What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Noise

Coach
In terms of the 'tactics' we should use in the opposition 20, I would like to see us attack the right side on one play and then attack the left side the very next play with bodies in motion. Watch how many times we have set up plays. We burn 3-4 tackles a set doing this. I made a comment to those i was watching with during the Bunnies game before our set started "Watch us burn 3 three tackles on the right to set up for a backline play to the left, then come back towards the left post for the kick" Sure enough that was the set. We had 1 legitimate attacking play in the whole set before the kick. Souths obviously knew every play that was coming. Unfortunately that is our standard set.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Honestly, I don't think our pack suits a faster defensive style. We defended quite well last year with this pack. The only difference this year is Papali'i is defending inside Moses.

That's another interesting point - we defended quite well last year, but this year, our defence is pretty average.

I am not sure why.

hindy111

Post Whore
our attack also needs fine tuning.

our game plan revolves around being a highly disciplined team. Holding the ball, no penalties/repeat sets, high % possession and field position. We’re reliant on forward domination with a long kicking game from Moses. We wait for teams to make mistakes to take advantage. Then we try and crash over, playing ba ball. Only problem with this is if our forwards meet their match, we struggle. We need to mix it up a little. No set moves from the scrum, yet we’ve conceded so many tries this way. We also try and play bash and barge inside the opposition 20. If they withstand our ‘attack’, turn up the pressure on us, we fold like cheap toilet paper. We don’t seem to spread the ball in our own half like other teams. We just try and play to conservatively.

the roosters game we won a few weeks ago, we played a more flamboyant type of game. Ran different angles and lines. Had bodies in motion. We need more of that.

Fine tuning is when its close but just needs a few small tweaks. Id say it needs a rebuild

Chipmunk

Coach
In terms of the 'tactics' we should use in the opposition 20, I would like to see us attack the right side on one play and then attack the left side the very next play with bodies in motion. Watch how many times we have set up plays. We burn 3-4 tackles a set doing this. I made a comment to those i was watching with during the Bunnies game before our set started "Watch us burn 3 three tackles on the right to set up for a backline play to the left, then come back towards the left post for the kick" Sure enough that was the set. We had 1 legitimate attacking play in the whole set before the kick. Souths obviously knew every play that was coming. Unfortunately that is our standard set.
It's been like this for far too long.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I've gotten bored with all this talk defending the club. I'm going to happily see out the season and then we will see.
I think we win 3 straight however. And pending who play week 1. If Roosters then goodnight
It was a too much of a zinger for you to handle, lettuce boy.

Incorrect

Coach
True. Its just that "BA feels threatened by people" seems to have become gospel without a shred of evidence as far as I can see.
What I was told going back to when DA was brought in as GM of football or whatever it was, he brought a couple of blokes with him that he had on staff when he was at the Warriors. Before long, BA questioned one of the staff about his background and who had hired him and what not. Once BA found out he was a DA hire, he stopped engaging with him and froze him out, much like became the case with DA and BA's relationship.... Of course there are 2 sides to every story, I'm just relaying a version of a story I've been told by someone I've known for a long time and who, granted, is/was a friend of DA. So maybe there's been some embellishing of the truth. And I know there are many BA acolytes on here that will say BA was right to be wary of DA and how DA along with Sharp screwed the club with their deceit and incompetence but the original point was that having a former first grade coach in that GM position caused plenty of suspicion/paranoia and the working relationship was dead in the water before it almost began...

yy_cheng

Coach
I know the question was not asked of me, but please allow me to proffer my opinion.

I think Pou touched on it earlier - we are very disciplined side, and while it is nice to see in many ways, I think we should consider pushing the envelope more, and particularly when we start to give up fast play-the-balls, and start to have momentum wrestled away from us.

I think the coaching staff should tell the team that it is better to give away a 6-again, and slow the play, than to play by the rules, and give up 60 metres per set, where we are effectively on the back foot.

I am also of the belief that our defenders need to pay with more aggression; not in the sense that they need to look to smash merkins on every tackle, but in the sense that we need to get in the attacker's face, and meet them at, or before, the advantage line; I have noticed that we employ what I like to term a "reactive defence", whereby we move up 2 or 3 metres, and then wait for the attackers to come to us.

Granted, this style of defence is probably a safer way to defend (you are likely to have fewer gaps in the line, the line is more likely to remain straight, etc.) - however, I am of the belief that good teams attack with their defence; even when the good teams are starved of the ball, they can try to wrestle momentum back, by moving up aggressively, and forcing the attacking team to make split-second decisions under pressure.

Currently, our "reactive defence" allows our opposition to determine how the game is played, and I believe we need to change that.

I think our attack is generally fine, unless we are behind on the scoreboard by three, or more, tries.

Another tactic that I think should be explored is to encourage our edge forwards to complete tackles one-on-one, and to have the trailing defenders push out wider, to try to shut down attacking raids.

Currently, I believe that we employ the group/gang tackle tactic too frequently out wide, and combined with our "reactive defence", it can lead to situations where our defenders are on the back foot, running to shut a play down, and there is an overlap created.

I recall a tactic used to try to mitigate the damage that Sonny-Bill Williams could cause in his early days - the "umbrella defence" - whereby you would have one lead tackler try to stop SBW, and one defender on either side of the central defender, ready to stop a player from receiving an offload; if SBW did not pop the ball free, then the umbrella would close in on SBW, and effectively cut his time to make plays significantly.

I believe we have a solid enough roster to compete; we just need to be more proactive, and intelligent, in how we play.

Fire away! :)
I was just thinking that but only on the right hand side for the umbrella defense and we need guth covering the kick behind them.

They would all have to rush up not just one of them

The only issue is jake is slow, will is slow

Latest posts