What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels open door for disgraced Sharks boss

fish eel

Immortal
who generated what fishy ?

how long was he there for ? his negative headlines were one incident in the last few months of his tenure

he wasn't responsible for the other incidents caused by the current and past players

he wasn't there 7 years ago

There were stories about this punch last year.

The negative headlines weren't just about these incidents.

They were also about the clubs future. Stories about it folding - stories, like it or not, that came out on Zappia's watch.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

They were also about the clubs future. Stories about it folding - stories, like it or not, that came out on Zappia's watch.

you mean similar to the team list and salary cap problems caused by Hages on DA's watch ?

Gronk

Staff member

Agree. Part of the CEO's job is to put out spot fires so as to ensure that they don't escalate into a media frenzy. It's clear that he was pretty ordinary at that.

Jodeci

Bench
who generated what fishy ?

how long was he there for ? his negative headlines were one incident in the last few months of his tenure

he wasn't responsible for the other incidents caused by the current and past players

he wasn't there 7 years ago

Zaps did what Sticky asked him to do. He signed Barrett, Toupo, Hughes just like the coach asked him to.

He also released the players that Sticky didn't want.

He was there for the Bird case and terminated his contract as any CEO would do.

The Sharks dont even have a Marketing team....

They had no money and still dont have it due to their poor performances and support at the Shire.

Once they get this development up, they will be cashed up

fish eel

Immortal
you mean similar to the team list and salary cap problems caused by Hages on DA's watch ?

No. Stories about the club not existing. About the NRL wanting to see their books etc.

We've got a real opportunity to do great things at our club now.

There's an opportunity for us to become leaders by getting some real quality people to run the joint. No need to go for someone who has had one CEO job and failed.

Suitman

Post Whore
There's an opportunity for us to become leaders by getting some real quality people to run the joint. No need to go for someone who has had one CEO job and failed.

Exactly. The place actually "feels good" at the moment.

I'd hate to lose the momentum at this point by an appointment that could hold that back.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
<H1>Humphreys' son to become new chief of Tigers
Glenn Jackson | June 12, 2009

IT IS said that nothing happened at Balmain without the consultation of Kevin Humphreys. And now, nothing will happen at Wests Tigers without the word of his son, Stephen, who will be the new chief executive of the merged club.
As one club loses its chief executive in disgrace, another has found a candidate that oozes nostalgia. Stephen Humphreys, a former Balmain player turned successful businessman, has beaten a field that included English football bosses as well as the former state Liberal Party leader, John Brogden, for the position.
Stephen played fullback for the Tigers, but after retirement was hugely successful in the airline industry. He worked for British Airways but most recently has been the managing director of tourism company the Stella Group in New Zealand. Humphreys has commuted to Auckland every Sunday, returning to Sydney on Fridays, to hold that position.
"I would think there's two things bringing him back. One is his family. The other is the club that his family loves," a family friend said last night. "To think he's following his father's footsteps is bloody marvellous."
His father, Kevin, is one of the game's most revered administrators, at Balmain as well as the NSWRL, although he was forced to resign as head of the latter after the airing of corruption allegations involving the former NSW premier Neville Wran on the Four Corners program in 1983. In its bitter aftermath, the late Murray Farquhar became the first Australian magistrate to be convicted and sentenced in a criminal court after being found guilty of attempting to pervert the course of justice and sentenced to four years' jail for attempting to influence magistrate Kevin Jones to discharge Humphreys in committal proceedings in 1977.
The Four Corners story, by Chris Masters, also provided an expose of Humphreys's gambling debts to the Balmain Leagues Club.
Kevin Humphreys remains a life member of the club, and was visionary enough during his time as an official of the game to be the instigator, along with the late Queensland senator Ron McAuliffe, of the State of Origin series. Humphreys also spoke emotionally at the vote that led to the merger of Balmain and Western Suburbs.
His son will lead the Tigers in less turbulent times, however the club has had little success on the field since their premiership win in 2005.
The Tigers hired a headhunting firm to seek candidates for the position vacated by Scott Longmuir in April after a bitter spat with staff members, including coach Tim Sheens, and senior players including halfback Benji Marshall. Humphreys will inherit some factionalism within the club from the Balmain and Wests sides of the merger, the best example of which came with the club employing acting chief executives after Longmuir quit.

Humphreys will take over from Tim Camiller, the boss of Balmain Leagues Club, and Andy Timbs, general manager of the Western Suburbs Leagues Club in Ashfield.
Humphreys, though, also has support from those who bleed black and white rather than black and gold, bringing both brain and rugby league brawn to the position.
While the Tigers had been prepared to look well outside rugby league, their best candidate was one of their own, a gutsy fullback with one of the game's most famous surnames.
The appointment of Humphreys is expected to be confirmed in the next 48 hours. He has beaten executives with the Coventry City and Fulham football clubs in Britain, as well as Brogden, who resigned from the leadership of the state Liberal Party in 2005.
There were also suggestions of interest from Manly chief executive Grant Mayer as well as the former Sydney FC boss George Perry.
Humphreys impressed many influential league characters, including former Tiger Keith Barnes and Immortal John Raper, at a lunch hosted by John Singleton for his ailing father earlier this year.
It will be a welcome boost for Kevin, who remains in a Drummoyne nursing facility after suffering two strokes, as well as his wife Joan, who cares for him religiously each day.
</H1>
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...1244664795879.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

We really should be chasing these guys if the club are really serious. If the interest is there with the Wests Tigers than surely they'll also be interested in the Parramatta. I'm not sold on the fact that amongst those names that Zappia would be the best candidate.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No. Stories about the club not existing. About the NRL wanting to see their books etc.

We've got a real opportunity to do great things at our club now.

who said he failed ?

Zaps did what Sticky asked him to do. He signed Barrett, Toupo, Hughes just like the coach asked him to.

He also released the players that Sticky didn't want.

He was there for the Bird case and terminated his contract as any CEO would do.

The Sharks dont even have a Marketing team....

They had no money and still dont have it due to their poor performances and support at the Shire.

Once they get this development up, they will be cashed up

I certainly wouldn't call that a failure

Jodeci

Bench
I think it was actually hill that signed them..

I think your right

I remember all of us whinging about the money we gave them and how the players managers held our club to ransom......

Because we had no one who could or knew how to get the deal done

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Should the Eels fans - as a group - make their feelings known about Zaps coming to Parra?

If we feel that strongly against it - perhaps some sort of a formal plea with the club would alert them to how we feel?

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
sorry Suity - just suggested the same thing as you *always read second page before you post*

SDM

First Grade
Should the Eels fans - as a group - make their feelings known about Zaps coming to Parra?

If we feel that strongly against it - perhaps some sort of a formal plea with the club would alert them to how we feel?

Either that, or just encouraging people to individually send emails in to the club if they do not agree with him being welcomed to apply for the job.

strider

Post Whore
that should be all that matters, considering he has been cleared of any wrong doing or anything illegal

or perhaps some people may want a P R man who will run the club into to ground, financially

cleared? by who? a club who is desperate to distance themselves from more shenanigans going on inside their club? ... hardly cleared in my eyes

I agree this is probably being blown up by yet another media witch hunt - but it seems Zapps needs to take a good hard look at the way he acts around his own staff .... what might be intended as jokes depends VERY MUCH on the receiver of the joke ... seems to me zaps has a certain sense of humour which might not necessarily go down well with everyone - also seems he likes his bit of power and tries to exert some pressure when pressed, which probably is good in certain situations in business, but used in the wrong context its a bit dangerous and in this case its come back to bight him

I'm 100% with Strides, Suit and Fish.

Friends or no friends to Tony Zappia, I think it would be really sad for fans of the club having to email/petition to make it abundantly clear that this would be a move backwards. I cannot for the life of me see any benefit in having him back and I hope the people in charge are smart enough to realise that.

Last edited:

Latest posts