What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Ryles

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Morris

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Cheika

Votes: 33 39.3%

• Total voters

the phantom menace

First Grade
My preferences:

Cheika - why not roll the dice and give it a shot, with experienced assistants
McDermott - 4 time Super League premiership winning coach, now based in Australia
Maguire - for a roster clean-out and to just f**king get the f**kers to f**king play for a season or two

I'm not convinced by all of these assistant coaches - Ryles, Hannay, etc etc - putting their hands up for a shot. We don't need a(nother) rookie at this point - we don't have 11 years for them to learn the ropes.

The Predictor

Juniors
My preferences:

McDermott - 4 time Super League premiership winning coach, now based in Australia
Maguire - for a roster clean-out and to just f**king get the f**kers to f**king play for a season or two

I'm not convinced by all of these assistant coaches - Ryles, Hannay, etc etc - putting their hands up for a shot. We don't need a(nother) rookie at this point - we don't have 11 years for them to learn the ropes.
Agreed

just hope if we sign Madge, he has learned from tigers stint, understanding the game has changed , and he needs to adapt, if that isn’t the case, I’m concerned

Last edited:

Tmars

Juniors
No love for Toovey or Ryles?
Let's be honest Toovey will never coach again in the nrl.
You can tell by his fox league gig he is not overly intelligent (he was a great player and got many head knocks)
and anyone that says he did well with manly are correct but he also had a very decent roster to coach.
I like Ryles though.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Cheika is leading the way with 39% on here.

That's a better percentage then Madge's NRL coaching record since 2014.

In all seriousness if Madge is appointed i will get behind him but i just dont like the appointment and think its just a bigger risk then other options out there. His style is not what we need right now.
We needed Madge in mid 2018, that ship has well and truly sailed. Hannay and Cheika I would be happy with. Not sure what Ryles has done to be so highly rated besides getting spat on by Martina in the coaches box.

King-Gutho94

Coach
We needed Madge in mid 2018, that ship has well and truly sailed. Hannay and Cheika I would be happy with. Not sure what Ryles has done to be so highly rated besides getting spat on by Martina in the coaches box.
Ryles played the ball when facing in the wrong direction there one day at Allianz against the Roosters.

I suppose it's one error and mistake he can teach our bunch of misfits to do. We have every other dumb mistake in the rugby league manual covered.

TheCrowe

Juniors
1/ Brian McDermott: Proven winner with diverse experience and skills while still being a hard nut. Newcastle players crediting him for turning around their defensive attitude.
2/ Cheika: Bit left field but I like the idea of rolling the dice if he brings quality assistance with him.
3/ Holbrook: Has had some time to reflect and learn from experiences.
4/ Hannay: Just because a lot of people associated with him speak highly of him.

chiefy1

Bench
1/ Brian McDermott: Proven winner with diverse experience and skills while still being a hard nut. Newcastle players crediting him for turning around their defensive attitude.
2/ Cheika: Bit left field but I like the idea of rolling the dice if he brings quality assistance with him.
3/ Holbrook: Has had some time to reflect and learn from experiences.
4/ Hannay: Just because a lot of people associated with him speak highly of him.

Brian McDermott Super league win rate - 57.6%
Michael Maguire Super league win rate - 75.71%

What does this tell you?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
My preferences:

I agree entirely with this.