What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In the membrane

200.gif

yy_cheng

Coach
He wouldn’t let Queensland down’: Eels coach backs Mahoney for Origin
635402f1698dc5687fb8f98be5c093fe76cbc56f

By Christian Nicolussi
May 6, 2021 — 7.45pm

Leave a comment

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur tries to avoid getting involved in Origin selection debates, but could not help himself when it came to Queensland hopeful Reed Mahoney.

“Reed has some healthy competition from that kid in Melbourne [Harry Grant], but I tell you what he wouldn’t do – he wouldn’t let Queensland down,” Arthur said.

image.jpg

image.jpg

4:28

NRL Highlights: The Eels put on a show against the Bulldogs - Round 8
1d2d24e698901e9e38d3d77d8f5610db1e147961

The Parramatta Eels take on the Canterbury Bulldogs in round 8 of the 2021 NRL season.

“I don’t like getting involved in those selection debates, but I’ll guarantee you he’d do everything that’s best for that team, he’d be a really good person for them to have around the group.

“Would it benefit us? Bloody oath it would. The good thing with ‘Reedy’ is he knows all that stuff will come to him.

Advertisement
“His priority is always the team that’s what I like about ‘Reedy’ - his effort on effort is through the roof.”

Mahoney has been excellent for Parramatta and the No. 9 will cause plenty of headaches for the injury-ravaged Sydney Roosters at Bankwest Stadium on Friday night.

034bcc13c437bfa64baae740574ba3aa7c389a18

The Eels hooker has stripped nearly five kilos and found it easier coping with the ruck speed.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

At the same time that the Roosters dummy-half stocks have thinned due to the retirement of Jake Friend, an arm injury for Freddy Lussick and Sam Verrills undergoing eye surgery this week for a semi-detached retina, Mahoney’s form has put him in the Maroons’ selection debate.

Grant is the Queensland incumbent and did an excellent job in the Origin decider last November, but Mahoney is pushing hard to be included as their back-up.

Advertisement
Mahoney presents a hard exterior on the field, but has this year started laser hair removal on his legs and buttocks, as well as fake tanning. He was also contemplating cosmetic surgery on his “cauliflower ears” at the end of the year.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga is a huge fan of Mahoney, while NSW and Kangaroos No. 9 Damien Cook told the Herald last week: “Reed is in career-best form and will be asking the question of selectors up there as well”.

Mahoney, who lost nearly five kilos over the summer to help cope with the quicker game, said he would not disappoint his state if included in their squad.

“I guess it’s a kid’s dream, and just to be in that conversation is great,” Mahoney said. “I’ve worked extremely hard to put myself in the No. 9 jersey at Parra. While Queensland selection isn’t in my control, what is in my control is playing good footy and winning games for Parra. If I’m there I’m there.

“I haven’t spoken to anyone and I don’t expect to. I do know everyone grows another leg when you play Origin. I like to do the tough stuff, and I feel I wouldn’t be out of place.”

Advertisement
Mahoney grew up idolising Johnathan Thurston, Cameron Smith and Billy Slater and loved the Maroons decade-long Origin whitewash.

After completing rehabilitation on a broken foot on his own during the COVID-enforced NRL shutdown this time last year, Mahoney held his own for the Eels, but spoke with Arthur about being more creative out of dummy-half.

“Brad is honest with me and believes in me, and I spoke to him about wanting to be more creative out of hooker,” he said.

Arthur added: “He’s starting to get a better feel for when to run and when not to run. He’s only played just over 50 games, it takes a while for them to work out what works for them. But Reedy has kept his game pretty simple and he’s in a good spot with his preparation.”

Advertisement
The Eels had four players involved with the extended Blues squad last year, and their involvement, Arthur said, helped with their leadership once they returned.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...backs-mahoney-for-origin-20210506-p57pei.html

Noise

Coach
Why did we roll the dice playing the top 30 players in reserve grade this week? The NRL team is what matters, not a shitty reserve grade comp.

Last edited:

eels_fan

First Grade
Yep... we see the roosters pull out 9 players and don’t clue on that maybe we should be looking to do the same...

And then celebrate we flogged a ron Massey cup team with a team half full of NRL squad players

eels_fan

First Grade
COVID gamble backfires: Parramatta Eels may not fill full squad for Magic Round

Parramatta could head into Magic Round with only 17 players available for selection after rolling the dice with the NRL’s latest COVID restrictions.

Five-eighth Dylan Brown and make-shift centre Marata Niukore accepted three and two week bans respectively for foul play on Friday nightagainst the Sydney Roosters.

Coach Brad Arthur’s potential replacements for Brown, Jordan Rankin and Jakob Arthur, Brad’s son, won’t be eligible for selection in the NRL side after playing in the NSW Cup in the curtain raiser to Friday’s match.

Brown accepted an early plea for a dangerous contact charge on Roosters playmaker Drew Hutchison, which left the five-eighth in hospital after sustaining broken ribs and a punctured lung as a result of the contact.

Under the NRL’s level three COVID protocols any player who took part in reserve grade over the weekend cannot re-enter their side’s NRL bubble until restrictions are eased.

Aside from losing Brown and Niukore, hooker Reed Mahoney must pass HIA protocols to play against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

Replacement hookers Joey Lussick and Nathaniel Roache also played in the NSW Cup. Rising forwards Wiremu Greig, Ray Stone and outside backs Hayze Perham and Michael Oldfield also lined up for the Eels’ reserve grade outfit.

Arthur does however welcome back centre Waqa Blake (calf) and lock forward Nathan Brown (hip) from injury.

The level three restrictions left clubs scrambling to withdraw top 30 players from reserve grade this weekend.

Both Penrith and Cronulla made the decision to pull all top 30 players and development players, 22 in total, originally named to play in Saturday afternoon’s clash between the Panthers and Newtown Jets, the Sharks’ feeder side.

The NRL warned clubs via an email that players who play in reserve grade won’t be able to re-enter the bubble until COVID restrictions are eased.

The NRL went into level three restrictions on Thursday after an COVID outbreak in Sydney.

While the NRL is hopeful the current level three protocols are short-lived, there is no guarantee restrictions will be removed in the coming days.

“Clubs have two choices, they can keep their players out of the NSW Cup this weekend and they remain in the NRL bubble or, if they release them to play in the NSW Cup, they can’t come back into the NRL bubble until restrictions are eased again,” NRL’s head of football, Graham Annesley told The Daily Telegraph on Friday.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/e6e4d985497890adc8bf8a2f8f407943

Gronk

Staff member
As if a compromise won’t be found so the NRL team can go to Brisbane with 19 players.

IFR33K

Coach
And what if we had 2 injuries plus the two suspensions from Friday. We’d be forced to go with lass than 17 players? What a crook of shit. As if we’d be forced to play without a full team. Didn’t they delay a game last year because a player had to get a Covid test? Maybe twas Aiden tolman/Bulldogs.