What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels open door for disgraced Sharks boss

strider

Post Whore
I can't say with any certainty whether he's bad or not - but I'll be very disappointed with our new board if they were to sign him up any time in the near future - zapps has alot of work to do to restore his reputation

Craig Johnston

First Grade
i think spagnolo's compassion for zap will result in zap coming back in some role, even if it's not the top job.

Jodeci

Bench
I find it funny how people believe that Hilly is instantly right for the job based on 2 signings..

As for Zap? well......Roy has opened the door, to apply for the job.

interesting to see what happens from here.

Spot on Stags

People read the articles regarding the signing of Poore and Shacks and Andrew Hill who is acting as General Manager has to make the comments/statements.

Those two signings were purely Roy's work. He fled to Melbourne to continue the talks he had started with Poore and got him

Craig Johnston

First Grade
spagnolo flew to melbourne during origin to meet poore. his relationship with the players would also had something to do with hindy and hayne getting in poore's ear

-edit- lol 1 minute too late. what he said. ;)

AlexTheEel

Juniors
I think Tony has some penance to pay. Even if it was "just one mistake" the whole situation and the aftermath just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Sometimes I belive denials and suggestions of fabrication can ruin your reputation further. A simple apology and admital could have at least shown he was remorseful and whilst it may not have saved him I think it would have increased his crediibility.

I dont think his career in league is over and if he can make up for this everyone can be forgiven but I dont think it would be a smart move to offer him the position of CEO in the immediate future.

Gronk

Staff member
if he applies and if he is the best candidate...Yes.

If he is the best candidate then we are in trouble IMO. Not saying that he is a bad person or administrator, but he comes with massive baggage. We don't need the media attention right now.

strider

Post Whore
another day - another story ... too much mud on zapps

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/bjacquelin-magnayb/2009/06/11/1244664795876.html
Hall says CEO left her exposed to violent threats

FRESH claims about the deteriorating relationship between the Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia and former employee Jenny Hall centred on an alleged breach of trust.
The Herald can reveal the final straw in the work relationship between the two - that prompted Hall to formally set in motion a sexual-harassment claim against Zappia last November - occurred when Zappia allegedly left Hall vulnerable to threats of physical violence by a third party.
Last night, Zappia resigned as chief executive as the Sharks board was due to consider his future after an internal club investigation and responses from Zappia's legal counsel concerning the accidental punch and its aftermath.
But the Herald can reveal there had been a series of incidents leading up to the formal sexual-harassment complaint, including the accidental punch that left Hall with a severely infected black eye and the ensuing tape recording that was broadcast last Sunday by Channel Seven.
Hall had detailed in writing to the club that Zappia had called her a stripper, that he made a sexual reference to her about "a handy", and that he made comments about her bottom being exposed when she bent over.
But the tipping point happened in late October and early November last year. Hall told the Herald she was wrongly accused of being caught in the middle of a player contract negotiation. She claims Zappia told a player manager that information a female colleague had provided about the player to the club was a reason the club decided not to offer a contract to the player.
Hall became aware of this when she started to receive serious threats of violence from associates of the player. She was upset at being threatened and that she had been used as an excuse to not sign the player.
Zappia denied talking about a female colleague to the player manager when Hall confronted him about it. However, while Zappia was in the same room, Hall said she contacted the player and on speaker phone asked him directly if Zappia had given her name to him. The player allegedly said Zappia had told both himself and his manager about the "female colleague" at the Sharks.
Hall said in the conversation that followed Zappia denied what the player had said and accused the player of lying or that Hall had set him up.
Hall then claims Zappia said he would phone the player and tell him that Hall had said other things about him. Hall then accused Zappia of being a grub and unethical. This tit-for-tat exchange occurred in the football offices at the Sharks, and much of it was witnessed by a third person, Hall said.

Stagger eel

Staff member
If he is the best candidate then we are in trouble IMO. Not saying that he is a bad person or administrator, but he comes with massive baggage. We don't need the media attention right now.

yeah, you could be right.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Spagnolo is a mate and Parramatta dont wish to be involved in bad press. You can see it now. "PARRAMARRA REJECTs SPANKY ZAPPIA".
Its just all politics.
Spagnolo is a mate (or former mate) and he simply does not want to be implicated with any denegrade coments. Sounds like a smart cookie to me.
Im sure even Michael Hagan COULD apply. Does not mean they would get the job.
Just the press looking for a sensational headline I reckon and Spagnolo was smart enough not to give it to them.

Fan Since 1964
Gazzamatta

SDM

First Grade
Eyes darting around, sweaty, confused, absolutely full of crap.

Why the hell would we want Denis number 2. If they appoint this bloke, its time for change again, bring on 4p.:sarcasm:

I have a weird feeling about this.

Listening to Zaps on the Big Sports Breakfast this morning I think he handled himself well. But as a number of people are saying here and as the compares of the show said Mud Sticks and one wonders if Zaps can find a place in the game at the moment. Zaps said he was going to back away from the game for a while and that he didn't know about Roy's Backing of him that has appeared in the Herald.

I just think if Zaps goes to ground all this will stop, eventually, but if he springs up somewhere again, I get the feeling these skeletons are not alone, even if he has done nothing wrong the negative press might well follow.

Stagger eel

Staff member

Why the hell would we want Denis number 2. If they appoint this bloke, its time for change again, bring on 4p.:sarcasm:

Dennis number 2????...when was the last time Dennis was accused of assult and harrasment????

fmd! give him a break :roll:

Hmmm Zap is part of the Parramatta family, id welcome him back with open arms.

I don't particular see the comparisons to DF would you care to elaborate SDM?

strider

Post Whore

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SDM

First Grade
Dennis number 2????...when was the last time Dennis was accused of assult and harrasment????

fmd! give him a break :roll:

I was comparing the poor media skills. Although I think Denis did it intentionally.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I find it amazing the amount of people who are influenced by this media beat up of what happened some time ago, despite whether the incident was reported accurately or not and are prepared to forget all the good things he has achieved.

So easily influenced by the media.

The Colonel

Immortal
With things on the improve at the club, the time isn't right at this point in time to bring Zap back into the club given the media scrutiny he is facing even if he is the best candidate.