What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So it’s a Bea tactic to have more ball than the opposition??? He’s a f**king genius!!
Reducing risk and controlling the ball is definitely a tactic. Whether you achieve the desired outcome of having more ball than the opposition comes down to execution (including suitability to the roster) and also what the opposition are doing.

We have had 53% of the ball this year. Other teams have averaged various possession rates. Here's how our opponents have faired vs the competition and against us specifically:

OpponentPossession rate vs all opponentsPossession rate vs ParramattaDifferenceResult
Panthers54%46%-8%Win
Cowboys53%49%-4%Loss
Sharks52%46%-6%Loss
Storm51%52%+1%Win
Tigers50%48%-2%Loss
Roosters50%48%-2%Loss
Dragons49%45%-4%Win
Titans49%46% (over two games)-3%Win (twice)
Seagulls48%47%-1%Win
Knights48%41%-7%Win

I'll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions, but as you can see, there are a few correlations that come out of this, as well as a significant outlier. The result column would be more meaningful if it was more granular than just win/loss, but also, the result vs average result would also provide more insight. I just couldn't be bothered.

84 Baby

Referee
No - the real question is: what is the colour of foot?

Seriously, though - why post it in such a dismissive manner?
Honestly because like 99% of NRL and in particular Eels media it’s an easily dismissed self fulfilling prophesying, Gould style bullshit article.
Yeah we lose a lot of games where we’re down at 20 minute mark, I can’t be f**ked looking but I’m pretty sure all teams will have poor records when losing. And definitely there are teams with worse records.
It’s only a surface level stat. If it isn’t investigated further, it’ll only provide the surface level assumptions that we lack composure to fight back from there or even more simply, we just need to be winning at 20 minute mark

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Honestly because like 99% of NRL and in particular Eels media it’s an easily dismissed self fulfilling prophesying, Gould style bullshit article.
Yeah we lose a lot of games where we’re down at 20 minute mark, I can’t be f**ked looking but I’m pretty sure all teams will have poor records when losing. And definitely there are teams with worse records.
It’s only a surface level stat. If it isn’t investigated further, it’ll only provide the surface level assumptions that we lack composure to fight back from there or even more simply, we just need to be winning at 20 minute mark
Yep. If you're not good enough to be winning at the 60 minute mark why would you magically be good enough to be winning at fulltime?

Eelementary

Post Whore

Fair point.

Gronk

Staff member
To satisfy my thirst for Eels content, I started listening to Troy Warner's pod the Parra Cave. Not gunna lie, it's very amateurish but he seems to get access to many from the Eels past. Anywho, I started with his interview with Fitzy.

Politics aside and the fact that he's a rambling gibberer at age 75, it was interesting from my perspective. His little anecdotes around the late 70s and 80s when i was a little kid was interesting.

Question for other merkins who stood in front of the old wooden grandstand getting autographs like me..

Who was the eels game day official who had an artificial arm ? I remember him from the Gibson years probably because it used to give me the creeps a bit.

images.jpeg

Latest posts