What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yeah ponga / Drown play different positions and have different skill sets.

However as 19 year old’s Ponga wasn’t an NRL regular and had 3 tries / nil TA in 9 games, Drown has 12 games for 2 tries / 3 TA.

Also Drown’s running game is fairly underestimated, for example he is averaging 9 runs for 74 while the likely Aussie halfback Evans has 10 runs for 66m (Cleary has 14 runs for 87m)

I think we really underestimate how good Drown has been this year as an 19 year old rookie, especially after missing 3 months or so with a fairly serious injury (and unable to train)
Also good points.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think a 500/600/700 split would be a fair contract offer for the next 3 years as he learns his trade. If he wants a 4th perhaps we go to 800k.

IFR33K

Coach
Assume he was going to average that value over his contract though, would you then pay him for example 700/700/700 where he’s over valued next year but unders in 3rd year, or 500/700/900 which might be closer to his value progression?

Not sure what the answer is, either way we’re paying for potential. If he kills it, it’s deemed as a master stroke. Otherwise it’ll be just another overpaid player. I wonder what the roosters paid for young Flanagan.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I’m sure it has been the plan that Moses runs the show, and rightly so. However, like you, I think he needs to be given more responsibility/licence to demand the ball in certain scenarios.
Mostly for Moses sake, the last few weeks he’s had too much pressure on him and had to do too much.

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah ponga / Drown play different positions and have different skill sets.

However as 19 year old’s Ponga wasn’t an NRL regular and had 3 tries / nil TA in 9 games, Drown has 12 games for 2 tries / 3 TA.

Also Drown’s running game is fairly underestimated, for example he is averaging 9 runs for 74 while the likely Aussie halfback Evans has 10 runs for 66m (Cleary has 14 runs for 87m)

I think we really underestimate how good Drown has been this year as an 19 year old rookie, especially after missing 3 months or so with a fairly serious injury (and unable to train)
It comes down a bit to positions but realistically the unrealised potential for Ponga really wasn’t that big a leap. His athleticism was very evident. The only potential paid for was if he could do the other basics plus any extras

84 Baby

Referee
I think a 500/600/700 split would be a fair contract offer for the next 3 years as he learns his trade. If he wants a 4th perhaps we go to 800k.
Not sure what the answer is, either way we’re paying for potential. If he kills it, it’s deemed as a master stroke. Otherwise it’ll be just another overpaid player. I wonder what the roosters paid for young Flanagan.
If you think we can boost our chances to contention in first year, I reckon you backend, but if you think our chances are still couple years away, I’d overpay in first year

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Well the roosters paid $350k / $600k over 3 years (as per reports) for Jayden Nikorima before he had even played NRL as at 20 year old

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/re...offer-jayden-nikorima-a-career-lifeline-73992

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...s/news-story/567f03be8840d269b393c384ede6ea81

Gronk

Staff member
contenders ? lol
Agree that we would have to play perfect footy in successive games to win it.

That’s the only difference between chooks storm and us, they play mistake free footy and spoil efforts well. We can match them with the 1% plays.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree with you both.

But, damn - we can play some really attractive attacking football.

All our tries were awesome last night.

Latest posts