What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gronk

Staff member
I wouldn't say it's drivel - this club has been starved of success for 4 decades, and whoever ended up taking the role would have had a lot of pressure on them to convert the team to a Finals threat again.
New Parramatta coach can’t afford to fail ? How stupid. All he can do is prepare the team, put together a decent roster and point them in the right direction.

Bellamy said that it’s not hard to make the semis. The difference between making the semis and winning the comp is huge however and you rely on no significant injuries, no off field disruptions and the other teams simply not being better at it than you.

Everyone knows that we are in drought, but you only need to look at our 01, 05, 09, 22 seasons to see it’s bloody hard to win a comp.

If merkins are going to apply a benchmark of success on Ryles to win a comp or it’s a fail, then they are only adding an extra mountain to climb, which is setting him up for a fail.

Incorrect

Coach
There wouldn't be a rugby league coach on the planet who wouldn't be aware of the premiership drought the Eels are currently in the midst of. They know it when accepting the role - surely it's a challenge, not a potential failure to be feared. If Ryles doesn't break the drought, well he's not on his Pat Malone...

Gronk

Staff member
Jason Demetriou is on the Monday Scrum pod and he talks about the BA years, the Board and how attractive coaching the eels is to any coach.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Ritchies columns have got worse is that’s possible, Crawley, Ritchie and Hooper are now in a photo finish for who’s the biggest Media dribbler.
Bullflog Ritchie can only write dribble talking to old players from the 70s, 80s, 90s.

90% of his articles are rent a quotes from cranky ex-footballers to stir up in the media.

He doesn't deal with the current crop of players.

If i was doing a podium of the 3 muppets you mentioned.

I would give
Gold Medal Muppet - James "Car Whacking Bonnet" Hooper
Silver Medal Muppet - Dean "Bullflog" Ritchie
Bronze Medal Muppet - Paul "Whinger" Crawley

While Phil "Buzz Biden" Rothfield is probably lucky he doesn't get a start there maybe he deserves a platinum muppet medal.

Stagger eel

Staff member
"There was also an informal conversation with a currently contracted NRL head coach that didn’t get off the ground."

Is this the North QLD Coach @Avenger

the whisper I heard yesterday from someone close to thew action was that after Uncle Wayne had knocked us back we pretty much offered the role to someone else currently connected at another club and they decided to styay where they were, he then changed his mind a few weeks later and wanted to apply but was told that he would no longer be in the running as they were too deep in negs with Ryles and Hannay.

it reminded me of the Jason Taylor style sliding door moment.

DaveMc

Juniors
"There was also an informal conversation with a currently contracted NRL head coach that didn’t get off the ground."

Is this the North QLD Coach @Avenger
I found this part interesting, suggests there really was a disconnect between Arthur and the board:

“However, there has long been a belief within the Parramatta organisation that a disconnect between the football team and the club was holding them back.

Ryles’ homework, if as thorough as we are led to believe, would’ve discovered that well before Mitchell Moses’ post-game tirade after the Knights game a week ago highlighted it.

It’s a culture the Eels privately believe has been allowed to fester under the siege coaching mentality of Arthur, and a realignment of the club’s culture and standards was imperative in their search for his successor.”

EelEtric

Juniors
I found this part interesting, suggests there really was a disconnect between Arthur and the board:

“However, there has long been a belief within the Parramatta organisation that a disconnect between the football team and the club was holding them back.

Ryles’ homework, if as thorough as we are led to believe, would’ve discovered that well before Mitchell Moses’ post-game tirade after the Knights game a week ago highlighted it.

It’s a culture the Eels privately believe has been allowed to fester under the siege coaching mentality of Arthur, and a realignment of the club’s culture and standards was imperative in their search for his successor.”
"The club" doesn't necessarily mean"the board". There are a lot of moving parts within any organisation.

Avenger

Immortal