What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gronk

Staff member
Blue and golds field a green spine after taking punt on Brown
Adrian ProszenkoMarch 16, 2019

Parramatta teenager Dylan Brown is about to make his debut in the youngest round-one spine this century.

Brown will be given the task of helping turn around the wooden spooners in the No.6 jersey at the tender age of only 18. The rookie won’t have the luxury of being blooded into an experienced spine given the Eels are relatively young in the key positions of hooker, halfback, five-eighth and fullback.

The average age of Parramatta’s spine of Brown (18.5 years), Mitchell Moses (24.5), Clint Gutherson (24.5) and Reed Mahoney (20.9) is just 22.1 years of age. According to Champion Data, whose records stretch back to 2001, no team has begun their premiership campaign with a lower average age.

Teenage star Brown earns promotion to Eels' top squad
Mahoney, who didn’t debut until halfway through last season, isn’t concerned about the spine’s lack of experience.

“I don’t think so. Numbers mean a lot, but they don’t in a way,” Mahoney said.

“We’ve trained really well in the pre-season and the spine has really gelled. We know what needs to be done and in the trial match [against Penrith] we’ve seen what can be done.”

Brown will run out against Penrith at Panthers Stadium without a single first-grade game to his credit, but good judges believe he has the makings of a superstar. The Warriors identified him as a replacement for Kiwis playmaker Shaun Johnson and tried to poach him – possibly in contravention to anti-tampering rules – on a deal worth more than $3 million.

He won’t be flying under the radar after impressing during Parramatta’s 20-0 trial win against Sunday’s opponents just a fortnight ago.

“He’s a good player, he’s not scared to take on the line,” Penrith halfback Nathan Cleary said after that performance.

“Come round one, we’ll definitely have to be wary of him.”

Brown has consistently played above his age as he came through the grades, developing a reputation as playmaker unfazed by pressure or outside noise.

“I’ve heard some good judges say that they particularly like his demeanour, the way he goes about it,” legendary Eels halfback Peter Sterling said.

“Until we see him doing it week in and week out against the best, we make those estimations and decisions later on. The raps around him are good but he comes into a pressure situation for a side that’s got a lot to prove.

“It’s not easy for him, but the reports are good.”

Penrith have made no secret of their desire to run as much traffic at Brown as possible in defence. To do so, they will first have to get past Shaun Lane. The Manly recruit has been tasked with acting as Brown’s bodyguard to keep him fresh in attack.

“That’s what the back-rower’s job is, to try to help the little fella outside you,” Lane said.

“Even though he’s only 18 he has a very mature head on his shoulders, he’s a tough little bugger.

“He’s not going to take any backward step, that’s for sure. I’ve gone up against him at training and if they want to go out him, I say go at him all day. He’ll just keep turning up.”

Brown won’t be the only debutant for the blue and golds. Fijian winger Maika Sivo will make his debut as a replacement for the injured George Jennings. While much of the focus is on new recruit Blake Ferguson, Michael Jennings said his new three-quarter partner had similarities to Radradra.

“He’s pretty bad at fitness but on the field he’s unreal," Jennings said. "Exactly like Semi."

PUNTING ON YOUTH – PARRAMATTA’s SPINE

• The average age of Parramatta’s spine (consisting of debutant Dylan Brown, Mitchell Moses, Clint Gutherson and Reed Mahoney) is just 22.1 years. It is this youngest round-one spine this century.
  • Newcastle have the next youngest spine in round one with an average age of 24.2 years.
  • Parramatta’s spine has just 180 games between them. Gutherson has made 66 NRL appearances, Brown none, Moses 105 and Mahoney nine.
  • Parramatta’s round-one opponent, Penrith, had a total of just 36 games of spine experience in round 18 of last season. They were one of 12 teams to boast less games than the current Eels spine due to injuries, but no team has kicked off their campaign with so little experience.
Source: Champion data

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bl...ter-taking-punt-on-brown-20190316-p514ry.html

Gronk

Staff member
Eels' Sivo just like Semi, says Panther

Matt Encarnacion
Australian Associated Press16 Mar 2019, 5:22 pm
Almost 18 months after losing Semi Radradra, Parramatta may just be about to unleash the next flying Fijian to dominate the NRL.

At least that's what fellow Fijian star Waqa Blake reckons his former Penrith clubmate Maika Sivo can prove to be when he gets his first grade shot on Sunday.

The 25-year-old has been handed his debut in the Eels' season-opener against the Panthers, and Blake believes fans will immediately liken Sivo to Radradra.

"I reckon they've got the same mould. They're both tall, and built with straight, Fijian muscle. I wish I had a bit of that, but I'm unlucky," Blake told AAP.

"He's massive. And if you see the way he runs, he's unstoppable."

Blake built a close bond with Sivo during his time at the Panthers, where he amassed a remarkable try-scoring rate in the lower grades.

From park footy to reserve grade, it is believed he racked up 105 tries in four years.

To put that in perspective, last year's leading tryscorer David Fusitu'a has 68 tries in his past four NRL seasons with the Warriors.

Radradra scored 82 tries in 94 games in five seasons for the Eels before switching codes to rugby union .

"We trained a lot together, running with each other in the pack. He doesn't say much. He just does his thing," Blake said.

"But he just shows out on the field. He's a tryscoring machine. He spent three years with us and he couldn't stop scoring tries.

"It'll be a big focus for us this week. It doesn't matter if he hasn't played NRL. He's going to be massive for them."

Eels coach Brad Arthur said he had kept an eye on Sivo after watching him during a trial game last year and immediately phoned recruitment officer Peter Sharp.

"I said, 'Mate, there's a good kid out here'. And we've been tracking him since then. He's worked really hard," Arthur said.

"(He) gets a good opportunity tomorrow against a club that gave him a leg-up."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/eels-sivo-just-semi-says-panther-062220479--spt.html

Gronk

Staff member
From Fiji to NRL via Gundagai: Tears cap rise of Eels rookie Sivo
Three thousand kilometres from his seaside village via the truck stop town of Gundagai, with over 100 tries and a breakdown in Brad Arthur's office along the way, Maika Sivo will make the most unlikely of NRL debuts on Sunday.

Sivo will trot out for Parramatta against arch rivals Penrith at the opposite end of the rookie spectrum to playmaking prodigy Dylan Brown.

Sivo is 25, and discovered rugby league four years ago.

Brown is 18, and was first unearthed at a schoolboy tournament by ex-Eels football manager Daniel Anderson around the same time.

The softly spoken Fijian was picked up in his village of Momi by Don and Kathy Tuckwell.

Now affectionately known as Sivo's "Aussie family", the Tuckwells sorted him out with a visa, accommodation and a start with Group 9's Gundagai Tigers.

Four-pointers have flowed ever since as Sivo quickly progressed from bush footy to Penrith's feeder system, to the point when he landed on Arthur's radar last year.

remote.axd

Emotional Maika Sivo on his NRL debut

Tears came too this week, at both Parramatta and back in Fiji, when Arthur told Sivo he would be debuting against his former club in Sunday's western Sydney showdown.

"Brad called me into the office on Monday morning, I thought I was going there to do video," Sivo told the Eels website.

"But he told me 'turn around' and I looked at the whiteboard and my name was there - number two.

"I was a bit emotional. I got emotional when he told me and I took a few minutes to get myself back together.

"…I called dad the other day, he was at home with mum and they were having dinner. He was a bit emotional and he told mum.

"I was going to bring them over but they don't have any passports so maybe next time.

"I told them last year to do their passport [applications]… but I didn't know it was going to come this quick for my debut."

At 105 kilos, 186 centimetres and with bucketloads of Fijian flair, comparisons with fan favourite Semi Radradra are inevitable.

Sivo wants to be known as his own man rather than Radradra reincarnate.

But his penchant for topping tryscoring lists at Gundagai, St Mary's and Mounties in successive seasons only encourages the connection, especially as he'll be wearing Radradra's old blue and gold No.2 number.

Radradra's journey took him via the glitz and glamour of the Rugby Sevens circuit with Fiji. Arthur notes Sivo's was a different path.

"It's been one of hard work hasn't it?" Arthur said.

"He went and played in the bush and progressed up through the grades. I saw him last year, I was out watching a trial match [between] Penrith and the Roosters.

"Straight after the game I got on the phone to Sharpie [recruitment manager Peter Sharp] and said there's a good kid out here.

"So we've been tracking him since then and he's worked really hard and he's progressed through the grades nicely. He gets an opportunity tomorrow against the club that gave him a leg up and gave him a start."

While Sivo gets his run on the flank, Brown will be front and centre at five-eighth, a key cog in one of the youngest first-choice NRL spines in recent memory.

The Eels have been careful to temper expectations around him. Especially after an approach from the Warriors splashed Brown's name across headlines on both sides of the Tasman.

remote.axd

Moses: Dylan Brown's a classy player

But with he and No.7 Mitch Moses putting hard yards into honing their combination, the reaction of debutants Sivo and Brown are particular cause for optimism from Arthur as Parramatta's season kicks off.

"[Brown] puts a lot of time into his game," Arthur said.

"People that put a lot of time and effort into their game are confident about how they can play and are only going to get better and better and that's what's going to happen with Dylan.

"It's really encouraging for us as a club that we can have two players make their debuts for us that have worked hard in the pre-season.

"I think the exciting thing or the key to it is the boys' reaction when I named them in the team.

"They were over the moon. They were very excited and nice and cheerful about it."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/16...ap-rise-of-parramatta-eels-rookie-maika-sivo/

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Sivo progression from country footy to NRL debut has been very impressive.

But just for a comparison of country footy to NRL, Dylan Morris the younger brother of the Morris brothers played SG ball a few years ago then went back to country footy once the season was over. At only 18 he got top try scorer in first grade even after missing a fair chuck of the season due to his SG ball commitments. And yet at 19 and 20 he struggled to get a regular starting spot in the dragons 20’s side.

TheFrog

Coach
Good luck with this bloke. He did well for us in the lower grades but last year was overlooked for the likes of Christian Crichton and Tyrone Phillips. I thought he'd get a run but didn't make the 30, chance to prove Gus wrong. He was a prolific tryscorer in reggies.

Gronk

Staff member
Jennings looking to end Parra chapter on right note

Michael Jennings concedes he got too comfortable last season during Parramatta's toughest time and wants to make amends in possibly his final year at the club, starting against his old side Penrith on Sunday.

The 30-year-old took the first step to redemption in the pre-season by knocking back an offer from Newcastle to see out the final season of a four-year contract he agreed to when joining the Eels in 2016.

Despite playing in every game for the blue and gold last season, Jennings referred to an unhealthy diet and skipping key "one percenters" as factors in his underwhelming form.

"I guess just handling situations differently," Jennings said, when asked what he had learnt from the 2018 season.

"I think I got too comfortable and just thought things would happen. The little extras, little one percent stuff that I used to do I fell away from that. Just relied on talent and things will be right, but they weren't alright last year.

"I think the easy side is the footy stuff for me but it's the off-field stuff that I had to fix up."

The Tongan international said speculation around his future had unsettled him but also delivered a wake-up call he needed.

An honest chat with Eels coach Brad Arthur, who too will enter the 2019 season under pressure to deliver results, was the catalyst for a shift in focus.

remote.axd

Panthers v Eels - Round 1

"Yeah, it was frustrating because, you know, I wanted to stick it out here and I didn't want to leave on bad terms and bad form," Jennings said.

"I wanted to leave on my own terms and yeah that's frustrating to hear that stuff but I got through it.

"I've put in a hard pre-season and really self-reflected on last year and just looking forward to a big one this year."

As part of his turnaround, Jennings has ditched the temptation of junk food.

He highlighted salt and vinegar chips as a personal favourite that he needed to let go.

"Just don't eat crap, that was the thing and being comfortable sitting in front of the television and stop snacking," he said.

"I've been working hard in the gym and have changed my diet and doing all the off-field stuff helping me at training.

"My speed isn't as fast as when I was younger but it's still up there. I'm feeling good.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/michael-jennings-looking-to-finish-eels-chapter-on-right-note/

Eelementary

Post Whore
Huge credit to Jenko for his chase of the Brown kick to put the player into touch. That was a huge play.

I guarantee, Jenko was not chasing kicks like that least season. He admits that.

I thought Jennings was very good.

He made a few errors, but he was great in defence, and made some clutch plays.

I'm a fan.

Gronk

Staff member
Huge credit to Jenko for his chase of the Brown kick to put the player into touch. That was a huge play.

I guarantee, Jenko was not chasing kicks like that least season. He admits that.
I thought Jennings was very good.

He made a few errors, but he was great in defence, and made some clutch plays.

I'm a fan.

That left side of Brown, Lane, Jenko and Sivo could be the best in the comp.

Thinking about it, Moses, Marata, Taka and Fergo is none too shabby either.

Latest posts