What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Ryles

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.7%

• Total voters

chiefy1

Bench
Whoever we sign, it should be for two seasons and maybe a third in the club's favour, so if there failure, Flanagan's comes off contract at the same time.

Hannay wouldn't say no to two years. It's not like he's in demand as a rookie assistant.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Whoever we sign, it should be for two seasons and maybe a third in the club's favour, so if there failure, Flanagan's comes off contract at the same time.

Hannay wouldn't say no to two years. It's not like he's in demand as a rookie assistant.
We gave BA 11 years.

Hannay should get at least 3 at a minimum.

It's only fair.

Gronk

Staff member
Roosters flicked him off last year with the shits over the dragons talks.
Unsure why they got the shits. Assistant coaches have NRL Coach get-out clauses. That's life.

Using that logic, Storm and Cronulla should be calling emergency meetings right now.

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson has spoken for the first time about the decision to immediately part company with Jason Ryles, declaring there was no point “treading water” with a staffer who wasn’t totally committed to the club.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Unsure why they got the shits. Assistant coaches have NRL Coach get-out clauses. That's life.

Using that logic, Storm and Cronulla should be calling emergency meetings right now.

Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson has spoken for the first time about the decision to immediately part company with Jason Ryles, declaring there was no point “treading water” with a staffer who wasn’t totally committed to the club.

Its the roosters who knows.

Maybe there are precious.

I think after O'Brien did a similar thing to them Uncle Nick has had a dummy spit and just told Ryles to piss off and go.

Its why i think Holbrook was unfortunately never an option he has agreed to do 2 years at the Roosters on the basis they welcomed him back and he would be there for 2 years with a agreement with Uncle Nick & Robbo that he wouldn't walk and leave for another job in 12 months time.

Gronk

Staff member
Its the roosters who knows.

Maybe there are precious.

I think after O'Brien did a similar thing to them Uncle Nick has had a dummy spit and just told Ryles to piss off and go.

Its why i think Holbrook was unfortunately never an option he has agreed to do 2 years at the Roosters on the basis they welcomed him back and he would be there for 2 years with a agreement with Uncle Nick & Robbo that he wouldn't walk and leave for another job in 12 months time.
Yet Fitzgibbon ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I read what you posted, ffs.

If you feel your words have been "misrepresented" somehow Pou, then maybe you should do better with your choice words - i.e. think more, post less? 🙏
Feeling misrepresented has nothing to do with it. You literally claimed I used words I didn’t use. There’s a quote function so you can avoid this sort of thing.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yet Fitzgibbon ?

I know what your saying but Fitzgibbon was there for nearly 10 years as assistant and served for another 10 as a player.

I think he is a life member there.

They would have been disappointed to lose him but at the same time he served them for a long time.

Uncle Nick is a successful businessman he isn't going to stand in people's way if they have been loyal to him for a long period of time if they get an upgraded position elsewhere.

I think its a different circumstance to some coaches coming like an O'Brien or Ryles who were there for 12-18 months and then wanting to leave.

Fitzy i assume would have been keeping them into the loop with his plans maybe Ryles wasn't.

Suitman

Post Whore
I just watch the James Graham - Michael Cheika interview.

If anyone watches that and can't figure out that Cheika would be the best player manager/coach we could ever appoint since Gibbo then they aren't to bright.

As for his knowledge of the game? He has plenty already but that is besides the point, just listen to him and you will quickly grasp that he has an army of assistants that he can draw on including from the RL world too. People is his business and he knows plenty of the best that we will ever need.

We as a club just need to have the balls to appoint him and then be clear in what we want him to deliver and then just leave him alone to do his magic.

Also I have a feeling if we did appoint him and he won us that premiership, his down the road job will be in corporate and if he has success here as a coach, who knows he may end up on our board and become our very own Uncle Nick.

I know...all a dream at this point, but we need to have grand dreams and he is the sort of person with a certain type of skill sets that don't come around all that often that can make grand dreams come true.

The man is a magnet for success and people want to be part of his success. None of the other candidates come even close to what this bloke could if successful.

I hope we as a club have the cahoonas to give him the gig. If not we will remain a middle of the road club for years to come. Almost guaranteed. None of the other candidate will have the backbone to lay down the law and fix our pathways correctly. I know it in my bones Cheika will quick smart demand idiots like our HOF be moved along. He won't tolerate human handbrakes like him.
Thank you @TheRam for leading me to that podcast.
A rained day off work for me today so I've had time to watch it.
I've no doubt that this man is the coach we should sign.
A very thought-provoking interview (well done James Graham!!!) which gave a greater insight into Cheika than any one of us knew about him.

He will walk into the club and absolutely change who we are. He would take the job on thinking he will win us a premiership, while I believe all the other contenders would come here hoping they can.

I said last week that this is probably the most important coaching appointment in the club's history. I still think that.

- I really hope the board have at least contacted him. He says in the podcast that he has never applied for a job in coaching.
- He has always been approached for the role.
- He manages himself, which keeps the vulture managers away.
- He knows more about RL than what many of you lot think.
- He's a deep and considered thought provoking person.
- He is a very successful businessman so the money isn't an issue.
- He craves success.
- He's a great man manager.

For those that haven't seen/listened to the interview/podcast, please take the time over the weekend to do so. And listen to it all. Yes, all 1 hour 41 minutes of it. I'm convinced more than ever now that we as a club would be nuts not to sign him. It's time to think outside the square.
He is a winner, a very smart operator and a person determined to succeed in everything he does.
Our next Jack Gibson if given the chance. (IMO)
We've been down the path of giving previous assistant coaches at other clubs a start.
Cheika is not full of shit.

Here's the link to the podcast.
Take some time to get to know him.
There's a lot of rugby talk but there's also a lot about league and Cheika as a person.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
I know what your saying but Fitzgibbon was there for nearly 10 years as assistant and served for another 10 as a player.

I think he is a life member there.

They would have been disappointed to lose him but at the same time he served them for a long time.

Uncle Nick is a successful businessman he isn't going to stand in people's way if they have been loyal to him for a long period of time if they get an upgraded position elsewhere.

I think its a different circumstance to some coaches coming like an O'Brien or Ryles who were there for 12-18 months and then wanting to leave.

Fitzy i assume would have been keeping them into the loop with his plans maybe Ryles wasn't.
So how does all of this make Ryles a bad candidate for the Eels job ? Or doesn't it ?

Cloeel

Juniors
A very thought-provoking interview (well done James Graham!!!) which gave a greater insight in to Cheika than any one of us knew about him.

He will walk into the club and absolutely change who we are. He would take the job on thinking he will win us a premiership, while I believe all the other contenders would come here hoping they can.

I said last week that this is probably the most important coaching appointment in the club's history. I still think that.

- I really hope the board have at least contacted him. He says in the podcast that he has never applied for a job in coaching.
- He craves success.

For those that haven't seen/listened to the interview/podcast, please take the time over the weekend to do so. And listen to it all. Yes, all 1 hour 41 minutes of it. I'm convinced more than ever now that we as a club would be nuts not to sign him. It's time to think outside the square.
He is a winner, a very smart operator and a person determined to succeed in everything he does.
We've been down the path of giving previous assistant coaches at other clubs a start.

There's a lot of rugby talk but there's also a lot about league and Cheika as a person.

Is it a red flag that no other NRL club (since Cheika confirmed his interest) has seriously considered him?

Suitman

Post Whore
Is it a red flag that no other NRL club (since Cheika confirmed his interest) has seriously considered him?
Great question!
I personally don't think so.
He really hasn't been available for very long.
And he has great league contacts to bring in as decent assistants like Matt King (who he rates highly), Sam Burgess, Fittler and others.

King-Gutho94

Coach
A very thought-provoking interview (well done James Graham!!!) which gave a greater insight in to Cheika than any one of us knew about him.

- He craves success.

As Matty Johns said today the premiership drought shouldn't be seen as a weight but an incentive something a coach like Cheika would relish.

You want leaders wanting to run towards the fire like a Cheika who have done it before and wont back down from a fight but have street smarts about them.

He would be in complete control and have the squad believing from Day 1 they are capable of anything.

I am just curious if he does do an interview will the board listen to what he says and can he win them over.

Because if the board do there job properly he should win them over if they haven't made there mind up already on who they truly want otherwise this shortlist process is just a PR exercise to make it look like due process and diligence.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Potential Eels coach Josh Hannay seeks clarity the club’s challenges​

Queensland assistant coach Josh Hannay is one of the lead contenders for Parramatta’s head coaching position, but would like a deeper understanding of the inner-workings of the club.

Queensland Origin assistant Josh Hannay has confirmed he has been short-listed for the Eels coaching job and believes he is the man to snap Parramatta’s agonising 38-year premiership drought.
In his first interview since being added to the shortlist to succeed sacked Parramatta mentor Brad Arthur, Hannay declared he is ready to launch his NRL head-coaching career at the Eels.

The glamour western Sydney club has not won a premiership since 1986, but that is no concern for Hannay, who is among six contenders for the Parramatta post.

NSW Origin coach Michael Maguire, Jason Ryles, Knights assistant Brian McDermott and former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika are others in the mix.

“Yes, the role certainly appeals to me on face value,” Hannay said.

“The Eels are a big club, well-resourced, you look at the roster and there is some strength to their roster.

“I would need to get a deeper understanding of the inner-workings of the club before I know how appealing the job is, but it seems appealing.”

Hannay has a formidable resume.

The 44-year-old played 153 NRL games at the Cowboys and Cronulla, plus two Origin matches for Queensland, before moving into coaching with Souths Logan in the Hostplus Cup.

A current club assistant to Cronulla mentor Craig Fitzgibbon, Hannay has served as an interim NRL coach at the Cowboys and Sharks and would relish the chance to step up with the Eels.

“I think I’m ready because of the journey I have been on,” he said.

“I have been very privileged to work with coaches like Paul Green, Craig Fitzgibbon and Billy Slater and every step along the way you are learning from guys who are renowned winners.

“‘Greeny’ won a premiership at the Cowboys, ‘Fitzy’ worked with Trent Robinson at the Roosters and won a number of comps there.

“With Billy, all he has done all his life is win.

“When you work alongside guys like them with their own strengths, for me as a coach I have my own strengths, but you also take little bits and pieces from others on that journey.

“That has led to a point where I’d like to think I’m a well-rounded coach ready for an opportunity.

“Whether that’s with Parramatta or someone else further down the line, time will tell, but in terms of readiness, I can’t be better prepared or better educated to be a head coach.”

Hannay has fond memories of Parramatta’s last premiership win almost 40 years ago. He would relish breaking the drought.

“My first memories of rugby league as a kid, I was six years old growing up in Moranbah, was the 1986 grand final,” he said.

“It was the tryless 4-2 grand final between Parramatta and the Bulldogs.

“I had a Parramatta shirt I used to wear as a kid growing up following the game.

“I am well aware of the history of the club and the great names like (Brett) Kenny, (Ray) Price and (Peter) Sterling.

“It’s been a long time since they have won a premiership and they have been starved of success as a club in recent times.

“There is an external pressure that comes with that because of the appetite for the next premiership, but the saying goes, ‘pressure is a privilege’ and whoever steps into the role will be working with a club that wants that success.

“That is a good thing that they are craving that success. Whoever gets that role will be stepping into a position where the pressure is there, but that’s exciting as well.

Gazzamatta

Coach

- He craves success.

Send it to the board. Yes a great listen. I was equally impressed. Yes Gibbo does come to mind. Loved the story of the players being questioned at gun point. Loved the dinner organised, Lebanon league and Argentina Union. Said hed never apply for an assistant role as his skill is as a leader. His comments re faith in ones own ability and "people making big decisions are just people".
Spoke of ensuring he has everybody in the organisation are the right people.
Outstanding.

84 Baby

Referee

“I had a Parramatta shirt I used to wear as a kid growing up following the game.

Sold! But also this bit:
“There is an external pressure that comes with that because of the appetite for the next premiership, but the saying goes, ‘pressure is a privilege’ and whoever steps into the role will be working with a club that wants that success.
I think someone out of that Queensland Origin system could be good for us. Not afraid of that pressure to succeed

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Potential Eels coach Josh Hannay seeks clarity the club’s challenges​

Queensland assistant coach Josh Hannay is one of the lead contenders for Parramatta’s head coaching position, but would like a deeper understanding of the inner-workings of the club.

Queensland Origin assistant Josh Hannay has confirmed he has been short-listed for the Eels coaching job and believes he is the man to snap Parramatta’s agonising 38-year premiership drought.
In his first interview since being added to the shortlist to succeed sacked Parramatta mentor Brad Arthur, Hannay declared he is ready to launch his NRL head-coaching career at the Eels.

The glamour western Sydney club has not won a premiership since 1986, but that is no concern for Hannay, who is among six contenders for the Parramatta post.

NSW Origin coach Michael Maguire, Jason Ryles, Knights assistant Brian McDermott and former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika are others in the mix.

“Yes, the role certainly appeals to me on face value,” Hannay said.

“The Eels are a big club, well-resourced, you look at the roster and there is some strength to their roster.

“I would need to get a deeper understanding of the inner-workings of the club before I know how appealing the job is, but it seems appealing.”

Hannay has a formidable resume.

The 44-year-old played 153 NRL games at the Cowboys and Cronulla, plus two Origin matches for Queensland, before moving into coaching with Souths Logan in the Hostplus Cup.

A current club assistant to Cronulla mentor Craig Fitzgibbon, Hannay has served as an interim NRL coach at the Cowboys and Sharks and would relish the chance to step up with the Eels.

“I think I’m ready because of the journey I have been on,” he said.

“I have been very privileged to work with coaches like Paul Green, Craig Fitzgibbon and Billy Slater and every step along the way you are learning from guys who are renowned winners.

“‘Greeny’ won a premiership at the Cowboys, ‘Fitzy’ worked with Trent Robinson at the Roosters and won a number of comps there.

“With Billy, all he has done all his life is win.

“When you work alongside guys like them with their own strengths, for me as a coach I have my own strengths, but you also take little bits and pieces from others on that journey.

“That has led to a point where I’d like to think I’m a well-rounded coach ready for an opportunity.

“Whether that’s with Parramatta or someone else further down the line, time will tell, but in terms of readiness, I can’t be better prepared or better educated to be a head coach.”

Hannay has fond memories of Parramatta’s last premiership win almost 40 years ago. He would relish breaking the drought.

“My first memories of rugby league as a kid, I was six years old growing up in Moranbah, was the 1986 grand final,” he said.

“It was the tryless 4-2 grand final between Parramatta and the Bulldogs.

“I am well aware of the history of the club and the great names like (Brett) Kenny, (Ray) Price and (Peter) Sterling.

“It’s been a long time since they have won a premiership and they have been starved of success as a club in recent times.

“That is a good thing that they are craving that success. Whoever gets that role will be stepping into a position where the pressure is there, but that’s exciting as well.

I like the cut of his jib, he comes across pretty well. I’d be happy with him but I wouldn’t say no to Cheika. Maybe we need to go full mad merkin to break that drought?? One things for sure Cheika wouldn’t be scared of surrounding himself with quality.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
‘Resource’ refers here to money.
“I would need to get a deeper understanding of the inner-workings of the club before I know how appealing the job is
This is where he’s talking about the resources that make a difference on the field.