What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Gazzamatta

Coach
Why is it ex Parra media "personalities" are as dumb as Devon. Then we have Sterlo who works so hard to be impartial it pis*es every Eels supporter off. Yeah it took a while to work Mannah out but he and his gaol bird bestie did a lot of damage to the culture of our club.

eels_fan

First Grade
Ludicrous suggestion from Mannah, laughable really.

Where does that concept even come from.

If his suggestion had been Gutho to halves in a pairing with Moses whilst Brown is out, that’s not an entirely horrendous idea, but when our halves are available why would you mid-season just jumble the spine for fun?

Gronk

Staff member
Telecrap are making headlines again. Yes, we know he needs to be Top 30 merkins.

The NRL will ban Brad Arthur’s son Jakob from playing in Magic Round unless he is upgraded to a top 30 contract in the next 48 hours.

The 18-year-old five-eighth is on a development contract and can’t be used ahead of a top-30 player before Round 11 under NRL qualification rules.

The Eels are desperately trying to sort out a new contract today.

The termination of Michael Jenning’s contract last week has at least opened up a place in Parramatta’s top 30.

eels_fan

First Grade
Pretty sure our football manager has a general knowledge of which players are actually registered and able to play first grade...

I seriously doubt we are desperately trying to do anything today, other then potentially trying to get up to brissie a day earlier for some training with the full team

IFR33K

Coach
Ludicrous suggestion from Mannah, laughable really.

Where does that concept even come from.

If his suggestion had been Gutho to halves in a pairing with Moses whilst Brown is out, that’s not an entirely horrendous idea, but when our halves are available why would you mid-season just jumble the spine for fun?

I’m not saying I agree with the idea, but gutho is arguably our best attacking threat, having his hands on the ball a little more isn’t the worst idea in the world.

and if I’m not mistaken, moses has played fullback in the nrl in the past

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
Telecrap are making headlines again. Yes, we know he needs to be Top 30 merkins.

The NRL will ban Brad Arthur’s son Jakob from playing in Magic Round unless he is upgraded to a top 30 contract in the next 48 hours.

The 18-year-old five-eighth is on a development contract and can’t be used ahead of a top-30 player before Round 11 under NRL qualification rules.

The Eels are desperately trying to sort out a new contract today.

The termination of Michael Jenning’s contract last week has at least opened up a place in Parramatta’s top 30.

So does this mean we’re essentially wasting a spot in the top 30, for just one round?

84 Baby

Referee
So does this mean we’re essentially wasting a spot in the top 30, for just one round?
3 rounds at least you’d assume edit - 2 rounds
Double edit - well the media around it is jumbled. Some articles say round 11, some say round 12

And it’s only a waste if we don’t think he’ll be good enough or at least better than Rankin

Last edited:

crocodile

Bench
Why is it ex Parra media "personalities" are as dumb as Devon. Then we have Sterlo who works so hard to be impartial it pis*es every Eels supporter off. Yeah it took a while to work Mannah out but he and his gaol bird bestie did a lot of damage to the culture of our club.
Not too many sharp ex footballers in the media from any club.

IFR33K

Coach
3 rounds at least you’d assume edit - 2 rounds

And it’s only a waste if we don’t think he’ll be good enough or at least better than Rankin

Wouldn’t Junior of been eligible for selection in round 11?? So we’re upgrading him for the sake of one round? Am I missing something here? If rankin could of played this week, wasn’t that the better option, than giving Jarthur an upgrade? I could be entirely wrong here, I may not be totally up to date with development contracts and what not, but if we’ve got a spot in the top 30, surely looking for a disgruntled player outside the club may be a better option, and waited for jarthur to play round 11 onwards

Gronk

Staff member
Wouldn’t Junior of been eligible for selection in round 11?? So we’re upgrading him for the sake of one round? Am I missing something here? If rankin could of played this week, wasn’t that the better option, than giving Jarthur an upgrade? I could be entirely wrong here, I may not be totally up to date with development contracts and what not, but if we’ve got a spot in the top 30, surely looking for a disgruntled player outside the club may be a better option, and waited for jarthur to play round 11 onwards

Waiting for Round 11 would defeat the purpose of giving him a taste of FG whilst Dylan is suspended ?

BTW Will Penisini was made top 30 even though you can have 6 (?) development players on your books ? So I think there is more to this cap process than meets the eye.

84 Baby

Referee
I read somewhere that is was round 12 but most places that I can find now are saying round 11. NRL don’t have anything that I can find.
I generally agree with you. I’m trying to think of the development player either last year or 2019 that was discussed upgrading while he was still development (Stefano perhaps). It’s slightly different in that ones a prop, ones a half but yeah unless they are genuinely going to be a part of the NRL side what’s the point in upgrading them beforehand.
But I think the waste of the spot is more on Rankin. No disrespect to the man, but Jrthur seems the more likely.

The whole thing could also be a political/risk mitigation move. Sign Jrthur up for a bit longer term now and it puts Drown on notice/allows us to plan in case Moses skedaddles

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Reckon Will was made top 30 as we had to have certain amount of players in the top 30 by a certain date. He probably was most ready for NRL out of the development players plus our centre depth wasn’t great.

I reckon it’s more important keeping a top 30 spot available if Arthur can just play next week. We do have options. And there is still 2/3 or so of the season to go. So never know when we may need to bring in another player...