What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As the day draws nearer, us kindly visitors especially @blue bags and I have made it down to base camp and are packing up our gear.

Obviously a few blue and gold stripey socks have made their way into our sleeping bags.

They’ll be a hot bovril at Kathmandu for us and although we didn’t summit, thanks to him losing our ice picks, we are better for the attempt.

All there is for us is to join the sack …………(insert name here) before he actually starts.

A little trick we learnt after Hook got the job.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Under Brian Smith, we always looked the complete footy team.

Under Brian Smith, we regularly made Finals footy.

Under Brian Smith, we jagged high-quality big-names, such as Glenn Morrison, Timana Tahu, Jim Dymock....

Under Brian Smith, we developed quality juniors into world-calibre players - Nathan Hindmarsh, Jamie Lyon...hell, even Moodie, and Hodgson, played for NSW, and Vaealiki was a regular for New Zealand.

His only weakness was not being able to get the side mentally prepared for a Grand Final - something which has haunted him for years.

Bring him home - let him finish his story.
I agree he's a coaching genius but I don't think his problem was with mental preparation. It was that his teams lacked the leadership required to keep it together in big games. We know of a couple of high profile leaders who chose to sit out rather than play for Smith, so the best explanation for Smith's teams lacking leadership was that he pushed them away. This is his fatal flaw, IMO. But the man is a genius. That 2001 side wasn't even in the top four of squads for talent, yet his tactical genius made them dominate all year.

Pazza

First Grade
I agree he's a coaching genius but I don't think his problem was with mental preparation. It was that his teams lacked the leadership required to keep it together in big games. We know of a couple of high profile leaders who chose to sit out rather than play for Smith, so the best explanation for Smith's teams lacking leadership was that he pushed them away. This is his fatal flaw, IMO. But the man is a genius. That 2001 side wasn't even in the top four of squads for talent, yet his tactical genius made them dominate all year.

That 01 side had a ridiculous amount of talent

Suitman

Post Whore
Bullshit or just wrong? He won five straight in 2020 and again in 2021. He won six straight in 2017.

What you posted as wrong and bullshit may very well be correct.
What is also correct is that BA won nothing but a spoon and has led our club into the shite fight we are now in and our last placed position.
Geez, imagine having 11 years as the boss, eventually being sacked and seeing the club being wooden spoon contenders.
What an achievement!!

Stevie

Bench
As the day draws nearer, us kindly visitors especially @blue bags and I have made it down to base camp and are packing up our gear.

Obviously a few blue and gold stripey socks have made their way into our sleeping bags.

They’ll be a hot bovril at Kathmandu for us and although we didn’t summit, thanks to him losing our ice picks, we are better for the attempt.

All there is for us is to join the sack …………(insert name here) before he actually starts.

A little trick we learnt after Hook got the job.
I’ll say it again. Why the f**k are you on about?

Avenger

Immortal
What is also correct is that BA won nothing but a spoon and has led our club into the shite fight we are now in and our last placed position.
Geez, imagine having 11 years as the boss, eventually being sacked and seeing the club being wooden spoon contenders.
What an achievement!!
In the end he left the club worse, at best on par to when he started. I never want him associated with this club again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There will SFA on the market by the time we make a decision to trade players in or out.

Lane, Matterson & Paulo are the major worries who have contracts post 2025.
Mate it is July, and from our top 17 we only have Simonsson off contract for 2025 (and already replaced by Lomax). What incentives do we have for any of the others to leave? Blokes in their thirties don't care if they have to see their careers out in reserve grade. It's not the age they want to be taking pay cuts.

Stevie

Bench
Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t Arthur the “defence man” from Manly? Maybe my mind tricking me but when he first started I thought our improvement came from defence?
Happy to be proven wrong btw.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If, and by all rumours/ media spouting it appears the case, that it’s going to be coaching newbie, then I think I’d go with Ryles. Reason being he actually won the job at the Dragons (and knocked it back). More importantly though the Storm see him as Bellamy’s successor. The Dragons and the Storm have enough faith in him, that’s good enough for me.
I agree. Heuristics like this are often the best information we have.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What an achievement!!
We were consecutive wooden spooners when he took over, so it’s not like he’s left us in worse position than he found it.

Latest posts