What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

stiffmeister

Bench
eelavation said:
Look i can deal with throwing JT the gig for a couple of seasons however if your want a combo completely out of left field how about a Pay/Dymock combonation?

yes, yes & yes. This combo has been in the back of my mind. Definitely worth a look at. Dymock & Pay have tasted a bit of the roosters culture (dont know if thats a good thing though) but they do have potential & they have played at our club.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Colonel said:
I don't doubt that at all. Main reason I'd lean towards Shane Flanagan as well - Gould is a big fan of his.

I'd be happy to see Flannagan give it a go

If we use JT or some one who has worked under Smithy, I dont think much will change

we need someone new and experienced and Flannigan fits the bill

PIG

Juniors
Smith has put in a great structure at the club...but as has been proven, he can't seem to take that next step. 9 years at one club for one grand final appearance and 0 wins is unheard of.

In his time however we have gone from always missing the finals to being a regular finals contender, with great juniors and a very professional culture.

So theres no doubt Brian is contributing to us being a successful club, but it seems as though he won't be head coach in 2007.

So the question is what do you go for?

Do you promote one of the assistants like Sharpy or the untried Jason Taylor- who already know Smiths structure and might be able to have more luck in the big end of season games?

Do you go for an untried coach from outside the club like a Dean Pay?

Do you bring in a proven coach like a Daniel Anderson who will also have some idea of Smiths structure.

Do you give an assistant like Royce Simmons a go?

It's a pretty tough one to answer.

Also do you offer Brian a role like a coaches co-ordinator role? I have no doubt if he was to move to another club he'd be a very successful coach and is proven in building clubs from the ground up.

Personally I have no idea what we should do. My initial thoughts would be to give a guy like Dean Pay a crack. IMHO he'd be a great success if he wanted the job. I reckon it's no coincidence the Roosters have taken a slide since he left.

My next thought would be to give Sharpy a crack...he seems switched on and ha learnt alot through past jobs...but on the downside he stunk it up at the Nothern Eagles.

Following that I guess JT should progress into the role.

I reckon we should part ways with Brian Smith at the end of his contract. After 10 years as head coach it'd be hard/impossible to segregate your duties as a coaching director.

Tough decisions need to be made though and i'm glad I aint the one making them.

Stagger eel

Staff member
El Diablo said:
How many lower grade GF's have we won and lost since Smith has been at the helm?

seniors???...1 reserve grade title in 1999..correct me if I'm wrong.

forward pass

Coach
Gus loves what he is doing currently - same reason Sterlo will never coach us. They would be taking a drop in pay to go back to coaching.

Kornstar

Coach
I am positive that it is just the 1, although i think we may have won a Harold Matthews a few years ago too against the Saints.

Parra Guru

Coach
forward pass said:
Gus loves what he is doing currently - same reason Sterlo will never coach us. They would be taking a drop in pay to go back to coaching.

I don't think Gould would worry about the money.

He is the most passionate about the game and the good of it out of all the commentary team. He loves seeing teams play good footy, and if he could be part of it, he would! I reckon he'd seriously consider it!

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
1. Head coach gets complete control over player recruitment
2. One of the riches clubs in the NRL
3. Passionate supporters
4. Rich History
5. Great Infrastructure
6. Best Youth development system
7. Great Roster

What more can another coach ask for, the day parra open markets for a new coach is the day the club will Receive 1000 job applications!
Gould will be crazy not to think about it!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Prodigal Eel said:
1. Head coach gets complete control over player recruitment
2. One of the riches clubs in the NRL
3. Passionate supporters
4. Rich History
5. Great Infrastructure
6. Best Youth development system
7. Great Roster

What more can another coach ask for, the day parra open markets for a new coach is the day the club will Receive 1000 job applications!
Gould will be crazy not to think about it!

1 thing that will stop Gould is Fitzy! they don't like each other.