What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Also I doubt he is going to bring any of Storm's top backline talent. Storm aren't going to release anyone

However I reckon Wishart would be perfect for us, it's what we are missing, that quality utility that can play several positions. He could probably get a starting hooker spot with us while also providing halves coverage.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Obviously our backline depth needs fixing!

But I reckon Ryles, won't be thinking about cutting any players yet (except maybe Sivo, which is already happening) until he has had the opportunity to "coach" them first.

Yeah some have been in poor form, but most of our top 17 or so players do have the ability.

I say he will back himself first to get them into form before making any big decisions.
Whilst I agree, Sivo, Paulo, Lane and Lussick have shown nothing for 2 years. If hes the man for the job Im sure hes done his homework. Get rid of them while there is still some idiot coach looking at highlight reels.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Reckon Barrett is a fair chance of staying. Most rookies have an experienced assistant. And while Barrett hasn't been a great head coach, he has a fair bit of experience and been a very good assistant. Him and Ryles are mates.

Don't think it would be the worse opinion.

84 Baby

Referee
Obviously our backline depth needs fixing!

But I reckon Ryles, won't be thinking about cutting any players yet (except maybe Sivo, which is already happening) until he has had the opportunity to "coach" them first.

Yeah some have been in poor form, but most of our top 17 or so players do have the ability.

I say he will back himself first to get them into form before making any big decisions.
I reckon you’re half right. I think he’d err on side of being able to coach them back, but if there’s opportunity/benefit in getting rid of a couple, I reckon we will. I don’t think he’ll come in with any attachment to any of them.

84 Baby

Referee
You're the only one who legitimately called it mate.

video game winner GIF by Children's Miracle Network Hospitals's Miracle Network Hospitals
Ahem.
And if Young comes down as assistant, you’re going to look very silly

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Whilst I agree, Sivo, Paulo, Lane and Lussick have shown nothing for 2 years. If hes the man for the job Im sure hes done his homework. Get rid of them while there is still some idiot coach looking at highlight reels.
Sivo I reckon needs to go and we are shopping him around.

I agree Paulo/Lane haven't been in great form but both have ability. Ryles wouId back himself to turn it around.

And I really don't get why we wouId want to move Lussick on, unless he is on stupid money which doubt. We need depth at hooker, which we finally have. Lussick isn't terrible and is fine as a depth option.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon you’re half right. I think he’d err on side of being able to coach them back, but if there’s opportunity/benefit in getting rid of a couple, I reckon we will. I don’t think he’ll come in with any attachment to any of them.
Definitely won't have any attachment, but some seem to think moving players on is so easy. It creates cap issues etc.

Plus simply moving players on without giving them the opportunity can create a lot of tension within a squad etc etc.

I reckon, there will be some movement in our backs. Forwards will stay fairly similar for next year. Then based on our first 8 weeks or so form, we will see what players Ryles wants gone.

And my early prediction is RCG may extend for a year, Matterson will take up his PO (and be a Ryles favourite). Offa will stay. Lane won't take up PO and will retire or look for an overseas deal. While Paulo will be told he is free to leave. Drown will stay. Gutho will go to Perth with BA to play in the halves.

yy_cheng

Coach
Paulo. "But my foots still sore!"
Lane. "I dont think this is a sound physiological program!"
Lussick. "Can I team up with Gutho"?
Sivo. "Can I just lift the weights?"
Russell. "Is there a rope involved?"
Carty. "Do I need to bring a bag?"

Jnr: i need to goto maccas

Legal Eel

Juniors
Because roster management is just like supercoach right?
I don't think anyone is suggesting it is.

However , some on here (granted, not you but perhaps those you agree with) would suggest that no one can be blamed for roster mismanagement as it is an inevitability caused by "salary cap" and "resources".

I would suggest that there are indeed moves that will be explored before the start of next season and they may surround a winger, second rower and prop and some younger replacements...

I don't think anyone is suggesting it is.

However , some on here (granted, not you but perhaps those you agree with) would suggest that no one can be blamed for roster mismanagement as it is an inevitability caused by "salary cap" and "resources".

I would suggest that there are indeed moves that will be explored before the start of next season and they may surround a winger, second rower and prop and some younger replacements...
I think we can worry about some roster management; I don't disagree that it has been poor especially with relation to our backs and not just for this year but for the last 3 years, that is not cap or resources that is decisions.

I am more saying people expecting us to move on players wholesale, I think you will find the entire roster will be on notice, and those failing to perform next year won't be asked back in '26 if your deal ends next year. I don't think we are going to tell anyone who has a deal at the club for '25 to pack their bags anytime soon.

Legal Eel

Juniors
I think we can worry about some roster management; I don't disagree that it has been poor especially with relation to our backs and not just for this year but for the last 3 years, that is not cap or resources that is decisions.

I am more saying people expecting us to move on players wholesale, I think you will find the entire roster will be on notice, and those failing to perform next year won't be asked back in '26 if your deal ends next year. I don't think we are going to tell anyone who has a deal at the club for '25 to pack their bags anytime soon.
I think the goal is to have a streamlined squad to coincide with the cap space in 2026 as your post suggests.

But I believe (and also hope) that there are moves already in place for Paulo and Sivo and I fervently hope that Lane is shopped.