What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Cheika

Votes: 23 23.7%

• Total voters

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Say what you like about the inmates running the asylum at our club but they have kept this whole process pretty tight lipped and the journo’s just have the shits it hasn’t leaked so are trying to make a story out of nothing.

To be honest I don’t mind seeing all the flog journos stewing waiting for an announcement. Who really gives a f**k who our coach is going to be now anyways. There aren’t any miracle workers available unfortunately, we are f**ked regardless who they pick.

Last edited:

Legal Eel

Juniors
I just can’t see how Lomax requests a release in the context of his reputation 1 it would be the second release in six months

Carayannis made a good point on 360 - he can’t think he undersold himself because he walked away from 850 guaranteed for the next two years already.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I just can’t see how Lomax requests a release in the context of his reputation 1 it would be the second release in six months

Carayannis made a good point on 360 - he can’t think he undersold himself because he walked away from 850 guaranteed for the next two years already.
Once the coach is sorted this will all quiet down.

Because we are still in limbo with no coach announced is the only reason this has all of sudden started hitting the media with pure speculation.

Your telling me the new coach wont ring Zac pretty quickly and re-assure what he wants to hear.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Once the coach is sorted this will all quiet down.

Because we are still in limbo with no coach announced is the only reason this has all of sudden started hitting the media with pure speculation.

Your telling me the new coach wont ring Zac pretty quickly and re-assure what he wants to hear.
They are trying to convince us that BA was the only person who had any discussions with Zac yet when his manager requested a change of coach clause, it was rejected yet he still signed. Then again the coach clause may be more speculation by the media so who the f*uk knows.

Yep, its Brian Smith!
This was not supposed to be prophecy.

Veteran coach Brian Smith has made a shock pitch to return as head coach of Parramatta.
Smith, who coached the Eels on 243 occasions between 1997 and 2006, feels he has unfinished business. The 70-year-old joined Josh Hannay, Jason Ryles, Dean Young and Trent Barrett in attempting to become the long-term replacement for Brad Arthur.

Given that former Bulldogs and Sea Eagles head coach Barrett is expected to be overlooked, the three rookies were expected to contest the post. However, this masthead can reveal that Smith secretly entered the mix, providing Parramatta powerbrokers with a point of difference in their search.
Smith, the third-most experienced NRL coach in history with 601 appearances, was keen to add to the tally. Still a respected figure after his service to the club, he was given the opportunity to present his vision for Parramatta’s future.

The former Steelers, Dragons, Eels, Knights and Roosters mentor felt he could get the best out of the current side, which sits in last position. In a lengthy meeting with Parramatta powerbrokers, he outlined his blueprint, which included bringing the club’s former physical performance manager, Hayden Knowles, back into the fold.
Only last year, Arthur surpassed Smith as Parramatta’s most-capped coach. At the time, Smith told this masthead: “Fantastic; that’s great for him. Any coach that goes that distance with one club, it’s an outstanding achievement.”
Brian Smith during his Parramatta coaching days.

Brian Smith during his Parramatta coaching days.CREDIT:FAIRFAX

During that interview, he also reflected about his own experiences at the club, stating: “You go through some phases with that, with the expectation. Traditionally, Parramatta has been a club with a lot of resources and I was excited with my opportunity when I went there. It was a great opportunity and I loved it most of the time.”
Smith still has a burning desire to win a premiership, the one prize that has eluded him throughout his career. He oversaw grand final appearances with the Dragons in 1992 and 1993 and the Roosters in 2010, but the biggest lament was an Eels defeat in the “unloseable” 2001 decider.

Advertisement

A successful return to Parramatta would allow Smith to reclaim the mantle as Parramatta’s most-capped coach. However, sources with knowledge of the situation, not authorised to speak publicly, have told this masthead that club officials are poised to overlook Smith.
While Smith is held in high regard for all that he achieved during his decade in charge of the club, Arthur’s long-time successor will be one of Ryles, Hanny and Young.
Brian Smith consoles his Eels players after their loss to Newcastle in the 2001 grand final.

Brian Smith consoles his Eels players after their loss to Newcastle in the 2001 grand final.CREDIT:STEVE CHRISTO

While there was an expectation that the successful candidate would be informed immediately after Thursday’s clash against South Sydney, a final decision could still be up to a week away.
The Eels are continuing to do their due diligence on the contenders. Zac Lomax, like the current members of the squad, is eager to know who will be appointed, but there is no suggestion that he won’t honour his Parramatta contract.

Eels chief executive Jim Sarantinos addressed the team’s underperformance – and the coaching situation – in a recent letter to members.
“Our NRL on-field performance this season has been disappointing and well below expectations,” Sarantinos said.
“We know it’s not what you expect from us, and it’s certainly not what we expect from ourselves. We understand your disappointment, and we share it.
“I can assure you that the current coaches and playing group are committed to turning things around. They’re putting in the hard yards at training, and their desire to win is undeniable …

“We’re currently in the midst of a comprehensive process to appoint a new head coach. This is a critical appointment, and we’re taking the time to ensure we appoint the right person – someone who embodies our values, will establish the right culture and can lead our football program into a new era.”

Latest posts