What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eden Park

ozbash

Referee
I presume the double header was a dummy run for next years RU World Cup.

We went by train from New Lyn and the trip there was ok. Trip back was a shambles, 4 empty trains went west before one stopped, there were 100's of people blocked from even getting on the boarding platform untill our train had left.

Tension was pretty high.

Sis in law came up from Tauranga, they had chartered a bus, but the bus wasnt allowed to let them off anywhere near EP and they had to walk 4km from the bus to the park and back.

TVNZ were there interviewing and recording the chaos, they will have to get their sh*t together before the WC kicks off..

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i came from the botany area. hit dominion road a few minutes after 5pm, got a park on a street just off dominion road.

didn't know they'd torn down the old tall light towers, so i walked right past the stadium a street over and ended up on sandringham road having to walk all the way back to the other end for my gate. that did mean i got to check out the lovely melissa davies from tv3. mmm.

afterwards let the crowd leave for a bit, 20 minute (tops) walk to the car and home no more than 30 minutes after that.

don't know if arriving would have been as smooth if we weren't that early, but hey, it's not going to be my problem again.

LeagueNut

First Grade
We caught a bus from the Albany park-and-ride bus station all the way to the game, and back again. There were plenty of them lining up to whisk us away afterwards. Had absolutely no problems and would recommend the buses 100%.

Blake

Juniors
1. Positive - was a piece of cake getting into the stadium and getting to our seats so that was great.

2. Positive - the stadium looks great!

1. Negative - scum bags fighting in the stands. What's wrong with these idiots? 4 separate fights broke out and one moron ran onto the field. Doubt the Eden Park board will want many more league games there in future.

2. Negative - the crowds waiting for the train - aggresive doosh bags - no doubt not helped by having to wait for the trains.

Me and my mates walked back to Parnell - was quicker in the end and sh*t loads more fun that rubbing shoulders with drunk wankers.

IanG

Coach
Also was it just me or does it look like Eden Park is no longer big enough to be a cricket field as well.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Also was it just me or does it look like Eden Park is no longer big enough to be a cricket field as well.
dimensions are probably about the same. the stand that the tv cameras pointed at has a large removable section at the front to increase the size.

i also believe the plan is the eventually rotate the pitch to go east/west (right to left as the league was broadcast) rather than the weird angle it's been at forever.

Scottey

Juniors
dimensions are probably about the same. the stand that the tv cameras pointed at has a large removable section at the front to increase the size.

i also believe the plan is the eventually rotate the pitch to go east/west (right to left as the league was broadcast) rather than the weird angle it's been at forever.

Heard that the seats near the sand in the lower ASB stand are removable, giving enough room for the cricket.

Rich102

Staff member
The poor behaviour has been given a lot of attention in the media. It is not something that was a problem at Mt Smart.
Was it just that the bigger crowd attracted a larger number of idiots or something else?

JAG

Juniors
The poor behaviour has been given a lot of attention in the media. It is not something that was a problem at Mt Smart.
Was it just that the bigger crowd attracted a larger number of idiots or something else?

There's been some 'fun and games' at Saturday night games at Mt Smart, pissed up idiots getting into fights etc (and don't get me started on Mexican Waves!!).

It was obvious that there was the potential for trouble on Saturday. The double header meant that those poor unfortunates, who can't go to a game without getting pissed, were able to drink for twice as long at the ground. Add the fact that the crowd was nearly double what Mt Smart could hold means there were probably twice as many dickheads there. Not really a surprise to me.

ozbash

Referee
never seen so many drunk people at a game of footy in my life.

how did they get in ?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I enjoy getting on the drink as much as most people I spose but I fail to see why alcohol is sold at sporting fixtures. Shouldn't be allowed.

Martli

Coach
I enjoy getting on the drink as much as most people I spose but I fail to see why alcohol is sold at sporting fixtures. Shouldn't be allowed.

Cricket aside, I have to agree there. It's a money making thing more than anything though so it will never happen. That and it will probably just encourage more pre-drinking and perhaps bring in less people through the gates. Sad really, but it's the reality of the situation.

Skinner

Coach
never seen so many drunk people at a game of footy in my life.

how did they get in ?

Buggered if I know how they can afford to drink when they get in. Out of my price range I'm afraid. Low alcohol piss may be the answer.

Micistm

Bench
Alcohol is a real pet peeve of mine. Have to agree with what Telfer said on Radio Sport this morning: Any person who cannot sit through a game or concert without a drink-just can't do it- Has a problem. I totally agree.
A drink or two is nice, but I do not understand how so many people are just a slave to the damn stuff.
Went to the Roger Waters concert here in Chch a few years back. It was fantastic. So I was surpirsed to see the show got bad online reviews. Logged onto the Roger Waters site to see the reviews were simply in regard to kiwis who were constantly up and down all through the concert, getting a drink. That baffles me. Why not enjoy the show?
This is actually a good 'crowded house' topic- with all the anti smoking stuff going on at the moment, yet drink is left alone. Why? I have yet to hear of violence flaring up or someone getting bashed due to someone who 'couldn't handle their smokes!' ;-)

Skinner

Coach

Jesbass

First Grade
Ha - best comment: "This is what you get when a bunch of rugby fans turn up to a League match."

Rich102

Staff member
Can't believe this piece of rubbish from an obvious rah rah apologist :

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/4324831/Unruly-Eden-Park-mob-a-league-problem

Sadly I can. And I am sure he/she is only voicing the thoughts of thousands of others.
I was surprised, and saddened by the events.
League in NZ is a family event. This has done the sport a huge disservice.

Having said all that how stupid to allow glass and cans in a venue where they know alcohol is going to be a factor. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

I also know that young people are having an increasing problem with alcohol. In my younger days I was no saint but it still surprises me to see the speed with which young people now consume alcohol. Not for any pleasure but simply to get out-of-it.

Sad times.

Iafeta

Referee
At the start I was absolutely wrapped that we had attracted 45,000 or so to a Kiwis test match. What a great tonic that was for our sport.

Then, midway through the second half, seeing the ingoal and surrounding area littered with beer bottles... yuck. Poor.

Security control had to be tighter. Common sense by those throwing projectiles would also be good too. Certainly using plastic cups would be a better idea.

Skinner

Coach
Sadly I can. And I am sure he/she is only voicing the thoughts of thousands of others.
I was surprised, and saddened by the events.
League in NZ is a family event. This has done the sport a huge disservice.

Having said all that how stupid to allow glass and cans in a venue where they know alcohol is going to be a factor. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

I also know that young people are having an increasing problem with alcohol. In my younger days I was no saint but it still surprises me to see the speed with which young people now consume alcohol. Not for any pleasure but simply to get out-of-it.

Sad times.

Agree 100% it should never have happened, but his smug intimation that it just would not happen at a rugger event is really unbelievable.

Latest posts