What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King-Gutho94

Coach
I find it intriguing that Sarantinos when pressed on Cheika has actually been quoted talking about him

"He’s got a lot of experience and he’s obviously put forward his interest. He’d be a very interesting guy to have in the process and brings a point of difference that we’ll explore."

"We’re looking for someone who has had experience in winning programs and can come in and set up a high-performance culture"

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
so he was a bush coach?

I’ve got a good nickname for him if he gets the gig…
Apart from NSW cup, the Illawarra comp along with the Newcastle comp are the next 2 biggest comps in NSW......so bush comp if that's what you want to call it.....

Arbitaar1

Juniors
Going back to this Interview for the rlwc. Cheika speaks really well and despite not having coached much rugby league obviously loves and follows the game and has an understanding of it. I think he knows you need to support yourself with good staff and I believe he would do that immediately.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This is a nonsensical take. You don’t just get to hand wave away factors that are inconvenient.
It’s not ‘inconvenient’, it is literally out of anyone’s hands. Randomness is a factor in every match. Across a 24 game season it will add up to plus/minus up to two or three wins. You see it with our own results over the past decade. Some years we were lucky and some years we weren’t. It all comes out in the wash, but not in any given season.

A team that wins half its games with a points differential of roughly zero is an average team. That’s true whether it plays in the finals or finishes 11th.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wondering how much influence the players have in the decision? I remember from memory the players had a big say on BA taking over?
The senior players are among the highest paid, most influential people in the whole organisation. Of course they get a say.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I’m coming around to the Cheika idea.

Plenty will scoff at it and if it goes wrong the media will have an absolute field day with it, but he’s probably the closest thing to Wayne available in that he is older, has aura, wealth of experience and most known as a man manager.

Maybe he’s worth a 2 year play to see what he can do. If it doesn’t work there will always still be a rookie who is ready for a gig at that point.

My main concern is the dude has been living in Europe for some time, I have no doubts he knows the game well but how well? You are coming in against blokes who spend half their life watching video. Does he even still watch NRL weekly? I know he will have assistants but it does seem a big ask.

Anyways I’m going to back the swinging dicks that they go in open minded interview all these blokes and come to the right decision.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
11th is as good as 8th, or as bad as 13th... Let's just call the whole thing off and call it a cluster f**k.... No guilt, no blame just bad luck, no resources....
We're discussing teams that are neither the best nor the worst. What difference does another spot on the ladder make? Sneaking into eighth or even seventh is fun, but we're not talking about a premiership contender.

lucablight

First Grade
It’s not ‘inconvenient’, it is literally out of anyone’s hands. Randomness is a factor in every match. Across a 24 game season it will add up to plus/minus up to two or three wins. You see it with our own results over the past decade. Some years we were lucky and some years we weren’t. It all comes out in the wash, but not in any given season.

A team that wins half its games with a points differential of roughly zero is an average team. That’s true whether it plays in the finals or finishes 11th.
Maybe the NRL should extend a finals position to any team that wins your arbitrary number of allocated games rather than relying on rankings. Should be no problem since they’re essentially teams who are in equal standing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe the NRL should extend a finals position to any team that wins your arbitrary number of allocated games rather than relying on rankings. Should be no problem since they’re essentially teams who are in equal standing.
I actually think too many teams make the finals. I'd prefer a top five. It would give more credible finals matches. However, it would also mean fewer of them, and therefore less revenue. I'm sure some merkin at the NRL has considered a 16 team finals series.

Latest posts