What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels gain as Warriors make peace with half

The Colonel

Immortal
Eels gain as Warriors make peace with half
By Steve Mascord and James MacSmith
October 31, 2004
The Sun-Herald
thomasleuluai_wideweb__430x287.jpg

Slippery customer: Halfback Thomas Leuluai is delighted that the Warriors seem to have relented and will allow him to move to Parramatta.
Photo: Andy Zakeli

Parramatta are on the verge of signing Kiwi Test halfback Thomas Leuluai after months of protracted, and at times bizarre, negotiations.

The 19-year-old Warriors star has been at the centre of a three-country tug of war after visiting the Eels in late September but being told by the Auckland club he could leave only if he joined a British club.

Since arriving in England for the Tri-Nations series, he has been besieged by offers from English clubs but has held out in the hope of winning a release to go to Sydney.

"It's hard to concentrate on the Tests when people are throwing money at you," he said.

"They have been ringing up, Widnes were very keen. But all along, my first preference was to go to Parramatta and my manager says things have changed in the last 24, 48 hours. It looks as though the Warriors are going to release me so I'm very happy."

Leuluai, son of Kiwi great and Tri-Nations assistant coach James, has had a meteoric rise to the black and white No.7 jersey after spending much of the season in the Bartercard Cup.

Parramatta officials are known to have been angered by the Warriors' stand against his going to another NRL club, and agent Peter Brown has been working hard to convince them to reconsider.

"I went over and had a look and when I got back I told them Parramatta was where I wanted to go," Leuluai said. "They sort of told me they wanted me to go to England.

"But I'm only young, a bit too young to go that far from home.

"I really like it over here and I wouldn't be surprised if, in a couple of years, I ended up back here. But I'm really looking forward to going to Sydney, living on my own and fending for myself. I've got lots of family there, heaps of cousins."

One of them is experienced Manly and former Wests Tigers forward Kylie Leuluai.

Parramatta coach Brian Smith said the club was hopeful of soon announcing the signing of Leuluai.

"The negotiations are without a doubt the longest I've been involved with," Smith said. "I've no idea why they have taken so long but that's the Warriors prerogative.

"We've been close to signing him for the last few weeks. It's been very laid-back. They told him some time ago he could speak to us and we're happy with him. We will be happy to get it done whenever the Warriors decide to conclude negotiations."

All eyes will be on the quietly spoken half when New Zealand resume their Tri-Nations campaign against Great Britain at Huddersfield's Galpharm Stadium on Saturday. The Kiwis have only one competition point from their two games against Australia.

Leuluai said the retirement from international football of former Golden Boot winner Stacey Jones had been a shock.

"It made it hard on the young players but it has also given us an opportunity," he said.

Bulldogs whiz-kid Sonny Bill Williams, who played with a sternum injury in the second game against Australia, says he's fit and ready to take on Britain.

Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr has ruled out flying in a replacement if skipper Darren Lockyer misses the rest of the tournament. He said 25 players had been taken to England to cover such contingencies.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/30/1099028260013.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, I agree

I hope its a short term contract, cause he obviously wants to go back to NZ

I just hope it does not cost us one of our good junior half backs

Nikki

Coach
Parramatta officials are known to have been angered by the Warriors' stand against his going to another NRL club, and agent Peter Brown has been working hard to convince them to reconsider.

Does anyone else find the above quote a bit hypocritical on the Eels behalf???

Small Differance, Tomas has never said "I want to leave the warriors cause I can't stand New Zealand Life"

If he had said " I want to leave the Warriors cause I can't stand Southern Hemisphere life" Then the warriors would be right to block his release to any NRL club. :D

Utey

Coach
Well, I didnt expect this. If he stops Smith from getting a shot Ill be pretty p*ssed. He obviously doesnt want to stay here for a long term but Iam hoping that this team is now named:

6 Morris
7 Leuleui
9 Riddell
14 Marsh

Smith will have his shot and maybe not immediately but sometime next season.

True EEL

Bench
it does seem a bit hypocritical of Parra considering the Jamie saga.....

however, as Colonel suggested, it was more that Parra wouldn't release him to Manly specifically, because of all the behind the scenes activity relating to Manly

basically Parra had issues with Manly, because they were a big reason Jamie left and his sudden turnaround with city living made a mockery of his reasons for leaving

but still, the whole situation with signing and retaining players at Parra is becoming a joke and for those sensative people here i won't mention who i think that could or should be attributed too.....but you know ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
Cupid Stunt said:
Can someone point out the bit that says he doesnt want to be here for long?

"I really like it over here and I wouldn't be surprised if, in a couple of years, I ended up back here. But I'm really looking forward to going to Sydney, living on my own and fending for myself. I've got lots of family there, heaps of cousins."

Cupid Stunt

All things considered, at 19 a few years is probably a long term thing when your not only leaving home but also your country for the first time. Plus if all goes according to plan success would obviously be a swinging factor in an extension.

Through supporters eyes it may seem a bit hit & run a-la Dykes but from his POV keeping your options open makes sense.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Nikki said:

Does anyone else find the above quote a bit hypocritical on the Eels behalf???

I do, but apparently I'm wrong.

:roll:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Can someone point out the big issue (OTHER than the fact that he is ordinary)?

He's 19 - he's young.

Obviously, we can't keep both Tim Smith and Blake Green.

Some think Morris is leaving.

Therefore it seems like Brian's long-term plans are for:

6. Perenara
7. Green

Eelectrica

Referee
Let competition for Eels Halfback begin. May the BEST half win, as against the one Brian thinks should be the best but is actually the worst.
Also we whoever wins the job should be looked at as a long term option unless something unforseen happens. We don't want to be back in this same situation two years from now #-o

Utey

Coach
Heaps of Combinations and cant wait to see them in action. The lower grade lineups will be very very intresting.

Latest posts