What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels deliver ultimatum to Daniel Anderson: Step Down or be Sacked & accused of racism

Should Anderson get the sack?

• Total voters

ParraAds

Juniors
I have a simple question for the clowns that voted for DA to be sacked.

If we happened to win the GF last year, and 2010 was still a poor season, would he still deserve to be sacked???????

It has nothing to do with it really, it's just convenient to use missing the finals as an excuse. It's simply a case of guilty by association for Anderson as he was appointed under the Fitzgerald regime.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
No, I think we'd be talking about two shocking seasons and there'd be fewer people upset about Andersons sacking.

And the "cultural problem", how can we have a successful club while it is being ripped apart by different standards that don't let the whole club come together in unison. The club needs a respected leader. Presently there are too many chiefs and few Indians.

I am rehashing an old post from a few weeks ago and this is not about "self noting me", its just sharing the life experiences I had being a businessman for 20 years, experiences I draw on that are relevant to what is happening to our club............

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=6874626&postcount=52

When I ran business for 20 years, had large staff numbers, I took it upon myself to know everything going on, when sh*t happened, I was quick to put the fire out. If that meant sacking someone, out they went.

If I stuffed up which I did a few times, lost connection with my business through staff and sh*t happened, when I finally found out, the little fire had become a bigger staff fire raging through the brains of many employees. I blamed myself for letting it get that far and what a f**king mess and hassle it was to clean up the mess, many a head went rolling and it took sometime to get staff morale back on line with the pulse of the business which is the pulse of my leadership.

Regardless what anyone says be it from the club or the board or from this forum or from sevens, all sh*t starts and ends at the top. If the top knows their business and has a finger on the pulse of their business, the top stops anything from breaking out into chaos as it has done for many months with 3P. Good Bye 3P, you are disgraceful, you have no idea how to run this club as reflected in the saga after saga after saga after saga after saga after saga.

Good leadership is all pervasive throughout the whole of the club, it has too otherwise chaos ensues. The top must have a finger on the pulse of all aspects of its business which reflects its leadership. When sh*t happens as it has done under the auspice of 3P it clearly reveals that 3P has lost (or never had) connection with the pulse of the club it is supposed to oversee. The pulse (life) of the club does not live for 3P. They are there for all the wrong reasons......

Great leadership HAS NO EXCUSE because they have taken FULL-RESPONSIBILITY and they never hide behind excuses (limited liability)... no passing the buck......

The message is VERY LOUD AND CLEAR........ Goodbye 3P.......

strider

Post Whore
Well, no, he was saying he doesn't think the position is tenable if its only for a year and someone is coming into replace the coach. he said he didnt think someone could coach for just one year under those circumstamces, and that it was better to make a cut rather than waste a year.I think that makes a lot of sense, though obviously each circumstance would be different. You'd probably then build the third year into the contract as an option. and the circumstances he was talking about are where you know you're not going to renew a coaches contract a season out, which would not necessarily always be the case

yeah - that is exactly what i was referring to .... basically every time you want to change coaches, unless you want to leave it until the end of a season to hire the new guy (which will NEVER happen in the current day - no club or coach will wait until then) then you have to cut the current coach 1 year early and pay him out

if you can get the coach to agree to an option then yes that'd be great - I'd have some doubts a good coach will agree to an option in the club's favour

Avenger

Immortal
The genius Hagan got rid of Maloney AND Hodkinson
Keep at least one and we probably wouldn't be in this mess now

and Anderson had an opportunity to sign Hodkinson or Tim Smith at the beginning of this season because he opted for Robson and Mortimer.

CrazyEel

Bench
I judge them differently because Hagan started with a good side and took it downhill. Anderson has started with a rabble and is trying to turn that around. I think it's pretty easy to see which deserves more time to prove themselves...
Likewise I think it's pretty easy to see that there is no objective difference but hey we all have our own perceptions, so be it.

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol...Hodkinson was on contract at Manly, and Tim Smith needs to focus on his head rather than footy and it shows in his play. The options available to us, as average as they were, were the best we could do...and that situation was one Anderson inherited, so the criticism for it baffles me

Avenger

Immortal
Lol...Hodkinson was on contract at Manly, and Tim Smith needs to focus on his head rather than footy and it shows in his play. The options available to us, as average as they were, were the best we could do...and that situation was one Anderson inherited, so the criticism for it baffles me

Why then did both of them offer their services to Parra ?

Bazal

Post Whore
They can offer as much as they like...if they're on contract then their club has to release them, and Hodkinson was on contract. Smith is shot at the moment, I'm a big fan of his but I'm with Ando 100% on that decision. He was ratsh*t this year. Once again, the criticism astounds me...

CrazyEel

Bench
It was not one Anderson inherited at all, I believe Stagger stated earlier in the year that Hodkinson approached DA and wanted to return but was told he wasn't wanted.

Avenger

Immortal
It was not one Anderson inherited at all, I believe Stagger stated earlier in the year that Hodkinson approached DA and wanted to return but was told he wasn't wanted.

Exactly. It was before Orford made his decison to go to the UK. Hodkinson at that stage was free to leave if he found a NRL gig elsewhere.

Noise

Coach
Exactly. It was before Orford made his decison to go to the UK. Hodkinson at that stage was free to leave if he found a NRL gig elsewhere.

And you can bet ur arse that he would have been a hell of a lot cheaper than mortz

Ratchy

Juniors
That for me sums up why 3P have failed to deliver, no structure for developing the team just a haphazard approach of sit back hope for the best, and when it goes pear shaped shaft the coach.
Professionalism is not just required on field.

How in the hell is it the boards fault that the coach had no plans in place for the future.

Bazal

Post Whore
And you're all assuming that Manly would let their back up half off contract....FFS, I'd love Hokko at Parramatta but he was ON A F**KING CONTRACT with Manly. He can approach us all he likes, but if he's on a contract what the hell do expect the club to do? Not to mention at the time, we had Robson, Mortimer, Keating, and Humble in terms of halves...I don't think even Jack Gibson would have foreseen that all three top options would fail so miserably. It's a tremendously stupid criticism

spartan2153

Juniors
OK so all you idiots out there expect manly to release hodgkinson when orford had not been signed yet to a contract for this year.

I think you guys need to stop believing what you read in the papers. In the telegraph last year there was a article how ando had changed the performance set up in our system to find the best juniors.

He had plans in place but we dont here about that because the telegraph has been promoting kearney or even ricky stuart for the job since last year.

There was always rumours about ando getting the punt.

You all expect me to believe that a coach who has made 6 grandfinals with 3 different teams in 9 years has no idea how to coach. You guys are so stupid its not funny. Osbourne was quoted as saying he didnt want smith because it was a different direction to what he want3ed the club to go. He chased cooper without ando consent. Signed tahu because he was good friends with him & always wanted him & said it himself. He is even quoted as saying he is the man that makes the decisions & now you believe the board are blaming anderson for everything.

Pull your head out of the sand & see that this is a vendetta against the fitzgerald alliance. You see if they succeed under Ando they cant say they were responsible. Its the same thing as fitzgerald when he signed jack gibson. He could never fully take responsibility because he was against wanting jack gibson in the first place

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
670435-anderson.jpg

Parramatta NRL club sack Daniel Anderson
as coach at emergency board meeting

646895-daniel-anderson.jpg

End of the line...Daniel Anderson has been sacked as Parramatta
coach after just two seasons in charge.
Source: The Daily Telegraph

Exclusive By Phil Rothfield
Sports Editor-at-large
The Daily Telegraph
September 26, 2010
8:32PM

THE Parramatta Eels have sacked coach Daniel Anderson at an emergency board meeting tonight.

The meeting - originally scheduled for Tuesday night - was brought forward 48 hours after news of his likely dismissal was leaked to the media over the weekend.

Parramatta is expected to issue a statement shortly to confirm his sacking and will begin negotiations shortly to sign Melbourne Storm's assistant coach Stephen Kearney.

His sacking follows an internal review conducted by CEO Paul Osborne and board members Geoff Gerard and Glenn Duncan, who is also chief executive of the club's major sponsor Pirtek.

Duncan earlier broke from boardroom protocol to reveal his opinion that Anderson should be replaced by Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney.

"I think the position is untenable for Daniel to stay," Duncan said. "Daniel's a good guy. I think he's had a hard time, but sometimes you've got to make these decisions for the club to move forward."

Anderson has been at the helm of the Eels for just two seasons. After being brought back to Australia from coaching St Helens in England last year, Anderson took Parramatta to the grand final.

This year the Eels finished 12th.

Link: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...cy-board-meeting/story-e6frexnr-1225929647804

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Anderson ditched as Eels turn to Kearney

Adrian Proszenko
SMH
September 26, 2010

anderson-420x0.jpg

End of line ... Daniel Anderson will be sacked this week. Photo: James Brickwood

STEPHEN KEARNEY is set to be offered the Parramatta coaching job when Daniel Anderson is officially sacked this week.

Anderson's dismissal, with a year remaining on his contract, is expected to be ratified at an Eels board meeting scheduled for Tuesday night. The issue of Anderson's tenure came to a head yesterday following radio reports of a racial vilification issue between Anderson and departing forward Feleti Mateo.

2GB broadcaster Ray Hadley claimed that Mateo would make racially based complaints against Anderson if the coach refused to stand down from his post.

Mateo denied the allegations via an Eels media release, which stated: ''I have been told about a report on radio saying that I had complained about a racial issue regarding Daniel, and that it had been brought up in discussion about the coaching situation at the club. That is absolutely not true.

''I spoke with Ando today to clarify this and there is no issue. There has been no racial comments that have upset me, let alone been anything I have complained to the club about. Nothing of the sort has anything to do with me leaving to play with the Warriors.

''What the club does on the coaching front, or anything to do with the board and management, has nothing to do with me and I am disappointed my name has been brought into this.''

Chief executive Paul Osborne added: "No issue between Feleti and Daniel has ever been raised with the club and suggestions to the contrary are completely false. I've spoken to Daniel today and it's the first either of us had heard of this supposed complaint. It didn't happen.''

On a tumultuous day for the club, the much-anticipated review of the club's horror season was emailed to directors. The review, conducted by Osborne and board members Geoff Gerard and Glenn Duncan, did not make any recommendations regarding the tenure of Anderson.

Some board members had discussed the possibility of replacing Anderson with former Cronulla mentor Ricky Stuart, but it's understood the majority want Kearney to take over from next year.

''You're the first call I have had about it,'' Stuart said yesterday about links to the Parramatta job.

Eels officials had considered extending the tenure of Anderson for a further two years. However, that is no longer an option and the club will have to pay out the remaining $300,000 of his contract.

Anderson didn't return calls but his manager, Jim Banaghan, said: ''I spoke to Paul Osborne after I heard those rumours and he assured me there will be a board meeting on Tuesday and if he knows anything more he'll give me a ring.

''Normally with these rumours, where there is smoke there is fire.''

Duncan, a recent appointee to the board and the managing director of Eels major sponsor Pirtek, spoke of the challenges facing the club, which were outlined in the review.

''As a businessman, I was shocked there were no structures, policies, procedures or disciplines in place,'' Duncan said. ''I thought of Parramatta as the envy of other clubs as far as structure but it had all fallen away. There was not even a one-year plan let alone a three- or five-year plan.''

Asked his view on the coaching situation, Duncan said: ''If we're not going to extend Daniel's contract … and the way things are going that is not the view [of the board] … then I'm in favour of making a change.

''If you put Stephen Kearney's name up and you asked me is he someone who could put in disciplined structures and a playing style for the future - yes, he can.

''But we need to start with some disciplines and structures first. That's my personal view.''

with Daniel Lane

Link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...d-as-eels-turn-to-kearney-20100925-15ri8.html

fish eel

Immortal
And you're all assuming that Manly would let their back up half off contract....FFS, I'd love Hokko at Parramatta but he was ON A F**KING CONTRACT with Manly. He can approach us all he likes, but if he's on a contract what the hell do expect the club to do? Not to mention at the time, we had Robson, Mortimer, Keating, and Humble in terms of halves...I don't think even Jack Gibson would have foreseen that all three top options would fail so miserably. It's a tremendously stupid criticism

People who know more about the comings and goings than you or I seem to think he was ours if we wanted him, but we'll never know because Anderson passed.

Suitman

Post Whore
Whether the decision was good or bad, we will soon have a new coach.
I'm now looking forward to 2011 and hoping that a new mind in our coaching ranks can take us forward from the embarressing 12th position (13th really) of this year.

The Board has made a decision. I will be reneweing my membership, and turning up for the first game against the Dragons in Round 1 next season screaming and cheering as usual.
Life goes on.

Suity

Latest posts