What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eela and his Hypothetical : re: Tahu

yy_cheng

Coach
Tahu fear at Hagan appointment
By David Riccio
December 11, 2005

STAR Eel Timana Tahu has declared the potential signing of Michael Hagan could have a major bearing on his future at the club.

Tahu, who won a premiership with Newcastle under Hagan, walked out of the Knights a year ago after his repeated requests to play in the centres were ignored.

"The main reason why I left Newcastle was because I wanted to play in the centres," Tahu said.

"If he (Hagan) does get selected for the job it's going to become a major issue for me. I most definitely don't want to be playing out on the wing again."

Should Hagan join the Eels in place of the axed Brian Smith at the end of next season, Tahu will demand an immediate meeting with the Eels hierarchy.

Tahu's $1.2 million, three-year deal with the Eels expires after season 2007.

"If Denis Fitzgerald thinks he (Hagan) is right for the job then we'll all have to sit down and sort something out," Tahu said.

"It took me a while to firstly get the opportunity to play in the centres (at the Eels) and then get used to playing there.

"I loved last season and think I'll only get better with more time there."

Advertisement:

Tahu said it was after a meeting with Hagan in 2004 that he realised he would be forever bound to the wing at Newcastle. "He obviously had other centres lined up in front of me like George Carmont, Anthony Quinn and Brad Tighe, but wing was a position I just didn't want to play," Tahu said. "But he (Hagan) thought I was better off playing on the wing."

Tahu added that he left Hagan and Newcastle on good terms but believes a return to the wing would bring undone his most enjoyable season to date.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said that he and his board members wouldn't be rushed into making a decision.

"Hopefully whatever coach gets the nod will be good for the job, because Brian Smith has put a lot of work into building this team," Tahu said.

The Sunday Telegraph

lucablight

First Grade
I think Tahu has proved himself at centre and if that's where he wants to play that's where he should play. I would personally rate him better than Cooper.

Stagger eel

Staff member
just remember, we're still 12 months away from a new coach, within that time T will establish himself and rival Gaz, Tate, king and Lyon as the best centre in the game, last season season was a platform this season "the skys the limit"

he'll stay centre.

eels1986

Juniors
Tahu will play centre but the most pleasing piece from that report was the Tahu had his most enjoyable season so far which is great news.

shiftysmith

Juniors
can someone give me some positives in the situation if hagan comes to our club,i can not see any,alot of fans dont want him and by the sound of it either do the players.

Would be hard for Hagan to move the joint Thornett Medallist from the position that he won the award in (and also not playing in all the games as well).

number8

Juniors
That is the best thing I've read in weeks. You can't tell what the guys thinking to look at him. He never smiles & it makes you doubt whether he is happy here. Obviously he is & you'd also have to assume that he is one of the players who are opting for Taylor in the head job.

Hopefully more players having their say with favour a Taylor appointment but I'm not sure how many would carry the same weight as that one. I think it shows what Tahu (one who'd know) thinks of Hagans coaching & more so his selection ethos.

"He obviously had other centres lined up in front of me like George Carmont, Anthony Quinn and Brad Tighe, but wing was a position I just didn't want to play,"

And some of you guys think Brian has selection issues. All bar one of those guys are nuffy players. None though would touch Tahu as a centre option. Yet Hag's had them ahead of him.......?

Hage's supporters ~ You think you've got problems with Smitty selecting Burty & Wags........... You aint seen nothing yet. He thinks George Carmont, Anthony Quinn and Brad Tighe are better centres than Tahu!

Hurriflatch

Referee
If guys like Carmont etc are rated as better centres then Tahu by Hagan then you'd see a centre paring of Hindmarsh and Morrison before Tahu gets a run at Parra if Hagan is coach.

Will be interesting to see how this effects everything

If Fitzy/The Board is detirmined to have Hagan as coach and with Hagan coming in in 2007 and that being the last year on Tahu's contract (*although he does have an option for 2008) and with the likes of Delaney, Inu and Hayne coming though it might be decided that losing Tahu mightn't be that bad.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I personally think Tahu is scarred for life on the wing

Courtesy of years of wayward flick passes from Gidley :mrgreen:

Eelementary

Post Whore
JT hasn't coached First Grade.

JT hasn't won many titles.

JT didn't lead us to victory in 2001.

But JT DOES have the players' respect and support.

He knows, agrees with and respects Brian's current set-up at the Eels.

He would be the ideal candidate.

If Tahu goes because we signed Hagan, I'll be very pissed...

number8

Juniors
Eelementary said:

If Tahu goes because we signed Hagan, I'll be very pissed...

Nor had Hagan prior to his first victorious NRL season

How many does Hage have? & How many years has he got on JT to get them?

Hages led the Knights. We all know that!

We also all know it was in his 1st Season in the NRL coaching ranks

Hagan does not

As he should. It's the best set up in the comp

He's got my vote

If Tahu goes because we signed Hagan, I'll be very pissed

Tahu will go if we signed Hagan. He came here to play centre & he'll go somewhere else to play centre.

Latest posts