What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

yy_cheng

Coach
Bouncing Benny is off contract too right?

With the plethora of talented centres coming through, Benny may just be our lock in 2 years time. He could really play the SBW or even a FFMM role in terms of hitting hard and running hard for a 15-20 min period.

The Colonel

Immortal
yy_cheng said:
Bouncing Benny is off contract too right?

With the plethora of talented centres coming through, Benny may just be our lock in 2 years time. He could really play the SBW or even a FFMM role in terms of hitting hard and running hard for a 15-20 min period.

Don't see any need for him to go to the backrow yet. He is still plenty fast enough. Mateo or Delaney would be the more likely candidates for lock. Benny will be re-signed with any luck on the back of his performances this year well before June 30.

The Colonel

Immortal
shiftysmith said:
widders would be a big big lose

Same could be said for a number of the kids in our lower grades as well. They won't let Widders go unless he really wants to go.

Kornstar

Coach
I believe Widders is very happy at our club, he knows that he would be used off the bench no matter where he goes. Unfortunately for Widders, when he has started he has absolutely no impact.........which is a shame cause he may always be that strike weapon off the bench no matter where he would go....

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure about letting Wags go

sure we have depth, but its in our backs, Reddy, Williams and Delaney etc

not so in the forwards, sure we have good young forwards, but they dont stand out like our young backs do, so we may need to retain some forwards for depth

The Colonel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
Not so in the forwards, sure we have good young forwards, but they dont stand out like our young backs do, so we may need to retain some forwards for depth

The depth is there. The backs just tend to mature a little faster than the forwards. Watch for a couple of players to be given a few more chances through the year like Cordoba, Taia, Hauraki and MacGougan. Also Backo and Oake both of whom will be back from injury next year as well.

Kornstar

Coach
The reason our young forwards don't stand out is because they haven't had to play this year in First Grade. We brought up Perenara and O'Dwyer but they are not the young kids that we all talk about on here, we don't know if the likes of Cordoba, Taia, Hauraki, Wynn, Backo or MacGoughan are going to stand up in the future, maybe they will get their cahnce before June 30 next year (not all but one or 2 new faces) so they can make an informed decision.

The Colonel

Immortal
Daize said:
I still think Googs is a centres more than a back rower.

He'll eventually make it there though - a better option for mine than Benny. Some of his better PL games have been in the back row.....

Kornstar

Coach
David Williams is another one they have had in the backrow for the last few weeks and they tried it earlier in the year too, i still think he should be in the centres at the moment, he plays alot like Delaney does.......

yy_cheng

Coach
Wagon, Morro, Peek, Caylo, Stringer are all getting on a bit.

We need the young'uns to get a run next year to prepare them for the following year. Although Caylo, Morro and Wags would probably still play on.

The Colonel

Immortal
Stringer is the oldest in the cloub at 29. I think the average age of the first grade squad was 24 or 25. There will be a few changes but not many straight away. Cayless is 27 - his best years at prop are ahead of him.

Kornstar

Coach
I wonder if Cayless has thought about offloading the captaincy to concentrate on his own game? I know he loves it but i just wonder how much better he could be if he didn't have that on his shoulders too, he took it over at a fairly young age.....

Not to say that i want him out of the captaincy, i just am saying it as more of a personal thing for Caylo, i am sure it has crossed his mind.

I reckon Tahu would make a good captain. He is a winner. He was doing all the talking during the Cowboys game while Cayless was coughing on something and eventually choking.

Latest posts