What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

The_Coach

Juniors
It's a tough decision because if we go for a clean slate with a brand new coach and staff we may lose players because of it.

If JT becomes coach in 2007 we have a much higher chance of retaining Timmy, Benny, Reddy, Delaney and the other players which have come through with JT.

It seems to me Timmy looks to JT as a bit of a mentor. If we show JT the door Timmy may just walk out after him.

Kornstar

Coach
It would be awesome for him to be a commentator, there is no doubt that he is intelligent and has a great football brain. Maybe a complete swap for Sterlo? just kidding, i would love to see Sterlo as coach but i know it will never happen.

The Colonel

Immortal
The_Coach said:
It's a tough decision because if we go for a clean slate with a brand new coach and staff we may lose players because of it.

If JT becomes coach in 2007 we have a much higher chance of retaining Timmy, Benny, Reddy, Delaney and the other players which have come through with JT.

It seems to me Timmy looks to JT as a bit of a mentor. If we show JT the door Timmy may just walk out after him.

I'm sure the senior and core members of the club would be consulted on who the club wanted to succeed Brian as head coach. They would be unlikely to put someone in the club who wouldn't work well with the existing players. However any new coach is bound to make changes to the playing roster regardless....

Eelectrica

Referee
The_Coach said:

Losing players is inevitable under the cap and players seeking to look elsewhere for better opportunities. The new coach is going to want to bring players suited to his coaching style and schemes. As long as he keeps the right players and the results bear that out, I've got no problem with that.

Suitman

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
Losing players is inevitable under the cap and players seeking to look elsewhere for better opportunities. The new coach is going to want to bring players suited to his coaching style and schemes. As long as he keeps the right players and the results bear that out, I've got no problem with that.

Exactly.

Suity

yy_cheng

Coach
I think Brian would still want to win a premiership. If he doesn't get one next year at the eels, he will definitely look around for another team.

forward pass

Coach
The Colonel said:
Actually just on this, RLW's The Mole mentions a current NRL coach is interested in going into commentary in 2007 but they won't mention names. Given Brian's past performances as a commentator I have a strong inkling that it could be him. I think he would be a breath of fresh air as a commentator....

Yeah - I read that but didn't make the connection. You could be on the money.

True EEL

Bench
but then we would have to hear about one team asking more questions of the other team and one team not being able to answer all of those questions.....all the time

lol....sorry i just couldn't resist

The Colonel

Immortal
Analysis: Eels will appoint new coach
Posted by Phil Sim on 27/09/2005 09:37:56 PM | 5 Comments
The vocal division of the Parramatta supporter base that continues to lobby against Parramatta coach Brian Smith has almost certainly won the day, following Denis Fitzgerald’s declaration that the Parramatta club would appoint a coach for the 2007 season before the start of next year.

It would seem implausible that Parramatta will re-appoint Smith for a further term on the back of Parramatta’s embarrassing 29 to nil loss to the Cowboys. Had the Parramatta club been prepared to wait and see if Smith could deliver a Premiership in 2006, the Eel’s head coach might have stood a chance of survival. Even an indication that Parramatta was prepared to see how the early stages of next season played out, might have suggested some kind of board level support for Smith.

However, in the wake of the supporter backlash following the Cowboys loss, Fitzgerald’s comments can only be interpreted as an admission that Parramatta cannot afford another year of constant speculation about its coach’s future and the subsequent de-stabilising effect that comes with such uncertainty.

Smith took the 2005 Parramatta Eels to a minor premiership and a preliminary final, with a team most believed would struggle to make the eight. If after a season of over-achieving, the knives still come out for him, Fitzgerald will know he can not risk the kind of revolt among the fans that is assured if the Eels do not live up to, what will be high expectations, in future years.

It seems assured, then, that a new coach will be appointed early next year for 2007 and Smith will be given one last chance to win a Premiership with the club he has re-built from the shambles it was in during most of the nineties.

One can only hope that this move will finally heal the deep division between those Parramatta fans who support Smith and those who don’t. One only needs to read the comments on this website or any other Eel’s Forums to see that the Blue and Gold army have wasted far too much time and energy, bickering over whether Smith should stay or go.

Assuming a new coach is appointed for 2007 then this is a call for all Parramatta fans to unite behind Smith in 2006 and then the new coach the following year.

Whatever your opinion of Smith, the simple fact is, he has turned Parramatta into arguably the most professional club in Sydney. It’s junior programs and recruitment processes are unrivalled. He brought through the club champion players like Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless and future heroes like Tim and Ben Smith. He picked himself up after a couple of seasons in the wilderness, recruited a wonderful array of talent and put the Eels back on track in the NRL while cruising home with the club championship. Two Parramatta teams will contest Grand Finals this weekend.

He will leave his job as head coach of Parramatta in immeasurably better shape than when he started the gig.

As such he deserves to see out his contract with Parramatta – and that will happen – with the support of the entire Parramatta fan base. Smith said at the start of the year that 2006 would be the Eel’s best shot at grand final glory. Give him the chance to fulfil that prophecy without needing to defend his position after every loss.

Certainly one would hope that the players who let him down so badly this year, will do whatever it takes to send off the coach, who they have so often stood by, in glory. It would seem their own desire for a Premiership wasn’t enough to push their game to a higher level, maybe they’ll find something more for their departing coach.

http://www.prwire.com.au/tippo.nsf/artwebfro/B10C191FCD7D3AAB4A257089003FE234?editdocument

I think filthy_spammers best sums up the whole deal.....

True EEL

Bench
not quite.....

it was a good summary and he makes some good points, but....

with the player talent we maintained and acquaried last off-season, i never saw us as anything less than top 4 to top 8 calibre - so this season was not an over-achievement

saying that 2006 "will be our best shot at the title" simply gives you an escape clause, we just lost our best shot at a Premiership since 1986 - no question - and 2001 included, because i will reluctantly admit our players may not have been ready then

we had to come up with the goods this season, after the year we had, the setbacks the team overcame and the form we displayed - particularly through adversity

i thought the reversal during the St. George game late in the year was it - i truely thought after what the players and BS's coaching showed in that game that we had developed the correct mental approach to football

this was our best shot - players and coaches can only deal with so many mental scars - how must Nathan Cayless, Nathan Hindmarsh, Micheal Vella, Daniel Wagon and Luke Burt be feeling now.....they have been through this too many times

this was our best shot - don't forget that even though we had our share of injuries - we had a very very very good run with them, which also contributed to our success on the field this year, particularly compared with the two pervious years

this was our best chance..........

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
saying that 2006 "will be our best shot at the title" simply gives you an escape clause, we just lost our best shot at a Premiership since 1986 - no question - and 2001 included, because i will reluctantly admit our players may not have been ready then

He made that comment at the start of the year. Given the circumstances so did many of us on here.

this was our best chance..........

Maybe so. Can I borrow your crystal ball for the lotto numbers? ;-)

True EEL

Bench
The Colonel said:
He made that comment at the start of the year. Given the circumstances so did many of us on here.

Maybe so. Can I borrow your crystal ball for the lotto numbers? ;-)

the 2006 reference still seems like an escape route

i said this was our best chance based on what happened through the year, Parra needed to live in the moment and realise the enormity of the opportunity presented to them this year

i thought they may have realised that in the past few weeks (after the St. George game) and doen something with it.....BS especially

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
Only problem with JT is for 10 years, he´s played in teams that make finals but don´t go on to win them. We criticise Brian Smith for being unable to progress beyond making the finals, what makes you think JT can go one better as coach..............

This dosent affect...prime example, Swans won the flag this year under Roos and Kelly, both of whom never won a flag playing the game!

Suitman said:
He was the best, most fascinating, deep thinking commentator there has been. Warren Ryan is pretty good as well.

I wish we could have Peter Wilkins, Warren Ryan and Brian Smith back on the ABC.

Suity

Just have to get Wilko out of the TAB first.:lol:

(MAD punter)

The Colonel

Immortal
True EEL said:
the 2006 reference still seems like an escape route

i said this was our best chance based on what happened through the year, Parra needed to live in the moment and realise the enormity of the opportunity presented to them this year

i thought they may have realised that in the past few weeks (after the St. George game) and doen something with it.....BS especially

Sometimes the enormity of the situation can be overwhelming and the fact that they were presented with, what many believe, was a perfect opportunity had them looking at October 1st rather than September 25th.

Personally, I think the Eels can thrive better when their backs against the wall better than when the perfect opportunity is presented...... and that just doesn't apply to Brian Smith's reign either......

You can look back at a lot of opportunities that were presented in the past and when they should have, they didn't. When they weren't supposed to, they did.