What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels ready to unleash: Anderson

Gronk

Staff member
Eels ready to unleash: Anderson
Ben Blaschke
NRL.com

It has been a week from hell at Parramatta but under-siege coach Daniel Anderson says his side is only 40 minutes away from putting their opposition to the sword.

The Eels slumped to their second consecutive loss against St George Illawarra last Friday night, just days after veteran halfback Brett Finch walked out on the club, with Anderson forced into a major backline reshuffle that has failed to fix their point-scoring problems.

After five rounds, the star-studded Eels boast the second-worst attack in the competition and could manage just a single try for the second week running in their 22-8 loss to the Dragons.

But rather than criticise his side’s lack of flair, Anderson says his charges will turn the corner sooner rather than later and refused to rule out a finals berth.

“Despite what some people have said, I think the boys are more motivated than ever to do well and they are comfortable in the positions they are now playing in,” Anderson told NRL.com.

“What we need to do now is refine our execution and make it all a lot more clinical.

“We still have a tendency to go for the big plays and overplay it. We try too hard and go for the big play instead of relaxing and letting the game open for us.

“But our attitude was there for everyone to see on Friday.

“We are a team that needs to take our opportunities but that will come in time.”

The Eels were left ruing a slew of early chances that went begging against St George Illawarra last week, namely an offload from Krisnan Inu that failed to find an unmarked Taulima Tautai and a bizarre play by Tautai when he leaped highest to catch a bomb but chose to bat the ball back rather than catch it, despite finding himself unchallenged in the air.

Parramatta’s attack has been widely criticised following their efforts against the Dragons but Anderson said the entire result could have been different had just one of those chances been taken.

“If you get one result from instances like that in the run of the score, it changes the dynamic of the game,” he said.

“It doesn’t mean you are granted the two points but I think that if we take some opportunities we will feel rewarded and confident – then you get braver as the game goes on.

“Our opposition was obviously very classy and they did what was needed to win the game but I would have liked us to take an opportunity or two to put a bit more pressure on them.

“We had some very serious chances to post points and I think we will feel good about ourselves when we do start to take them.

“At the moment we are a team that is second-guessing themselves.

“But you build confidence and when you do so, you’re away.”

Asked if it was simply a case of the Eels ‘clicking’, Anderson replied: “I don’t know if you just click.

“I’m not sure if that will ever happen but what will more than likely happen is that they will work hard, like they did on Friday night, but they will be rewarded for that effort.

“Where the ball bounces, such as when St George Illawarra scored their (second) try, we’ll be the first one to the ball next time and maybe in the next set we will be the ones rewarded instead.

“That’s what I mean – I don’t think it’s going to go ‘click’ and we’re away, we need to scrap and fight for the little momentum changes in the game on the back of the effort that we put in.

“Then the confidence will come.”

Anderson said his players remained in high spirits despite the events of the past week.

“I spoke to them briefly after the game and we pulled up okay at recovery,” he said.

“Physically we were a little bit banged up but the players were a lot more pleased with their efforts than the week before.”
http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=54436

yy_cheng

Coach
We still need a good kicking game as shown by Soward and the other teams over the weekend.

We need to sustain pressure with repeated sixes.

I still think we need a experenced halfback. We are always looking to some junior to come thru and be the next sterlo. We put all our eggs in one basket with Michael Witt and then again with Tim Smith and both times it failed. A player like a Brett Kimorley or a Matt Head or even Nathan Fien who have played plenty of 1st grade not only balance the team better but also help the young ones coming thru which both Witt and Smith got no help in that area.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You don't need a world-beating halfback. You just need one player in the halves who can switch it on when needed.

The 2002 Roosters had Fitler and Wing, I think. I don't think Wing would rate as THAT good a halfback. But they had Fitler who pulled off a 40/20 when needed and tore them a new one.

If we can develop a good combo we'll be sweet.

Well we need a decent kicking game for starters and we don't have one.
A decent halfback would give us that.

spiderdan

Bench
namely an offload from Krisnan Inu that failed to find an unmarked Taulima Tautai
i coulda sworn it was the other way around. they mentioned it in commentary and i was sure inu was running down the flank and tautai's offload missed the mark. the commentators called inu tautai as well....

maybe i need to watch it again to be sure....

mickdo

Coach
i coulda sworn it was the other way around. they mentioned it in commentary and i was sure inu was running down the flank and tautai's offload missed the mark. the commentators called inu tautai as well....

Yeah, I think you're right

SDM

First Grade
MK seems to create gaps with his dummys, but he is too slow to get through them.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I still think we need a experenced halfback. We are always looking to some junior to come thru and be the next sterlo. We put all our eggs in one basket with Michael Witt and then again with Tim Smith and both times it failed. A player like a Brett Kimorley or a Matt Head or even Nathan Fien who have played plenty of 1st grade not only balance the team better but also help the young ones coming thru which both Witt and Smith got no help in that area.

Are you for real?

Yes, Witt was crap.

But Tim Smith won us a minor premiership in his rookie season.

If it wasn't for his personal problems, he'd still be running the show at Parra and we'd still be an elite attacking team.

Look at 2004 and our execution in the "red zone" (20m from their line) and then look at the games Tim didn't play since 2005 --> the general story is that we suck inside the red zone because there's nobody to "create" a try - Tim had the sublime kicking game where he could generate something from nothing and a skilled passing game.

Sad that the booze and drugs did him in really....

Mind you - Tim Smith aside, I agree with your general argument! Why pin all our hopes on the juniors if they aren't good enough?

Last edited:

Fee

Juniors

I am pretty sure you are right ,I was actually getting them confused a bit as well, I remember thinking the same thing then realising that TT threw the pass not Inu.

Are you for real?

Yes, Witt was crap.

But Tim Smith won us a minor premiership in his rookie season.

If it wasn't for his personal problems, he'd still be running the show at Parra and we'd still be an elite attacking team.

Look at 2004 and our execution in the "red zone" (20m from their line) and then look at the games Tim didn't play since 2005 --> the general story is that we suck inside the red zone because there's nobody to "create" a try - Tim had the sublime kicking game where he could generate something from nothing and a skilled passing game.

Sad that the booze and drugs did him in really....

Mind you - Tim Smith aside, I agree with your general argument! Why pin all our hopes on the juniors if they aren't good enough?
I agree about Tim Smith and also think the club should have helpped him more than they did, really they should have stood him down for longer and helpped him thru it and kept him at the club even if it meant he sat out the whole season. He had class Timmy but just needed help off the field.

I agree about Tim Smith and also think the club should have helpped him more than they did, really they should have stood him down for longer and helpped him thru it and kept him at the club even if it meant he sat out the whole season. He had class Timmy but just needed help off the field.

Surely this shows why the Tim Smith issue was so problematic.

As a Club I think we have a responsibility for our players and a huge role in their general welfare but overall each player is an individual who needs to look after themselves. The Club is not a babysitter and from what I know did a lot to help Tim during his difficult times.

Further, while Tim was stood down there were calls for him to be brought back early, there were calls for him to be sacked completely, he was heckled . In the end, for his own personal reasons he decided to stand himself down. I think it was best for all involved and I'm not sure the club could have done anymore.

Angry_eel

First Grade
i think its time to let go. Treat timmy like a gf/bf that was really nice in that start then it turned to sh*t towards the end. Just get over him.

lingard

Coach
Anyway, getting back to the original post; I like what Anderson said.
The original article was wrong on two counts, though, I thought.
1. Why did he refer to us as a 'star-studded side'? Because it sounds good? We aren`t anywhere near that.
2. The backline reshuffle had little to do with our lack of attack - it was dropped ball and bad passes (and some mighty defence from St George.)

But Anderson made a lot of sense.