What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

Bigfella

Coach
A couple of things stand out for me from these last few pages:

1. Several articles have presumed that Fitzgerald has stated that a new coach will automatically be appointed. His statement says no such thing. There is a considerable degree of assumption involved.

2. There is widespread agreement that Smith should make way beacause his record suggests he can't win a comp. That is one thing. However this thread is full of people wanting to appoint people who have NEVER COACHED at the highest level, yet alone WON A COMP.

Before we rush into changing anything we would want to have a better alternative lined up. There are not that many quality coaches around. (In fact there are at any time only about 6 or 7 who are better than just filling a position IMO). We would be insane to completely lose Smith and I would hope he stays on in a consultative and recruiting aspect. His ability to spot bargain buys is one of his greatest strengths - even though it is often used against him when those players start to command significantly greater sums and can't be retained.

If Parra cut ties Souths should throw the kitchen sink at Smith.

Smartman

Juniors
Daniel Anderson --> Parramatta

Brian Smith -------> Roosters

Ricky Stuart ------> Canterbury

Steve Folkes retiring

Just a rumor floating around.

The Colonel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
2. There is widespread agreement that Smith should make way beacause his record suggests he can't win a comp. That is one thing. However this thread is full of people wanting to appoint people who have NEVER COACHED at the highest level, yet alone WON A COMP.

Just because they aren't coaching at the top level doesn't mean they can't coach. Bellamy has done well with Melbourne, Brown likewise with the Dragons. The Gold Coast are going to gamble with John Cartwright and the Warriors are looking towards Cleary and Campion to pull them out of a hole.

Just because they have coached at the top level doesn't necessarily make them the better option.

The_Coach

Juniors
Lets just make a deal.

Which ever coach wins the Premier League Grand Final on Sunday we should hire.

Taylor or Flanagan.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Just because they aren't coaching at the top level doesn't mean they can't coach. Bellamy has done well with Melbourne, Brown likewise with the Dragons. The Gold Coast are going to gamble with John Cartwright and the Warriors are looking towards Cleary and Campion to pull them out of a hole.

Just because they have coached at the top level doesn't necessarily make them the better option.

Ricky Stuart and Michael Hagan are other good examples.

Suity

I want Brian Smith to stay on and control the operational side of things. Talent ID Juniors etc. He has put in the best structure of any NRL club.

stiffmeister

Bench
Smartman said:
Daniel Anderson --> Parramatta

Brian Smith -------> Roosters

Ricky Stuart ------> Canterbury

Steve Folkes retiring

Just a rumor floating around.

That is the most stupid rumour I have ever heard

Why would we need a Smith Clone who like Smith himself hasn't won a premiership.

Parraletic

Juniors
I was very happy when we got Smith as coach in '97, but by the time 2003 had come & gone I was sick of him as coach & am to this day but I can only blame him to an extent for what happened on Sunday. My personal view is they'll keep him on as a director of Football after his contract is finished & get JT as coach but I have said for a number of year I think we should have got Graeme Murray as coach when the Roosters screwed him round & look what his done with the Cowboys!

fish eel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
What would we all have been saying about Graham Murray if we had lost to Tigers 50-6 in a semi final?

would we have cared about that loss if we were playing in a grand final three weeks later?

Avenger

Immortal
I have a strange feeling that the result on Sunday in the Premier League GF will have a significant influence on who will be our coach post 2006.

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
I have a strange feeling that the result on Sunday in the Premier League GF will have a significant influence on who will be our coach post 2006.

Flanagan has always had a high standing with people at the Eels and the players, as does JT...... Could be very interesting.

Avenger

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Flanagan has always had a high standing with people at the Eels and the players, as does JT...... Could be very interesting.

Colonel, do you have the same feeling? Flanagan surely must be on the short list. He is ready and Sticky is going nowhere.

Could be interesting to see who is the new coach and who is the assistant. We have JT, either way, could we also get Flanagan and have both of them on the Payroll next year.

The Colonel

Immortal
Avenger said:
Colonel, do you have the same feeling? Flanagan surely must be on the short list. He is ready and Sticky is going nowhere.

I have always been a Flanagan supporter, even when he was at the club. I could understand why he left after Smith had signed another deal and he was touted as being given the job at Souths. I can honestly see it happening. For mine JT may have to cool his heels at least another year.

Latest posts