What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Ryles

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.7%

• Total voters

Delboy

First Grade
Anyone have access to the Matthew Johns article rating the coaches for the Parra job. It’s behind a paywall but it could be interesting as he mentions the need to improve juniors

Incorrect

Coach
Anyone have access to the Matthew Johns article rating the coaches for the Parra job. It’s behind a paywall but it could be interesting as he mentions the need to improve juniors
Lol. Just messing with ya mate. I haven't read the article, I'm not a subscriber. And I don't put much weight on Matt Johns' opinions tbh....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
tbh I couldn’t give 2 shits who we appoint….im not the one interviewing them therefore none of us really know what they’re going to bring to the table I’m just simply stating a fact…

would there be a guarantee of success if your boy was appointed?
There will absolutely be no guaranteed success, no matter who were bring in. I’ll just be happy if after two seasons they have a better win rate than Arthur’s.

There will absolutely be no guaranteed success, no matter who were bring in. I’ll just be happy if after two seasons they have a better win rate than Arthur’s.
I don't reckon you will be happy with that though... I reckon by then you'll still be peddling some other troll bullshit line in here, to pass your time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm always happy. It's just footy. If we lose there's reasons. Sometimes the opposition just played better. There's no need for a witch hunt.

eels_fan

First Grade
Basically said our junior systems are pathetic compared to Penrith, but we have a decent first grade side. listed 6-7 coaches and their backgrounds.

didn’t rate them or order them so the headline as usual is bullshit

Delboy

First Grade
Basically said our junior systems are pathetic compared to Penrith, but we have a decent first grade side. listed 6-7 coaches and their backgrounds.

didn’t rate them or order them so the headline as usual is bullshit
Thanks

seems like he follows a line in the juniors, we actually won Ball, got beat by the eventual winners in Matt’sand are competitive in Flegg .The issue is keeping the vultures away and ensuring a senior pathway, that’s where the HOF and his minions come into it.

I'm always happy. It's just footy. If we lose there's reasons. Sometimes the opposition just played better. There's no need for a witch hunt.
But are you happy though, apart from the "it's just footy" line?

You know what I'm getting at... the link between stated "happiness" the underlying reason why you might continue to post here in the trolling manner which you do?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You mean a better win rate than Arthur's 2014/15 record right? Apples and apples and all and even that's a ridiculous comparison....
The club is a lot stronger now than it was in 2014. It shouldn't be hard to win more often than Arthur's did over his entire time at Parra, which includes 2014-2018.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But are you happy though, apart from the "it's just footy" line?

You know what I'm getting at... the link between stated "happiness" the underlying reason why you might continue to post here in the trolling manner which you do?
I'm happier discussing footy than I am watching us lose, that's for sure. You should try it.

Johnny88

Juniors
Matty Johns: Rating the Parramatta Eels coaching candidates
Whoever gets the Eels job needs to understand, it’s not just about coaching the NRL team — they must have a major role in junior development to really get the club soaring. MATTY JOHNS assesses the candidates.
Matty Johns
4 min read

There’s only so many NRL coaching jobs, hence why every time a clipboard holder gets the punt, desperate candidates are already thrusting their resumes across the desk as the last bloke’s being marched out of the building.
A lot of people want the vacant Parramatta job and it’s understandable.
Brad Arthur has put a lot of work into this squad; they are well coached and the players tactically well educated. But Arthur took the team as far as he could.
The Eels are like a sprinter who runs 10.05 seconds for 100 metres. Fast enough for a final, but they need someone to come in and shave off half a second to win Olympic gold.

The fact the Eels haven’t won a competition since 1986 is not a weight, it’s an incentive.
The coach and team who finally break the drought won’t just be celebrated, they’ll never be forgotten.
But it’s not an easy job either. There’s so much work to do in terms of the junior nursery. Whether it be through neglect or being incapable to harness it, Parramatta’s junior structure is poor, to say the least. And compared to what Penrith have done in the last decade, pathetic.
Whoever gets the Eels job needs to understand, it’s not just about coaching the NRL team — they must have a major role in junior development to really get this club soaring.
Let’s run through the candidates and a couple of coaches to whom they should give some thought.

JASON RYLES
The favourite
The Melbourne Storm have done a lot of Parra’s hard work here. After going through potential candidates to replace Craig Bellamy, they chose Ryles, which says a lot about his credentials.
Unfortunately for Ryles, Bellyache just won’t quit.
A drawback is that he hasn’t run a team as head coach, but as an assistant he couldn’t have done any more. He’s learnt from Bellamy, Trent Robinson and Eddie Jones, showing he’s formulated his principles from numerous successful systems with contrasting styles.

MICHAEL CHEIKA
The wildcard
OK, the obvious drawback is that Cheika has had limited coaching experience in rugby league. However, he was extremely well thought of by his players when coaching Lebanon.
One of the biggest factors when comparing the best coaches to the ones who are lining up at Centrelink is having the ability to handle the intense pressure.
For Cheika, pressure is not a problem. He’s coached and had great success at big rugby clubs and national teams over a long time.
Cheika has great presence, his tactical knowledge is sound and, with a strong coaching team, I have no doubt he would enjoy success.

JOSH HANNAY
The quiet man
On a couple of occasions, Hannay has had to step into the difficult role of interim coach during tough times at clubs and handled it very well.
Hannay is extremely well regarded by all who’ve worked under and alongside him. Queensland coach Billy Slater, who he works with as his Maroons assistant, is a big fan and the tactical nuances Hannay continues to learn from Slater will take his coaching to new levels.

BRIAN McDERMOTT
The English experience
McDermott enjoyed enormous success as coach of the Leeds Rhinos, where won titles, Challenge Cups, coaching awards and was loved by his players.
Over the past 18 months, he’s made a big impression at the Newcastle Knights as an assistant. McDermott last year restructured and simplified the Knights’ defence and has won over the players with his straightforward communication and no-nonsense approach.

MICHAEL MAGUIRE
The experience
I don’t need to go into details about Maguire’s credentials.
Like Parra, the Rabbitohs had endured a long, hard road without premiership success until Maguire broke the drought in 2014.
In hindsight, you realised what a good job he was actually doing at the Wests Tigers and he was a revelation with the New Zealand national team, smashing the Aussies 30-0 in a record margin late last year.
But Maguire has a job as NSW Origin coach and most expect him to see out his two-year contract before going back into club land.

TRENT BARRETT
The interim
Barrett will need to do some special things as interim coach to land the job on a permanent basis.
Barrett was always highly thought of as an assistant, but had a wretched time when he was twice given the lead role at both Manly and Canterbury. He will have learnt a lot from those failures, but I’m not sure if Parramatta will gamble on third time lucky.

STEVE McNAMARA
The path of Robbo
The Eels should take a look at this bloke; he was highly rated by the Roosters players during his stint as Trent Robinson’s assistant.
Like Robinson, McNamara’s enjoying a lot of success with French club Catalans, taking them to grand finals and collecting coach of the year awards along the way.
McNamara is an excellent man manager, has a calm demeanour and strong tactical awareness. He hasn’t publicly stated his interest but has ambitions to be a head coach in the NRL.

MATT PEET
The emerging star
A left-of-centre candidate. Rumours are circulating that Peet is interested in the Eels position, even though he’s extended his deal at Wigan.
Peet has proven himself to be an elite coach in a short amount of time. He’s in his third season at the helm of the Warriors and already won a Challenge Cup, Super League title and beaten Penrith in the World Club Challenge, and picked up coach of the year honours.
It’s little wonder Wigan gave him a seven-year extension taking him until the end of 2030.
Tactically astute and loved by his players, Peet will coach in the NRL one day.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Whoever gets the Eels job needs to understand, it’s not just about coaching the NRL team — they must have a major role in junior development to really get the club soaring.
Matt Johns' writers have been lurking on social media. They know the hot button issues for the half informed. Utoikamanu gets a huge offer after one NRL game? Sanders and Talagi win SG Ball and immediately chase the money? Obviously junior development is our problem.

Latest posts