What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels backline the hottest in NRL: Finch

Panther_Daz

Staff member
petetheileet said:
Cowboys Dragons or possibly Panthers for mine, as long as they all on the park

Not yet for Penrith, but we are building an awesome backline. This will be finished by probably late next year, early 2009.

1.Lachlan Coote
2.Michael Gordon
3.Michael Jennings
4.Maurice Blair/Greg Waddell
5.Geoff Daniela
6.Jarrod Sammut
7.Wade Graham

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
lockyno1 said:
That is tough- Cronk would have easily played rep had he not had Thurston/Lockyer ahead of him!

Don't forget Scott Prince.

Folau will play rep next season

For NZ? He won't play Origin. Not next year anyway.

and so will Chambers to be honest.

Don't be stupid.

King you forgot on your list!

Whoops I did too.

King is good - he's big, solid and dependable. He fills the Ben Smith role for Melbourne but he hasn't got the freakish attacking ability of our 4.

And how is Grothe or Slater a Origin regular? I would love to know!

It's an arbitrary label - "origin regular" - personally I'd say you're a regular if you'd played 2 or more Origin games two years in a row.

But that said if you want to include Grothe and Slater or not, since one plays for Melbourne and one plays for Parra it doesn't change comparisons between the two teams in any way.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Panther_Daz said:
Come on mate, thats a stupid thing to say. NSW outside backs have nothing on QLD's. If Slater was from NSW, im sure he would be a regular.

NSW don't pick outside backs under 95kg though do they?

Unless they can kick goals...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Poupou Escobar said:
Don't forget Scott Prince.

For NZ? He won't play Origin. Not next year anyway.

Don't be stupid.

Whoops I did too.

King is good - he's big, solid and dependable. He fills the Ben Smith role for Melbourne but he hasn't got the freakish attacking ability of our 4.

It's an arbitrary label - "origin regular" - personally I'd say you're a regular if you'd played 2 or more Origin games two years in a row.

But that said if you want to include Grothe and Slater or not, since one plays for Melbourne and one plays for Parra it doesn't change comparisons between the two teams in any way.

Folau will play Origin, as Tate is just about done.

Ice777

Bench
Folau will be a huge chance to play Origin next year. Chambers will be no chance in his first full year i wouldn't think. That's taken nothing away from his ability as he has sh*tloads of it but i just don't think he'll be ready next year.

Ice777

Bench
Fast Eddie said:
Has this just been 10 pages of "our backline is way better than yours"?

Pretty much and i reckon Poupou has contributed 8 of those pages telling us just how brilliant Parra's backline really is :lol:

tiger_nick

Bench
Poupou Escobar said:
That's stupid.

Cronk is a good player with a great kicking game, and King and Folau are big and strong and dependable, but only Inglis and Slater are in the Hayne/Tahu/Inu/Grothe class for brilliance when nothing's on.

Tim Smith might be erratic but he too is incredible at pulling tryscoring kicks and passes out of his ar$e.

Grothe and King are the same sort of players, both use their size and speed to score. Personally I'd take King before Grothe but would snap the guru up in a second if given the chance.

Tim Smith is a good player but I cant see parra winning a comp with a halfback who refuses to take on the line.

tiger_nick

Bench
Eels fans seem to have gone off a bit early about their team IMO. They're going to finish in the top 4 no doubt. But can they win four games in a row against top opponents? I personally dont think so. They just better hope they get to play us somewhere in there :lol:

goboggo

Juniors
tiger_nick said:
Eels fans seem to have gone off a bit early about their team IMO. They're going to finish in the top 4 no doubt. But can they win four games in a row against top opponents? I personally dont think so. They just better hope they get to play us somewhere in there :lol:

Mate no-one here is saying we're going to win the comp.

We've been praising the quality and talent of our backline.

We've got a chance to win the comp, even with a halfback that doesn't take on the line :roll:

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by tiger_nick
Eels fans seem to have gone off a bit early about their team IMO. They're going to finish in the top 4 no doubt. But can they win four games in a row against top opponents? I personally dont think so. They just better hope they get to play us somewhere in there

Hopefully we play the tigers in the GF, because we all know who'll win that match...and it's not the tigers

Tekken Lord

Juniors
In saying that i don't think the eels will win it this year, but they have a chance. The people on here talking up the backline are doing just that, talking up the backline nothing more.

mattyg

Bench
WTF? said:
Hopefully we play the tigers in the GF, because we all know who'll win that match...and it's not the tigers

prepare for tears..

sounds like 2005 all over again..."we won't lose to Cowboys, we can even afford to rest Hindmarsh!!" ;-)

Agent Mulder

Bench
tiger_nick said:
Grothe and King are the same sort of players, both use their size and speed to score. Personally I'd take King before Grothe but would snap the guru up in a second if given the chance.

Tim Smith is a good player but I cant see parra winning a comp with a halfback who refuses to take on the line.

Thats true i would like to see Timmy Smith take the line on much more, I'm not too sure about the Eels winning it all this year, I do believe that Parramatta will win a comp under Hagan i just have my doubts about this year, I thought at times we have looked very shaky sitting in 3rd place, But on the other hand the finals will be a different ball game, So who knows, I wouldn't read too much into how Melbourne are going atm they will be the ones to beat, You will see that on Sunday, The Storm will rip the Broncos apart.