What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
Cheika would have possibly been the circuit breaker we need in the football operations area, and in particular with the mental attitude of our playing group. I made this exact comment to someone at the club the other day.
What did the random guy playing the pokies on Level 1 say in reply? ☺️

Delboy

First Grade
The delay in structure is agonising as wait for the coach tlo be announced..
How can we expect decent external signings when Hopgood, Talagi and Simmonson are still unsigned, and they seem essential to provide depth and experience. Mits is concerned and don’t think there is an enormous amount in confidence in the 3 tasked with current major decision making.

Chipmunk

Coach
I am hopeful that a new coach brings a new era, based on a new attitude and approach to our style of football.

Cheika would have possibly been the circuit breaker we need in the football operations area, and in particular with the mental attitude of our playing group. I made this exact comment to someone at the club the other day.

I want the Board and CEO to take a back seat in day to day footy operations, simply set the strategy across the whole club and then enable the various departments to deliver on that.

If we can do that, front office and onfield success should follow.

Why would the Board and CEO suddenly now take a back seat in the day to day footy operations?

Avenger

Immortal
Can the voters please consider changing their vote to either Hannay or Ryles seeing the others are out of the picture.

This is getting interesting.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Cheika was the only one on the candidate list who could have changed the culture of our club and set things up for future success. he may not have succeeded but he was the only i reckon who could have made a difference.

for him to succeed in that, others positions would have been threatened and numpties would have been exposed.

idiots get to keep there jobs running this club into the ground if they select a rookie.

i would love to know why he is no longer being considered.

we need a decent clean out over the next 1-2 seasons. we are near the bottom of the ladder, MON is our HOF, our pathways are crap and we will have a rookie coach. how are we going to sign anyone decent?

Wouldnt be surprised if the board are shit scared of him and the changes he would want to implement

Ive changed my vote from Cheika to Hannay

chiefy1

Bench
Ill change mine to Ryles but I still want Holbrook. Grrrrrrr.
I changed to Ryles. He's more defence oriented, . If we can't fix D we're going nowhere fast, and as we saw against the Roosters, ba has had 11 seasons to fix this sht, but we're still running around like a bunch of disorganised clowns.

Avenger

Immortal
I changed to Ryles. He's more defence oriented, . If we can't fix D we're going nowhere fast, and as we saw against the Roosters, ba has had 11 seasons to fix this sht, but we're still running around like a bunch of disorganised clowns.
What are these interviews you posted with the coaches? What’s the link?

I'm not changing my vote, as I can't split Hannay or Ryles tbh - they bring about the same level of inexperience to the role, and I lack any sense of confidence that either will come in and do the clean sweep and change of tactics and personnel that we badly need.

Obviously I'll wish the successful candidate all the best in starting hopefully a new era for the Eels, but the quality of remaining two candidates leaves me a little... meh.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm not changing my vote because I always believed that Cheika was by far the best candidate. If it is true that they have discounted him, well the club can go ahead and do what the club does best. Take the soft option. Imo.

We absolutely need something different. We need cultural change and Cheika has been able to achieve that in his previous roles in coaching. I honestly believe that his lack of RL coaching shouldn't be an impediment to his application for the role. He knows his RL and is an avid follower of our game.

If the coach selection committee don't have the balls to take this risk, well, I would suggest that they are taking an even bigger risk on an untried and unproven RL coach like Ryles or Hannay.
Kearney anyone?

Obviously, whoever they choose of the remaining candidates (whoever they are?) will also be a risk.
I would've gone for the most experienced option and that was Cheika.

He has stated that he wants to be a part of the Wallabies 2027 World Cup aspiration. Whether that transpires or not is still to play out, so why not give him 2 years at the Eels and at least see if he could turn our club around? I'd rather that option than a 4 year contract for Ryles or Hannay.

In theory you’re still a mathematical chance of making the finals, so I think you should wait until Baz finishes up in case he jags 8th.

Otherwise i do consider that the new coach has to start immediately and try to salvage the season.

Twould also be a good way to compare and contrast fresh coaching meat to Bea.

Delboy

First Grade
I’ll change to Ryles as he wants to bring in new staff across the board, not sure Hannay by being prepared to keep current staff is smart. May save the accountants some money , but feels like a fresh approach is most sensible after 11 years under one voice and basically long term assistants.