What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

JokerEel

Coach
Listen, wake the F up.

Do you think that we signed Brown for unders because we gave him perpetual PO's? From all reports he is on a very decent wicket.

Sure a desperate club may have offered him a hundred grand more or so, but do you really think that he would have speared off and gone to say the Tigers? Quality clubs would not have paid him more than what we have I can assure you. Which would be upwards of $800K.

He was given multiple PO's because we have weak and ineffective people in charge of R&R that have no idea how to set the club up for long term success. Period!

The proof is in the pudding and that's why we are in the predicament we are in right now and the laughing stock of the league and have been for a very long time even when we are a team that has a capable roster too. No one including opposition players feel or think we can go on with it and win the title for varying reasons and it all starts at the top.

In the end the club did the right thing ffs .

If we didn't offer both Moses or Brown a PO we may have been able to hold onto a few juniors who play in the halves as they may have had a path to first grade .

But as soon as we gave both Moses and Brown options for another 5 years those kids jumped ship and the funny part is we could lose both Moses and Brown if they don't take up their option as well as Sanders and Blaize...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The only reason all these opinions are appearing from Gallen, Hooper and co, is eels sells media....while other clubs like broncos and raiders get a free ride....gee look at the raiders, they have done nothing for the last 4 years...gone 10th, 8th, 8th and coming 12th now and will miss the finals this year......horrible...

keeping on saying, while yeah we need to fix a few things, we aren't traveling anywhere as bad as what the media is reporting......our form has been half decent considering who we have had out...

and there are reasons some of most the promising rookie coaches wanted the eels gig....the roster is ok, we have some promising juniors coming through, and cap is in ok shape (as opposed to what the media is reporting).

we have Moses, Hopgood, lomax, Paulo, matterson, longi, Simonson and guymer to be added to side that played against the Roosters...I am certain those 8 players would have made a massive difference....along with Ryles and co...

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gallen is a drug cheat and a grub.

He isn't the first person to call out the club for this so i don't think anyone on here is calling him a genius.

He is always happy to kick the club while were down.

We have more PO's in our squad atm then actual wins for the season let that sink in.

7 - PO's
5 - Wins
But the POs aren’t for this year, so they’re not a factor

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If we didn't offer both Moses or Brown a PO we may have been able to hold onto a few juniors who play in the halves as they may have had a path to first grade .

for how long ? Next year ?

I doubt Sanders and/or Talagi would have waited another 2 years to get an NRL gig and it would have been too early to pension off Moses and/or Dylbro anyway

I'm not a fan of POs but in this case, I don't think it would have prevented either of those 2 from leaving to play in the halves elsewhere and neither is good enough to force their way in and push our current 2 halves into playing Cup

King-Gutho94

Coach
The only reason all these opinions are appearing from Gallen, Hooper and co, is eels sells media....while other clubs like broncos and raiders get a free ride....gee look at the raiders, they have done nothing for the last 4 years...gone 10th, 8th, 8th and coming 12th now and will miss the finals this year......horrible...

keeping on saying, while yeah we need to fix a few things, we aren't traveling anywhere as bad as what the media is reporting......our form has been half decent considering who we have had out...

and there are reasons some of most the promising rookie coaches wanted the eels gig....the roster is ok, we have some promising juniors coming through, and cap is in ok shape (as opposed to what the media is reporting).

we have Moses, Hopgood, lomax, Paulo, matterson, longi, Simonson and guymer to be added to side that played against the Roosters...I am certain those 8 players would have made a massive difference....along with Ryles and co...
Adam Reynolds may disagree the Broncos have been given a fair ride this year.

Gorden Tallis was laying into him a few weeks ago.

The Broncos have been copping heat and justifiably so.

I reckon if we beat them this Friday and knock them out for good.

Kevvie is going to have more pressure ramped up his arse come next week.

Pazza

First Grade
He was given multiple PO's because we have weak and ineffective people in charge of R&R that have no idea how to set the club up for long term success. Period!

Coincidence the glut of POs came after mahoney, niukore, papalii, kalfusi, stone etc all left the club?? I doubt it

Delboy

First Grade
Right so it seems you (and no one else) actually don't have a serious answer to why we (and Melbourne) offered PO's to key players.
Putting the Storm R&R in the same sentence as the Parramatta R&R is a massive stretch. One club has people like Matt Tripp and Ponnisi involved who are shrewd operators with a very good track record, the other is the Eels.

Guess they understand The attraction of the Storm and are comfortable with a) remaining attractive and b) being out of the Sydney media spotlight is a plus.

player options basically give the upside to the player, as they extend if they are playing terrible and go to the market or demand increase if play8ng well. Doesn’t seem to be in the best interests of clubs performing poorly, and with a mediocre R&R team.

EelEtric

Juniors
Putting the Storm R&R in the same sentence as the Parramatta R&R is a massive stretch. One club has people like Matt Tripp and Ponnisi involved who are shrewd operators with a very good track record, the other is the Eels.

Guess they understand The attraction of the Storm and are comfortable with a) remaining attractive and b) being out of the Sydney media spotlight is a plus.

player options basically give the upside to the player, as they extend if they are playing terrible and go to the market or demand increase if play8ng well. Doesn’t seem to be in the best interests of clubs performing poorly, and with a mediocre R&R team.
With all due respect Delboy, all you really managed to do was judge the Eels R&R team against the Storms.
So without finding a way to degenerate the Eels R&R and your fav. MON, what are your thoughts on why the Storm gave Harry Grant a PO?

King-Gutho94

Coach
With all due respect Delboy, all you really managed to do was judge the Eels R&R team against the Storms.
So without finding a way to degenerate the Eels R&R and your fav. MON, what are your thoughts on why the Storm gave Harry Grant a PO?
Hooker Harry Grant has extended his contract with Melbourne Storm until 2025, cementing a strong spine to remain with the Club.

Melbourne never said he was signed for 2026.

They said up to 2025 only.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think that Harry Grant Press release on re-signing with Melbourne shows the gap between the 2 clubs.

Storm never guaranteed to there members & fans he was signed for 2026 only end of 2025.

The NRL have said he has a PO for 2026.

The PO must have been an extra on top.

And i reckon Melbourne would have a earlier cut off date when Harry can trigger that clause.

While when we announce every Tom, Dick & Harry has been re-signed for 4-5 years only to find out later they have options coming out of there arses in years 2 & 3 of there contract and they have until Round 12 to decide if they want to do it or not.

EelEtric

Juniors
Hooker Harry Grant has extended his contract with Melbourne Storm until 2025, cementing a strong spine to remain with the Club.

Melbourne never said he was signed for 2026.

They said up to 2025 only.
But NRL site has him with PO for 2026.

So in reality, the only difference between his extension and Moses extension is the press release for Moses mentions the PO and the Storms doesnt.

EelEtric

Juniors
I think that Harry Grant Press release on re-signing with Melbourne shows the gap between the 2 clubs.

Storm never guaranteed to there members & fans he was signed for 2026 only end of 2025.

And i reckon Melbourne would have a earlier cut off date when Harry can trigger that clause.

While when we announce every Tom, Dick & Harry has been re-signed for 4-5 years only to find out later they have options coming out of there arses in years 2 & 3 of there contract and they have until Round 12 to decide if they want to do it or not.
But NRL site has him with PO for 2026.

So in reality, the only difference between his extension and Moses extension is the press release for Moses mentions the PO and the Storms doesnt.
FFS

EelEtric

Juniors

I still don't know why they gave him one, whether they announced it or not.
Can you shed any light on why they would have?

King-Gutho94

Coach
I still don't know why they gave him one, whether they announced it or not.
Can you shed any light on why they would have?

Well i have no idea - Melbourne never communicated with its members that Harry was ever locked in for 2026 or even had an option.

It was signed in 2022 it may well be a KPI/PO clause on certain amount of games/origins he has played to trigger it in his favour for a upgrade in 2026.

So in Melbourne's case they might aware if Harry is on track on trigger it or not.

No one has ever mentioned or asked Harry about it as far as i am aware.

Has he ever been quoted on it.

EelEtric

Juniors
Well i have no idea - Melbourne never communicated with its members that Harry was ever locked in for 2026 or even had an option.

It was signed in 2022 it may well be a KPI/PO clause on certain amount of games/origins he has played to trigger it in his favour for a upgrade in 2026.

So in Melbourne's case they might aware if Harry is on track on trigger it or not.

No one has ever mentioned or asked Harry about it as far as i am aware.

Has he ever been quoted on it.
No quotes from him that I could find, or from Melbourne. A bit like no quotes from Eels except that it exists but no reason as to why. I don't think Moses has ever been quoted explaining his either (at least not that I could find).

I just wonder why a top performing club would see the need to do give a player like Grant the ability to walk out on his contract early.

Delboy

First Grade
Looks like the Storm are confident that their success will continue and the appetite of players to remain in the Melbourne system is intact. Like most there has been no mention of the PO anywhere really, would think that if there is a PO it’s more a strategic decision, given Harry Grant couldn’t wait to return to Melbourne from Sydney even though Cam Smith was there for a further year. In essence there doesn’t seem to be a major reason why there would put one in the contract, even then they seem to be a very smart operation so it may contain a clause or 2 in the their favour.