What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.2%

• Total voters

eels_fan

First Grade
Michael Cheika is more determined than ever to be an NRL coach. Having missed out on the Parramatta job – Josh Hannay and Jason Ryles appear to be locked in a two-horse race to become Brad Arthur’s successor – Cheika insists the rugby league coaching fire still burns.
“To make that change … is a huge challenge and one I’d love to master,” Cheika told Sport Con.

“Just like in the game – nothing’s given to you easily.”

Cheika was on a six-man shortlist for the Eels job along with the likes of Hannay, Ryles, assistant coach Trent Barrett and NSW coach Michael Maguire.

It is understood his initial interview was as impressive as any of the other contenders but when push came to shove, the Eels opted not to take the risk on the former Wallabies and Argentina coach, whose resume includes rugby league stints with the Sydney Roosters and Lebanon national team.

It is understood Eels officials told Cheika that they had doubts over his ability to handle the day-to-day demands of being an NRL coach, a decision that some would no doubt find bemusing given his coaching resume.

Cheika juggled the role of coaching Argentina with his commitments with Lebanon at the last rugby league World Cup.

He had two years in the French Top 14 rugby union competition, where he coached over 30 games a season and juggled the challenge of roster building with the demands of French owners, who are notorious for their flightiness and short fuses.

That wasn’t enough to impress Eels officials, who opted for the safer route of current NRL assistants Ryles and Hannay.

While Cheika was disappointed with the outcome, it hasn’t dulled his desire to challenge himself in rugby league as a head coach at some point in time.

He plans to lick his wounds and go again.

In the French league where you’re coaching up to 35 games per year you also have to deal with the prospect of relegation so I think the pressures are there every day ….. not to mention having also handled two years of coaching Waratahs and Wallabies at the same time,” Cheika said.

The Eels are expected to take at least another fortnight to make a decision on their next head coach given Hannay is now in camp with the Maroons and unable to hold his second interview with Parramatta until his state duties are over.

King-Gutho94

Coach
They've all got no f**ken idea.
Fancy telling a bloke who has coached multiple national sporting teams and professional sporting teams in the past 15-20 years including 2 sides from different sports at the same time he couldn't handle the demands of being an NRL Coach.

Clearly coaching Cairns Brothers, Wests Wollongong, Batemans Bay Tigers is the best prep meeting the day to day demands of an NRL Coach then the Wallabies, Waratahs, Argentina, Leinster & even assisting a big club like the chooks for 12 months.

This has MON all over it ensuring whoever is appointed can be a puppet for him and the board and he can't lose his job as HOF.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There were 9 NRL coach appointments over the last 2 - 3 years, who didn't appoint Cheika, or seriously consider him.....maybe the board know something we don't....

Let's see if another club appoints him in the next year or so....

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
There were 9 NRL coach appointments over the last 2 - 3 years, who didn't appoint Cheika, or seriously consider him.....maybe the board know something we don't....

Maybe.....the truth is not one of us f**kers has any clue about how any coach who gets the job is going to pan out. This thread is just an exercise in dick swinging and making ourselves feel better by being angry and pretending to know what we are talking about.

Incorrect

Coach

Did he express an interest or put himself forward for an interview with any of those previous appointments you cite?

Incorrect

Coach
So we have reportedly had 2 of the best man manager's across 2 codes and who have experienced championship success make approaches to our club but we've either knocked them back with some lame excuse or changed our mind and chased them only after the other one signed to coach elsewhere....

The people in charge of this exercise are a laughing stock and our club is ridiculed by fans of other clubs as well as our own, and the media alike and I can't blame them. WTF is going on?

King-Gutho94

Coach
I would have liked Chieka, cos it would have been an interesting ride to have an intellectual in charge for a bit. So I get the angst.

However the ^^^ post makes zero sense, in unfounded and smacks of sour grapes.
Settle down its an opinion.

Were all entitled to one.

I never said it was actual fact. The fact a fair few posters already agree with my train of thought suggests they have same thought as me.

Why is MON the only RL based experience on a 3-man panel in charge appointing the next coach.

When every new coach comes in they generally like to put a small broom through certain sections of the football department. I am sure MON would be conservative on who he would want to take over as it has the potential to possibly put him out of a job if the new head coach wants someone more qualified in that role that MON is currently in.

Gronk

Staff member
Settle down its an opinion.

Were all entitled to one.

I never said it was actual fact. The fact a fair few posters already agree with my train of thought suggests they have same thought as me.

Why is MON the only RL based experience on a 3-man panel in charge appointing the next coach.

When every new coach comes in they generally like to put a small broom through certain sections of the football department. I am sure MON would be conservative on who he would want to take over as it has the potential to possibly put him out of a job if the new head coach wants someone more qualified in that role that MON is currently in.

MON wouldn't want the best coach because that would mean that his job is more secure ? So he'll be voting for the 2nd or 3rd best choice instead ?

Well that conspiracy theory was not on my bingo card.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
MON wouldn't want the best coach because that would mean that his job is more secure ? So he'll be voting for the 2nd or 3rd best choice instead ?

Well that conspiracy theory was not on my bingo card.
He’ll do anything to keep his job, otherwise it’s back to pushing trolleys.

Any capable coach would be wanting this bum gone ASAP.

Latest posts