What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheCrowe

Juniors
Brian McDermott Super league win rate - 57.6%
Michael Maguire Super league win rate - 75.71%

What does this tell you?
Is that you Mrs Maguire?
Tells me that Madge only coached in the SL for 2 seasons for starters but his last NRL job his win rate was 36%.
Tells me McDermott after a poor start at the Harlequin Rovers but went on to win 4 championships with Leeds.
Tells you that I can also use Google.

Last edited:

chiefy1

Bench
Is that you Mrs Maguire?
Tells me that Madge only coached in the SL for one season for starters but his last NRL job his win rate was 36%.
Tells me McDermott after a poor start at the Harlequin Rovers but went on to win 4 championships with Leeds.

Well you obviously can't use Google as Madge coached there for more than a season, in fact 70 matches winning 53 of those.
Next !

Look it's concerning that at both Wests & Souths, his win percentages declined year on year. That's definitely concerning. He's done ok with NZ and super league That's a positive, and there was a mass exodus just before he joined the tigs - Moses, Tedesco and others left the building. So it wasn't easy going there + the joint was a basket case.

Also the pool of coaches available isn't great. Risks with every candidate.
I'd love Billy, 1st choice, every man has his price, but it's a very long shot as his TV commitments & qld job suit his lifestyle atm..

Last edited:

chiefy1

Bench
Imagine the eels interviewing Chieka, & asking if he knew who Ethan Sanders was?
Cheika would most probably reply - Did somebody say KFC ?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Is that you Mrs Maguire?
Tells me that Madge only coached in the SL for 2 seasons for starters but his last NRL job his win rate was 36%.
Super League is pretty skewed like the EPL.

You have - Leeds, Wigan and St Helens as the big 3 who are constant winners.

The rest are making up the numbers.

A 55% winning record at clubs like Huddersfield, Hull KR or FC, Castleford, Warrington is probably the same as 70% at Wigan, St Helens, Leeds.

Who did Madge coach in the Super League for 2 years. Wigan one of the big 3.

He basically achieved what you would expect over there in a 2 year stint at a club like that.

Gronk

Staff member
We needed Madge in mid 2018, that ship has well and truly sailed. Hannay and Cheika I would be happy with. Not sure what Ryles has done to be so highly rated besides getting spat on by Martina in the coaches box.
I'm surprised that so many are on the bus driven by the rah rah coach. What has he done other than coach a minnow RLWC team. IIRC Lebanon went through to the 2021 WC qtr finals after beating Jamaica and Ireland.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I'm surprised that so many are on the bus driven by the rah rah coach. What has he done other than coach a minnow RLWC team. IIRC Lebanon went through to the 2021 WC qtr finals after beating Jamaica and Ireland.
Lebanon pushed the Kiwis in the group stage with a bunch of nobodies basically had only 5 x First Graders & they only lost 34-12.

And the Australian Quarter Final was 48-4 lets be honest the benchmark for the kangaroos against the minnows is 60-70+ point wins in world cups. Keeping them under 50 with the side Lebanon had was an extraordinary effort.

Cheika is a leader of men similar to Bennett with a big presence.

Cheika is also smart enough man to get right assistants to do the technical side of coaching and has the profile & gravitas to lure quality assistants.

chiefy1

Bench
Lebanon pushed the Kiwis in the group stage with a bunch of nobodies basically had only 5 x First Graders & they only lost 34-12.

And the Australian Quarter Final was 48-4 lets be honest the benchmark for the kangaroos against the minnows is 60-70+ point wins in world cups. Keeping them under 50 with the side Lebanon had was an extraordinary effort.

Cheika is a leader of men similar to Bennett with a big presence.

Cheika is also smart enough man to get right assistants to do the technical side of coaching and has the profile & gravitas to lure quality assistants.

Ok so we're talking about one match against Au that makes or breaks Chieka's job prospects at Parramatta. Another 10 points, and you're then saying he may not be worthy.

We're basically deciding the future of the Parramatta Eels club’s on two converted tries.
That's comforting to know.

Cloeel

Juniors

Says a lot about the other options.