What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels 9's squad

strider

Post Whore
Yes keep your opinions to yoursleves this is an Internet Rigby league forum.

and I'm just having an opinion that someone else's opinion is horse shit too :D

but I agree it's 9s and it's all a bit fast unstructured mickey mouse mumbo jumbo - so we shouldn't really be picky about anyone

strider

Post Whore
Don't get me wrong, merkin - I'm a big fan of Semi, but he has a lot of work to do.

And I'm not against Robinson, but much like Sandow, the 9's is built for him, and he was a bit underwhelming for me.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but he's an Eel, so I want him to succeed.

I don't actually think 9s is about speed ..... I think its primarily about endurance ..... don't get me wrong speed is very handy - its handy in 13s too - but speed is not more important in this than strength and footwork too ..... but its really all about the guys who get their hands on the ball alot - like sandow

Forty20

First Grade
Since it is handbags at 10 paces in this thread... :p

Hey Poups ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Bigfella

Coach
The main skill is the ability to create an overlap.

Newcastle had a pretty fast team but were woeful creatively.

Sides with the greater number of players capable of making decisions which create space - whether by offloading; spreading; running or kicking, will probably do the best.

Obviously pace and power help enormously but if you play brain dead they won't help.

We look like we have a few options across the park. It would have been nice to have hoppa as well because he's a master at creating space or an overlap.

Joely01

Bench
Good first win.
After watching a few games I think we look like one of the teams to beat.

Sandow played really well, good to see him confident.

Can't wait to see semi take off

Joely01

Bench
Also think Robinson looks good, I know a few on here don't rate him.

But I think he will be a surprise packet this year

strider

Post Whore
The main skill is the ability to create an overlap.

Newcastle had a pretty fast team but were woeful creatively.

Sides with the greater number of players capable of making decisions which create space - whether by offloading; spreading; running or kicking, will probably do the best.

Obviously pace and power help enormously but if you play brain dead they won't help.

We look like we have a few options across the park. It would have been nice to have hoppa as well because he's a master at creating space or an overlap.

agree .... tho I think I'd say its about making space in general - whether it be an overlap or a gap down the middle - overlaps are probably easier space to find tho .... I think the bonus points for scoring near the posts is a good concept tho, cos it can be a bit boring if its all just about running around the edge of the other team like an under 8s game

but as u said it all comes back to creativity

strider

Post Whore
Good first win.
After watching a few games I think we look like one of the teams to beat.

Sandow played really well, good to see him confident.

Can't wait to see semi take off

yeah - at first i thought we were a bit rusty - drop balls n shit ..... but after watching a bit of the other games I agree our game was the best and we looked pretty good in hindsight

9s is a hard one tho - you can be great but still lose if you have a bad few minutes in a game - you don't have much time to make up for it

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't actually think 9s is about speed ..... I think its primarily about endurance ..... don't get me wrong speed is very handy - its handy in 13s too - but speed is not more important in this than strength and footwork too ..... but its really all about the guys who get their hands on the ball alot - like sandow

Agreed. It's more about one-on-ones (strength and footwork) than it is about pure speed. Too many people are still thinking it's like sevens, but those two extra players limit space enough that it resembles thirteen-a-side (during broken play) more than it resembles sevens. The reason sevens was so speed focused was because there's a two man overlap at least once every set. That's not the case in nines footy. I love it. I think the NRL should switch to this for 80 minutes. Maybe with reduced tackle count.

Forty20

First Grade
Sorry buddy, I just got swept up in the moment and wanted to impress all the other kids.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the bonus points for scoring near the posts is a good concept tho, cos it can be a bit boring if its all just about running around the edge of the other team like an under 8s game

I don't think teams will neglect an opportunity out wide just because they're less likely to get the extra point. You take the opportunities presented.

The bonus point thing is designed to make the defenders chase a break right to the end.

Forty20

First Grade
:lol:

You're f**king perfect mate.

Anyway this game has been something of a bludger. Not much reason for either team to be excited.

strider

Post Whore
Agreed. It's more about one-on-ones (strength and footwork) than it is about pure speed. Too many people are still thinking it's like sevens, but those two extra players limit space enough that it resembles thirteen-a-side (during broken play) more than it resembles sevens. The reason sevens was so speed focused was because there's a two man overlap at least once every set. That's not the case in nines footy. I love it. I think the NRL should switch to this for 80 minutes. Maybe with reduced tackle count.

don't know if I'd want to see 9s be the permenant form of the game .... I'd be happy with 11s tho

I actually think the 9s games should be slightly longer tho - even just another minute each half (9 minutes is just taking the 9s thing a bit far)

Now - on these sleeveless jersey ... aussie rules has sleeveless jerseys to make it harder to tackle you (less to grab hold of) - which is fine to think that might help here too .... but aussie rules is far less defensive oriented and alot about shirt grabbing .... I actually think the lack of sleaves could make it harder to make tackles too, cos your shoulders will be slippery and less effective to make a tackle with

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The reason I like nines is that there is less wrestle. Teams just can't afford to get numbers in every tackle.

Though I also think if teams just hold the ball it will be easy to wear a mistake ridden opposition down, especially over 80 minutes. That's why I would want to see a reduced tackle count - four or even three tackles would be perfect. It would lead to more frequent kicking too, and in nines there's always opportunities after a kick.

Last edited:

Latest posts