What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters

TheCrowe

Juniors
Didn't he join last year? They had plenty of roster improvements from '22 to '23. Ponga, Fitzgibbon and Best played more than half a season, Crossland emerged as a hooking option, and strong defensive halves in Hastings and Gamble joined the club. Plus they brought in Hetherington and Elliott, who are very mobile.
Question was about this year. Injuries to their highest paid players as per usual. Not a top echelon team but they are punching above their weight (mostly). Very average roster.

Your comment was about something very different. Try to stay on topic without insinuations or personal attacks. You can do it.
Yeah, sure it was...

#Poudeflection

Soccer Fail GIF

TheRam

Coach
So if a club isn’t as good as Penrith they are shit? There’s a bunch of clubs with more revenue than Penrith that aren’t developing juniors at the same level. The Panthers’ recent success started with Gould and his cashed up mate Packer over a decade ago. We don’t have access to that type of resourcing and I doubt anyone has the patience to wait that long.

Stop distorting the facts Pou. Packers involvement with Gould and Penrith was to help get the Panthers out of the $10m red hole they were in at the time. It wasn't and isn't a perpetual and endless stream of cash resources that the Panthers are constantly sucking on for the benefit and advancement of their footy club.

The real advantage the Panthers have and the massive disadvantage we have compared to them is our loss of Matt Cameron which has been their absolute gain. Also we have hollowed out the quality managerial players that used to oversee the juniors as well. @Stagger eel knows the name of the guy/s. I can't remember and replaced them with lemons.

But our problem/s started once Brian Smith left by slowly dismantling everything that worked and we went for the Best and Less options in all categories from juniors to NRL level and we can all blatantly see what that has delivered...ZERO!

No quality juniors coming through now for so long even with the one two punch for a time of the best front row combination, arguably in the top 2 or 3 halves combination and a ferocious competitor fullback and we still couldn't win a trophy.

You need to be churning out juniors of quality or have such a star studded team of potential GOATS that within any 3 year cycle at your teams peak you will almost guarantee a Premiership.

We let ourselves down and in 2021-2022 which was probably our best chance window, we didn't have a brand new hungry and firing bull or two coming through that could compliment the 2 up front who were being thrashed by Potates each and every week. We also didn't have and any new fast and strong outside backs besides Penisini who is great but hasn't the speed that we need on the flanks or the ability to do the hard carries to start the sets like the better teams do with their wingers.

We had/have to rely on recruitment and well good luck with that and winning a premiership.

Glenneel

Bench
i hope its either Hannay or Ryles.

The sharks organisation seem to have such a good handle on how the game is played in 2024. plus the queensland origin set up is unmatched and word is billy really rates josh.

What can you say about the storm, the gold standard and a bit of time at the roosters. the perfect apprenticeship.
Got serious doubts about those 2. Know nothing about Hannay & Ryles has already turned down 1 coaching position so does he really have the cred to be a NRL coach? Could be another Stephen Kearney.

TheRam

Coach
I don’t think we’re poorly resourced at all. I’ve said this plenty of times. I think we’re better resourced than about half the clubs in the comp, maybe more. So I’d say we’re an above average resourced club with above average staff. This lines up with our results, which have been above average since the new board took over.

But above average doesn’t mean above average every single year. It means making the grand final sometimes and missing the finals X times in Y years. The question is what are the right numbers for X and Y? In a 17 team comp an average team should miss the finals 9 times in 17 years. We’re doing much better than that.

Described like a bean counter that doesn't have a clue as to what quality human resources bring to the table and how they don't track with your endless graphs, flowcharts and number crunching models you keep dribbling on about.

It's about people mofo...people!!!! Now get back into your bot cot and go to sleep you idiot!

Glenneel

Bench
How many multiple votes did Isaac Moses cast for Blake Green in that poll? :p
TBH like the idea of Cheika and McDermott. McDermott has runs on the board in SL as does Cheika in union. Both appear to have strong man management skills but will need to pick their assistants carefully and first pick needs to be a strong defensive coach. Hope board has a set of questions to ask looking at their holistic view of organisation from ground up.

TheRam

Coach
Cheika is filthy rich from his fashion business so will probably sign a deal for not a lot of money and put it all into a great team of assistants.
He will present the best all round package of a team of coaches and get the gig.

I feel the Parramatta new coach selection is like Schrodinger's cat in a box. So many great possibilities and potential of having wonder dust sprinkled on this club once again if we get it right.

But when we finally get there and open the box, we find that there was never even a cat inside but a fat stinking big sloppy steaming turd the cat left behind that just stinks the place out and everyone throws up with disgust as the smell wafts through our nostrils and into our brains memories forever.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Stop distorting the facts Pou. Packers involvement with Gould and Penrith was to help get the Panthers out of the $10m red hole they were in at the time. It wasn't and isn't a perpetual and endless stream of cash resources that the Panthers are constantly sucking on for the benefit and advancement of their footy club.
No but it was enough for them to build all the shit they have now. They finished building their self funded $22M facility eight years ago, while we are still waiting for ours to be completed. Facilities are a massive benefit in recruitment and retention, especially at the lower levels where remuneration isn’t yet life changing amounts.

Tmars

Juniors
Got serious doubts about those 2. Know nothing about Hannay & Ryles has already turned down 1 coaching position so does he really have the cred to be a NRL coach? Could be another Stephen Kearney.
Or he could be another Bellemy?
I think people forget, Bellemy, Bennett, Robinson, Jack Gibson were all rookie coaches at some point who got a start as a head coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Described like a bean counter that doesn't have a clue as to what quality human resources bring to the table and how they don't track with your endless graphs, flowcharts and number crunching models you keep dribbling on about.

It's about people mofo...people!!!! Now get back into your bot cot and go to sleep you idiot!
I agree humans are a resource. This is why I joke about bringing Politis to the club. He isn’t a resource you can hire. He belongs to the Roosters because he’s a fan. The Panthers have similar fans in their executive and benefactors. Souths have the likes of Crowe and Packer. Where are the equivalent high influence Eels fans who will help the club without being poached away like Matt Cameron? These are the resources we don’t have.