What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters

TheRam

Coach
For starters there are highly influential figures like Gould and Alexander. Also lesser known but very influential fans O’Neill, Farragher and Graham.

So besides Gould who is a mercenary and anyone can hire, they basically have what most other clubs have. Successful people that are fans.

Now if you can show me and everyone else on this forum how they are an unhirable resource that the club/players are gaining from in a meaningful way then maybe you are right? But otherwise they are just fans that are great to have around and show the players from time to time that the club has successful followers but hardly game changers.

As for Brandy, besides being high profile, what has he ever done after football that has made him such a asset to the playing group, and how come it never seemed to work until Gould restructured the joint and got his mate Packer to save them from Bankruptcy? Oh and having the 2 Cleary's as the king pins of your club doesn't hurt.

Packer and Gould were the real shakers and movers, not Brandy who is a figure head sports junkie and these other guys who are what fan boys?

Like I said, almost all clubs have wealthy and successful fans that come in from time to time and make themselves present and even talk to players, but very few will actually 'CONTRIBUTE' at arms length from the club as a 3rd party type to make a ongoing quality difference to the playing staff.

Money talks...the rest my friend, well I hope you have your walking shoes on cos you have a very long walk ahead of you and you have no friends to help you...not even Gronky who will ditch your lily what arse at the the first sight of a heat wobble at the start of the Eyre Highway on the Nullarbor Plain. Not even he is that silly.

Wake up dumb dumb.

pazzaeel

Juniors
You’d think the board would call Billy Slater and get a direct reference for Hannay. He’s my pick.
may have been mentioned, but if you listen to podcasts, there is one called "the imperfects". they had billy slater on a few weeks back.

i hated him as a player but you'd give your left to have as coach of the eels.

T.S Quint

Coach
Best post of the day. I couldn’t agree more. They had the balls to sack our entitled coach (Don’t believe all the he’s a classy gentleman bullshit) and now whoever they pick I have confidence that he is the best for the job.

Why not?
If you don't want me to belive it then give me a reason not to belive it.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I have to say after seeing Billy Slaters masterclasses I really want a coach that offers more than “RUN HARD AND TACKLE HARD”. I really hope we get a coach who understands tactics and is adaptable.
I agree but I reckon now days its about a coaching team. Its pretty obvious under BA we had a One Club Plan. Same style, same players throughout the club. We need a complete new group. Whether Cayless, Rankin etc can develop under a different system remains to be seen. Thats why we need more than a bloke who can show them how to tackle. He needs to be an ultimate leader. Someone who can drive change. Tactics dont just apply to game day. Who best fits this requirement? Probably only one on the short list.

chiefy1

Bench
You like Madge don’t you?

I'm not a huge fan of any of the candidates. I wouldn't be offering any one of them more than a 2 y deal. I was really hoping the club persuade Flanagan previously.

Hannay & Ryles require training wheels.
Chieka need the best people around him which we don't have.
Maguire was good in the UK & NZ but I think his personality has let him down previously with NRL teams. He may be a more mature coach these days.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
I'm not a huge fan of any of the candidates. I wouldn't be offering any one of them more than a 2 y deal. I was really hoping the club persuade Flanagan previously.

Hannay & Ryles require training wheels.
Chieka need the best people around him which we don't have.
Maguire was good in the UK & NZ but I think his personality has let him down previously with NRL teams. He may be a more mature coach these days.

Any coach being interviewed will front up with names who he wants to be assistant AND he will have already have them on board for 2025, if he is successful.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Josh Hannay could be new Eels coach: J'maine Hopgood​

Josh Hannay would be a strong choice for Parramatta's vacant head-coaching job, Eels forward J'maine Hopgood says, after the pair reunited ahead of Queensland's triumph in State of Origin I.

Craig Fitzgibbon's right-hand man at Cronulla, Hannay is considered one of the NRL's top assistant coaches and has been linked with the Eels vacancy since the struggling NRL club fired long-term mentor Brad Arthur last month.

Hannay has been on the Maroons coaching staff since Billy Slater took charge in 2022, working primarily with the outside backs and cementing himself as a popular figure with the playing group.

The 44-year-old has twice taken the reins as an interim head coach - at North Queensland in 2020 and then the Sharks, who he guided to within a sliver of the 2021 finals.

The only Eels player selected for Origin I, Hopgood has known the coach since the Hervey Bay product earned selection in Hannay's Queensland under-18 side in 2017.

Hannay dodged questions about his interest in the Eels job on Wednesday, though said he had previously "made it clear" he had head-coaching aspirations.

After the Maroons' 38-10 win on Wednesday night, Hopgood was confident the 44-year-old would be up to the task of taking charge at Parramatta.

"Of course I'm going to say that," he told AAP.

"I'm not too sure what direction (the Eels) are going. If that's one, then yeah, 'Head' is doing a good job. But it's above my pay grade."

During camp ahead of his Maroons debut, Hopgood was struck by Hannay's rare combination of football and people skills.

"He's easygoing, he's easy to have conversations with, which is a good thing," Hopgood said.

"But he's also very footy-smart at the same time. He's spent a fair bit of time as an assistant coach at different places."

Hopgood was solid from the bench on his Origin debut, but his most memorable moment came after halftime when he was whacked to the ground in a bruising tackle from NSW's Liam Martin.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Flip a coin... If it comes down Cheika, I'll be excited.... If it comes down Hannay I'll be quietly confident... I can live with either....
Yep basically that.

Having watched Hannay speak and just observing him in the past few weeks he has a quiet confidence about him without the arrogance that makes him very appealing.

He has been around the block at multiple clubs not like when we appointed the dope Steve Kearney who spent his apprenticeship being an outlet for Bellyache to scream at in the coaches box.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yep basically that.

Having watched Hannay speak and just observing him in the past few weeks he has a quiet confidence about him without the arrogance that makes him very appealing.

He has been around the block at multiple clubs not like when we appointed the dope Steve Kearney who spent his apprenticeship being an outlet for Bellyache to *scream at in the coaches box.
*Spit on

eels_fan

First Grade
I'm firmly on the Hannay train.

I dont mind Cheika as a left field option - but our board doesnt have the balls to do something so risky yet potentially revolutionary.

The genuine field will be Hannay, Ryles, Madge.

Parraeels.com.au said:
The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce Scott Fava as their inaugural Harvey Norman NSW Women’s Premiership Coach for the 2024 season.

Scott joins the Eels with a strong background in elite football, most recently as Head Coach Brumbies Super W, leading them to their first finals campaign in 2023, and as Wallaroos Assistant Coach.

Look like we got our wallabies coach