What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah, there is obviously a bit of an age gap there, as Jake only turned 20 a couple of days ago. She must be 18 though I guess if she's going to the Dally M's.

As I said in the other thread, it could potentially be a good thing (with re-signing him), but one day things really could go pear shape (if there is a bad break up either between them or with the club and the coach). It will always have the potential to become a precarious situation either way.
Like the Keno TPA Penrith tried to transfer from Moylan to Maloney?

the phantom menace

First Grade
Could you imagine Ram's posts sent in Brian Smith text format back in the day? Before MMS each post/text of that length would have come through as 5 separate SMS, with players' phones buzzing constantly.

Johnny88

Juniors
Jason Taylor’s already done a video. I’ve missed the gig’: The day Brad Arthur missed out on Eels job

If you were so inclined to hack into a company’s computer system this week searching for delicate information that should never be released publicly, which company would it be?

Hack rugby league reporters might be tempted to hack into the Parramatta archives and find a video from October 2013 in which Jason Taylor talks about his new job as head coach.

Unfortunately, the video was deleted after the club’s volatile board backflipped on their decision a week earlier to go with Taylor – and appointed Brad Arthur.

When Arthur takes his place in the coach’s box for Sunday night’s grand final against Penrith, you wonder if he’ll take a moment to reflect on the dramatic series of events that led to him landing the job – because it went painfully close to never happening.

If not for some boardroom trickery so typical of Parramatta at the time, it would never have happened.

The salary cap scandal of 2016 is considered the club’s rock bottom, but 2013 was no less of a car crash.

After his side finished last, coach Ricky Stuart high-tailed it to Canberra with two years remaining on his contract.

Earlier that year, chairman Roy Spagnolo and his 3P ticket were rolled in Leagues club elections by former premiership-winner Steve Sharp and his ParraFirst ticket.

After Stuart’s hasty exit, Sharp publicly declared he wanted Arthur, who was an assistant at Manly, to get the job.

The only problem was Sharp didn’t have the numbers on his own board. Never a good sign for a chair.

At a board meeting in early October, directors voted 3-2 in favour of Taylor with finer details of the contract still to be rubber-stamped at another meeting in a week’s time.

But the deal was effectively done, so much so that the club’s media department interviewed Taylor in the grandstand of the old Parramatta Stadium.

That’s where former director Mario Libertini comes in. He had the casting vote that changed the course of history.

A trusty lieutenant to Spagnolo, Libertini was ousted from the Leagues club board – which controls the NRL team – earlier that year.

But under Parramatta’s convoluted constitution at the time, he was still on the football club board so he was qualified to come onto the Leagues club board at any time.

DALLAS KILPONEN

Libertini was so out in the cold that he wasn’t at the meeting when Taylor was given the nod.

We tracked him down to tell us what happened next.

“I got a phone call from [then chief executive] Scott Seward who said I had to do whatever I could to get back onto the board because they’re about to give the job to Jason Taylor and he’s asking for bonuses if he finishes ninth to 12th,” Libertini said. “And he wants a shitload of money.

“I was like, ‘Hang on, he’s got no pedigree. Why would he be asking for that stuff?’”

Libertini was headed to the Hawkesbury for the weekend but called Sharp and left a message: “I know that you were supporting Brad and not Jason Taylor – you definitely need my support”.

Sharp didn’t return the call straight away and for the next few days Libertini was out of mobile phone range.

As Libertini made his way back to Sydney, his phone exploded with messages. One was from Sharp: “Call me”.

Sharp had already convinced another director, Peter Serrao, to change his vote.

“I told Steve to not tell anybody that I would come to the board meeting on the Tuesday night,” Libertini recalled. “Before the meeting, I phoned Brad, who was on holiday in Bali. I told him that I’d be voting for him to reverse the decision. He said, ‘It’s done, Jason Taylor’s already done a video. I’ve missed the gig’.

“I walked into the boardroom and everyone’s jaw dropped. They’d seen a ghost. They knew I wasn’t a Jason Taylor man.

“I told them that I’d been on the board for six years and we’d given our coaches every possible tool to be successful and they’d delivered a duck egg. ‘Now you guys are about to give a job to a guy who wants to be rewarded with bonuses for finishing between ninth and 12th. We have this other bloke who will do the job for half the money, who loves Parra. Why wouldn’t we give him a go? We’ve given everyone else a go, paid them a motza and they’ve given us nothing’.”

Taylor declined to comment when contacted on Thursday but he told those close to him at the time that a sticking point had been the likely appointment of Daniel Anderson as head of football.

He had worked under John Lang in his previous job at Souths and wasn’t keen to have Anderson’s shadow looming over him.

He downplayed how advanced negotiations were, although he had told the Roosters, for whom he was an assistant coach, he had taken the job.

Then there’s the interview that never saw the light of day.

It was deleted on the same day of the media release announcing Arthur’s appointment — although there’s talk that a VCR recording exists of the interview.

What did Taylor say? Not much, according to very few people who have seen it.

He outlined his vision to turn the Eels into a team that can compete for grand finals.

Taylor’s vision has become Brad Arthur’s reality.

Johnny88

Juniors
Why Eels aren’t weighed down by history, hysteria and ghosts of 1986

It was during one of Parramatta’s annual pilgrimages to Darwin, an opportunity for the club to bolster its fan base and bottom line, that current and former Eels players came together.

As several generations of Eels stars mingled during the pre-game dinner, put on for the sponsors who had made the trip to the Top End, Dylan Brown turned to the bloke sitting beside him.

“So, what was your name again?” Brown asked his dining companion.

“Brett,” came the rather terse reply.

Brett didn’t seem overly impressed. Those who witnessed the exchange were also agog.

“I was standing next to Dyl at the time and I’ve just gone, ‘Are you serious? He’s the best six to play for the club, and you’re wearing his jersey,’” Brown’s halves partner Mitchell Moses recalls.

Turns out that “Brett” was none other than Brett Kenny. Here was Parramatta’s current No.6, completely oblivious to the fact he was in the presence of the club’s greatest player in his position, and the last to steer it to glory, in 1986.

The Eels haven’t won a premiership since the late Bob Hawke was prime minister.CREDIT:GETTY

At a time when the class of 2022 are said to be weighed down by the burden of history, that initial Brown-Kenny meeting suggests otherwise. While the endless comparisons to Peter Sterling have become tiresome for every subsequent Eels halfback – spare a thought for Moses during grand final week – not a single member of Brad Arthur’s team was born when Sterlo and Kenny completed their final lap of honour.

Which is why, while long-suffering fans keep delving back into the past for happy memories, the current team, which takes on the Panthers on Sunday in the NRL grand final, remains rooted in the present.

“I’ll focus on the now,” Brown says when reminded of the meeting. “I don’t know if they expect us to know every single player.

“I wasn’t a league supporter growing up; I don’t think I was born when he was playing.

“I met him at a function and didn’t know his name. I thought I’d ask him and he wasn’t too happy about it. But we’re mates now. We’re all good.”

Kenny doesn’t hold any grudges either.

“He knows now, it’s a bit of fun,” Kenny says. “I’m not dirty on him, it’s not his fault he came from New Zealand and played union; he wouldn’t have known much [about league].

“With all that’s going on in the media, that it’s been 36 years, they would know something about it now.”

If the longest drought in the NRL is finally broken, there will be new memories to sustain the Parramatta faithful. Until that is the case, they will harken back to that blue and golden year that was 1986, when the Eels won not only the Winfield Cup but also the midweek Panasonic Cup.

They were the two biggest moments of Mick Delroy’s career, although his memories of both are hazy. The Parramatta three-quarter was knocked out in both games. The coathanger that Andrew Farrar put on Delroy in the decider would be a send-off offence in today’s game.

“I don’t remember getting knocked out,” Delroy says. “The way he did it, Andrew Farrar went in hard and took his chances. He flipped the coin, it came up and everything was all right.

“He apologised straight after the game when I saw him. I didn’t even know what he was talking about, to be honest with you.
“I said, ‘That’s all right mate. Just excuse me, I’ve got to do a victory lap.’”

It almost didn’t happen. In the dying moments of the only tryless grand final in history, Canterbury were peppering the Parramatta line. In the final play of the game, Bulldogs hooker Mark Bugden makes one last, desperate lunge for glory. The man who made the try-saving tackle has gone onto become a trivia question.

“That famous last tackle,” chuckles Michael Moseley, the man who effected it. “I had a mate I worked with when I was at Tooheys and he put that question into trivia: who was the man who made the last tackle in the 1986 grand final?

“I still get asked about that.”

Moseley tackled himself to a standstill that day. Ringing in his ears was a pep talk that Alan Jones had delivered to the Eels a fortnight earlier. Jones, the former football coach and broadcaster, had told John Monie’s men not to look too far ahead; to break up each minute of the game.

“Just play every minute and then worry about the next minute when it comes,” Jones told them. “Just do what is in front of you.”

A photo of Moseley walking off the SCG after that 80th minute, his face a bloodied mess, was hung in the Parramatta Leagues Club under the caption: “The face of courage”.

“They used to have it in the bistro,” Moseley recalls. “People would see all the blood pouring off my face and it would turn them off their food. Denis Fitzgerald [club supremo] ended up taking it down.”

Other images endure: of Ray Price and Mick Cronin being chaired off together, sent out winners in their final game. All the players boarded the team bus, headed for the leagues club to celebrate the achievement, save for Price. He made his own way home first, where he and his wife were picked up. The rest of the team then drove off to fetch their skipper.

“So you’ve got 25 guys on this ginormous school bus out the front of Pricey’s place out at Georges Hall,” Moseley recalls. “Only Pricey could do it, seriously. People think Denis ran the show, but Pricey did.”

The celebrations that night weren’t as raucous as the ones that greeted the team when they won their first title, in 1981. This would be their fourth premiership in six years and there was nothing to suggest the good times would end.

“I often think that Parramatta fans were getting blasé about it all,” Kenny says.

The good times ended, rather abruptly in fact. Every “next Sterlo” has never been as good as the original, Emperor Fitzgerald’s empire crumbled and the ensuing decades have been marred by factionalism and underperformance.

Only now, under Brad Arthur and an administration that has its affairs in order, do the Eels get the chance to resign the past to the past.

“I always felt sorry they have had to carry a burden or millstone around their neck,” Sterling says. “It’s not self-imposed; it’s something that comes with the beast.

“As Ray Price so eloquently puts it, the only way to get rid of it is to win it.”

The players of the 1980s still catch up often. Those involved in winning grand finals are part of “The 30 club”, signifying the small number of men to do so. On Sunday, there is a chance for 17 additional members to be inducted. History can be made if they aren’t burdened by it.

“They have taken a good approach to it,” Monie says. “What’s happened in the past isn’t going to help them win this year.”

Even the man in the opposition coach’s box on that storied day in 1986, then-Bulldogs mentor Warren Ryan, wants to see the blue and golds back on top.

“I’m actually hoping that Parramatta will win,” Ryan says. “You have to acknowledge that as an easing of the tensions.”

Johnny88

Juniors

‘I wish mum and dad were still here to see it’: The Arthurs’ 75 years of Eels devotion

By Michael Chammas

OCTOBER 1, 2022

There would be very few of the 5266 fans who watched Parramatta’s first game of rugby league at Cumberland Oval in 1947 that remain on this planet.

Brad Arthur’s father, Ted, is one of them. The Arthur bloodline at Parramatta runs through five generations.

Ted’s grandfather Linday was there on that first day, carrying his four-month old grandson through the gates. Ted’s mother, Joy, too.

Brad Arthur with his grandmother Joy, sister Kelly and father Ted (left) and wearing his Eels gear as a child (inserts).

She would go on to become the secretary of the Parramatta supporters club, which would grow significantly by the time the club won its first premiership in 1981.

Sadly, Ted’s father passed away a year before that historic day. His son, having watched the drought-breaking triumph inside the club’s Leagues Club, celebrated in his father’s honour out the back of Cumberland Oval as flames engulfed the stand.

“Everyone just started yelling ‘fire! There’s a fire outside!’” Ted recalled.

“We walked out the back and the grandstand was on fire. We all went over with a beer and stood around and watched it burn to the ground.”

Sitting inside his Blackheath home a few days out from the biggest day of his son’s life, Ted chokes back tears reflecting on the joy his son has given him.

From the two-year-old kid in his Parramatta jersey, who could kick a 50c plastic football onto the roof of their Quakers Hill home, to the now leader of the football club that the family has devoted its life to for three quarters of a century.

“I’m proud of everything he’s done,” Ted says.

“I’m proud that he’s done it for the fans. He’s done it for Parramatta. It’s not just about him and his players and staff. He wants Parramatta to get it.”

Toughness and resilience; two words often spoken about the man some Parramatta fans continue to refer to as “just a bush footy coach”.

When he arrived at Batemans Bay as captain-coach at the age of 22 in 1997, on the recommendation of his Panthers reserve grade coach Royce Simmons, Brad tore his ACL.

“Can I do any more damage?” Ted recalled his son asking the doctor. “No, but it’s completely stuffed, so you’ll have to get it fixed,” the doctor replied.

Brad Arthur (circled) in Parramatta’s 1991 SG Ball-winning side.

The next week, and for several others until the season ended, Brad strapped up his knee and took the field without an ACL.

Very little fazes him. Not even the Yarrabah locals who, during Brad’s eight seasons as captain-coach of Cairns, would often throw beer bottles at him from the bush and yell out “Parramatta reject” in his direction.

Six grand finals in eight years, including four premierships, later shut them up. It’s from there Brad’s reputation began to spread across the game.

Clint Zammit, who is now the recruitment manager of the Knights, put a phone call in to Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy to let him know about the horticulturist doubling as a footy coach in northern Queensland.

Brad Arthur during his playing days at the Eels alongside teammates Paul Coinakis and Gavin Cleverley.

By that stage Brad had met and married his wife Michelle, a Western Australian backpacking through the sunshine state who had never even heard of rugby league, let alone known who was running the local footy team.

The couple had already welcomed two children – Jakob and Matthew – into the world when Michelle entered the hospital to give birth to the couple’s third child, daughter Charlotte, in 2006.

Then the phone rang. It was Bellamy. “I was literally in the middle of giving birth to our third child,” Michelle recalled.

“We came out of the labour ward and there was a message on his phone that said ‘you have the job, you need to be here in six weeks’. People had often said to him ‘as if you’re going to be an NRL coach’.

“In his head, he was always going to be. He’s always been good at not being affected by other people’s opinions. Even when he got the job at Melbourne, my family would say to me: ‘Oh yeah but they’re not going to actually let him near the real players, right?’”

In 2012 Brad returned home to Parramatta as an assistant to Stephen Kearney, who was later sacked after winning just 10 of 42 games in charge.

The Eels needed a caretaker coach for the final six weeks of the 2012 season. “I still remember it,” his mother Lyn, who now lives in Hervey Bay, recalled.

Brad and Michelle Arthur with their three children (Jake, Charlotte and Matt).

“He was driving me to Parramatta station early one morning and he asked me if he should go for it. I still remember Royce Simmons telling him that he wasn’t going to make it as a player at Penrith, but he was going to make a great coach one day. I said: ‘Brad, you go for this job. You can do it’. And that’s how it all began.”

A lot has been spoken of the drama surrounding Brad’s full-time appointment as Ricky Stuart’s successor over Jason Taylor in 2014, and how Jarryd Hayne and Tim Mannah’s late plea to the board resulted in the bush coach earning the top job.

“Yeah, but this isn’t just a job,” his father says. “Brad doesn’t want to be anywhere else. He wants to be a Parramatta coach more than an NRL coach.”

Things weren’t easy to begin with. The results barely improved, with the Eels missing the finals in his first three seasons.

The third was marred by the salary cap scandal that rocked the club, denying the team of a finals berth they would have earned had they not been stripped of 12 points by the NRL for a series of breaches by head office.

“I’ve just learnt now, they don’t matter. My family matters.”

Ted speaks with great passion when it comes to Jake. He and his partner Carrol shed tears in the grandstand of CommBank Stadium a fortnight ago as they watched the Eels fans stand and applaud their grandson as he walked around the field after the win.

After Jake’s debut at Magic Round in Brisbane last year, his friends decided to get the number 815 tattooed on their arms to celebrate his place in Parramatta’s history.

“By the time they got to the tattoo parlour, they were that drunk they wouldn’t touch them,” Ted recalled.

Two weeks later, after Charlotte’s netball game, the family posed a for a photo together. Ted rolled up his sleeve flexing his muscles.

His grandkids were bemused, until Jake noticed the symbol of his grandfather’s pride in his accomplishments etched on his arm. #815.

Ted Arthur with his custom-made Eels polo and a tattoo he inked to celebrate Jake Arthur’s debut as Parramatta player 815

It’s been 27,567 days since a four-month-old Ted Arthur was brought into the Parramatta family.

If you see him with a McDonald’s strawberry thick-shake on the way home from the grand final on Sunday night, it will mean his son and grandson have helped end the drought. Or, in his words, Parramatta will finally matter again.

“Parramatta has been gone a long time,” Ted said.

“But they’re back now. If they win, the Arthur name will be firmly entrenched in the history of Parramatta. I wish my mum and dad were still here to see it.”

1664606151362.png

1664606198480.png
1664606270513.png

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
that's the first time the "Ladies who leg spin" have ever referred to it as the NRL, they always refer to the NRL as the NRLM and the ladies as NRLW