the game from behind your team is annoying, I hate running towards the screen rather than away from it, the passing is too lofty a lot of the time, passing to forwards out of the rucks is useless, and it just didn't grab me too much at first. I'll be giving it a lot more time over the next week, but so far I'm unimpressed, although the Rugby series of games have now progressed from buggy worthless pieces of crap to simply uninspired games that are perfectly playable but not very exciting or interesting.

bonestorm

Juniors
You're right Gol. I got bored very quickly with it.

First things first, before we get into gameplay, there's the menu system. Now you'd think, since they borrowed the 'look and feel' directly from Madden that they'd get the basics right, but they don't. Where's the File menu so you can quickly and easily save you franchise? Not there. Instead, every time you make changes you have to go back out to the top level menu, then into another menu specifically designed for loading and saving. Each time you try to exit from franchise mode you should be prompted to save, given a Yes/No choice and have the save done there and then. All in all, very cumbersome.

Gameplay - you can't change keymappings, which is ridiculous. Kicking is terrible. The mechanics are sound - passing, running, some nice tackle animations. Player faces are quite good. But it really doesn't have (for me) the wow factor that you want in a game. I'm probably comparing too much to Madden, and I know it can't compete with a title like that, but really I'd expect something more from a game that's in it's third or fourth iteration.

Not helping is the fact that I just don't like Union as much as League as a game. Hardcore Union fans will undoubtedly get more out of it than I did.

booeycollector

Juniors
Only just got it this morning. Seems OK but I would rather control my players with the directional pad rather that the analogue paddle as I'm use to it. (can this be changed) Give me more time and I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

Phillips

Referee
bought the game today

and its great!!!

my first game i was the Allblacks vs South Africa and at half time i was losing 24-0 at the end of the match i won 43-27 in true rugby style :lol:

its great how you pick the players for the tri series....i hope they do the same in the new league game for state of origin, test matches etc etc

BUT....Jonah Lomu Rugby IS still the greatest union game of all time :clap:

I got mine yesterday, and I'm loving it!!!! The fact that I can ballplay with Larkham is worth it alone - Short passes to Giteau running off my hip into a gap, cut-out passes to Mortlock getting outside his man, its great that if I see a gap I can put a man into the hole with a pass. Hopefully RL2 will focus more on the ballplaying positions as well, In the orginal RL I got sick of seeing my half-back and 5/8th out on the wings twiddling their thumbs.

Plus I dont agree wit canberra_raiders2k2 Grinspoon and Powderfinger made the music in Rugby 2005 great by themselves

Go the Cowboys tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dragon

Coach
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
I cant stand the crap music in rugby...

um...the menu music is the most redeeming factor of the game!!!

The cops ffs!!!!!

EA has made a great game, with even greater menu music :) (powderfinger, grinspoon, 28 days etc)

Matt M

Juniors
IanRitchie said:
By Rugby 2010 they should have a game with more than two weeks playability.

Nah, rugby 2001 had that, then 2004 didn't, 2005 does (apparently), so as you see it is going in a cycle. If they make games every year then Rugby 2010 will be crap.