What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
Not really. I've made it clear I believe there are superclubs and we are not one of them. That doesn't mean we are minnows, like there has to be this dumb all-or-nothing binary. The only thing keeping some clubs even remotely competitive is the salary cap. But there are clearly some clubs able to consistently outperform the salary cap. We are clearly not one of them, and the only reason merkins give that we should be is that a handful of other clubs have managed it.

But those clubs are like that for a reason. Just saying they know how to blah blah blah doesn't take the thread far enough. Why do they have people who have this magic knowledge while other clubs don't? Which decision makers are missing from the majority of clubs that rarely make grand finals, and where do they get them from? Do you think there's this huge pool of geniuses in rugby league, just looking for a job opportunity?
I thought when you put a quote about your view of "resources" in your own sig, you weren't going to keep posting your repetitive but ever-changing vague waffle any more?

elvis duran explosion GIF

King-Gutho94

Coach
360 mentioned Brian McDermott is also on the shortlist, and that he used to coach Mark O’Neill which is where the connection is.

If he gets the job - I’m out.
Well he may fix our defence.

Newcastle went from 14th in defence in 2022 to 4th in 2023 when McDermott joined them.

And there currently in top 5 defence this year.

I am not a fan of appointing an Englishman who never played in the NRL but who do you point to the turnaround with the Knights Defence in the 18 months.

Has O'Brien all of sudden become a defensive guru. I think a big turnaround was McDermott getting there defence sorted and keeping them in games.

McDermott is not in my top 3 but looking at his credentials they aren't as bad as people may think.

If he was an Aussie there would be more support for him I reckon.

TheCrowe

Juniors
I don’t want anyone associated or with a personal relationship with our HoF, who should already be being sacked, let alone having a strong say in our who our next coach is.
McDermott has coached hundreds of players. I think you are massively overplaying his connection to MON.
He and Cheika are by far the most impressive candidates. We need strong leadership from proven winners.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No. They have a weaker roster then last year.
Didn't he join last year? They had plenty of roster improvements from '22 to '23. Ponga, Fitzgibbon and Best played more than half a season, Crossland emerged as a hooking option, and strong defensive halves in Hastings and Gamble joined the club. Plus they brought in Hetherington and Elliott, who are very mobile.

Gronk

Staff member
^^^^ Every article uses the word “reportedly”. They are all publishing each other’s thought bubbles. Is anything fact ?

If a coach gets an interview, I suspect that the manager will leak that.

As for who are the front runners, joining the dots speculation.

King-Gutho94

Coach
f**king Gould...

Everyone else is focussed on the coach, and who it will be.

In comes dickface with the, "They have other issues to sort out."

Shut the f**k up, you irrelevant twat.
It's a bit ridiculous journos asking a GM of a rival club of who should be coach of Parramatta.

Like seriously what motive does Gus have for us to be successful.

If anything he wants us down the bottom for a decade.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's a bit ridiculous journos asking a GM of a rival club of who should be coach of Parramatta.

Exactly.

It's not Gould's fault, per se.

But it's still such an asinine comment to make in the context of who will coach the club next.

Gronk

Staff member

No matter what comes out his mouth, you can be assured that it’s designed to be somehow to his benefit AND be vague enough so he can claim sometime in the future that he got it right.

King-Gutho94

Coach
No matter what comes out his mouth, you can be assured that it’s designed to be somehow to his benefit AND be vague enough so he can claim sometime in the future that he got it right.
Gus still thinks BA is the right man for the job here at Parra.

Sums up his agenda right there.

Gronk

Staff member
Gus still thinks BA is the right man for the job here at Parra.

Sums up his agenda right there.
He's projecting a persona of him being a great guy who never sacks coaches.

Of course that's true. Coaches aren't sacked, they are just stepping down because they are tired.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Managers for the coaches on the shortlist

Ryles - George Mimis
Hannay - Chris Orr
Maguire - Daniel Zammit
Barrett - Wayne Beavis ??? last known manager in 2021

Not sure who manages Cheika

Latest posts