What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the club isnt stupid enough to fight it - someone needs to out there hand up and admit what they did

I am sick of the 'blame everyone else' attitude....

Two separate points....absolutely agree with the last one.

If, however, the club believe that the have evidence refuting some of the alleged breaches, the should present that evidence. There's nothing wrong with seeking to 'correct' as yet untested allegations. But, no, they shouldn't simply appeal as a matter of course.

If, however, the club believe that the have evidence refuting some of the alleged breaches, the should present that evidence. There's nothing wrong with seeking to 'correct' as yet untested allegations. But, no, they shouldn't simply appeal as a matter of course.

+1 if they have a proper legal defense fair enough "everyone else is doing it" will not cut the mustard

El Diablo

Post Whore
NRL told they are amateurs in court http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...re-all-nnn-nnn-vars-o&sa=D&usg=ALhdy28zsr6qiq

Parramatta Eels officials win Supreme Court injunction against NRL deregistration

Date
May 3, 2016 - 5:27PM

258 reading now

Chris Barrett and Rachel Olding

Five Parramatta club officials have won a last-minute reprieve in the Supreme Court against their deregistration from the NRL.

Late on Tuesday, Justice Rowan Darke enacted interim orders preventing the NRL from restricting the functions of the directors and club officials of the Parramatta National Rugby League Club Ltd.

The decision came after the NRL announced it was deregistering Parramatta Club chairman Steve Sharp and officials Tom Issa, Peter Serrao, John Boulous and Daniel Anderson.

The five men launched an urgent bid to stave off deregistration from the NRL late on Tuesday, accusing the NRL of denying them procedural fairness and of potentially breaching company law.

The matter was being heard just hours after hours after the Eels were stripped of 12 competition points, fined $1 million and told that five officials would be immediately deregistered.

The barrister for the five men, Arthur Moses, SC, told Justice Darke on Tuesday afternoon that the NRL had no power to limit or "fetter" the directors of another company. To do so would be in breach of the Corporations Act, he said.

Parramatta Rugby League Club Ltd is a separate company to the NRL and the pair are in a contract together, the court heard.

"One corporation cannot impose upon the directors of another corporation," he said. "To state that is to state the obvious with all due respect."

Mr Moses also accused the NRL of denying the five club officials procedural fairness. He said the NRL's Integrity Unit had been investigating salary cap breaches at Parramatta since June 2015 and the breaches allegedly go back to June 2013.

However, he said the first his clients knew about the allegations against them and the proposed suspension was in a letter handed to them on Monday afternoon. They were then asked to attend at 7.30am on Tuesday, just before the claims of impropriety were made public.

"[There was] no prior notice given that they would be suspended today before today," Mr Moses said.

In the letter, the five men were told of the allegations against them and told they have five days to respond. The letter also outlined the intention to deregister them and said they were suspended in the meantime.

The letter said the only activities they can undertake as company officials in the meantime is to prepare their response and to assist the club to prepare its response.

Mr Moses told the court the NRL doesn't have the power to make such restrictions on other company officials. He said the NRL's definition of "suspension" was also unclear.

The NRL's barrister, Lachlan Gyles, responded by saying that the notice of suspension and the five-day period for responding is "procedural fairness 101".

Justice Darke has implemented orders preventing the NRL from "acting upon, implementing or carrying into effect" the proposed suspension of registration handed to the five officials in a letter on Monday afternoon.

The matter will return to the Supreme Court on Friday and, if the parties can't settle out of court, will require a one-day hearing to argue the legality of the deregistration.

NRL boss Todd Greenberg on Tuesday morning accused Parramatta's salary-cap masterminds of being in denial and demanded the club get its house in order.

As well as facing the loss of all 12 competition points so far accrued this year and a $1 million fine, the Eels' board has been decimated by the league's plan to de-register five senior officials.

Greenberg suggests the breach notices are the culmination of almost a decade of dysfunctional management, including breaching the salary cap in five of the last six years.

Kornstar

Coach
Two separate points....absolutely agree with the last one.

That's my thinking too.

They are either completely delusional or they have something solid that gets them out of some of it.

When I got in the car this arvo some guy was talking to Chris Smith and he said he was at the AGM last night and the board said that the invoice issue was not an issue and they could account for it. Now I know we can't trust them but why go to all the effort to defend yourselves if you have nothing?

Swiftstylez

Bench
I hope by now the implications of today have finally sunk in.

This was going to be our period of time on an upswing. We are going to be scrutinised more heavily than all the other teams that somehow have even better rosters than us from now on. Norman is going to go leave, hopefully Foran is okay but who knows how this plays out in regards to his contract.

If the NRL have their facts straight that is us rubbed out of contention for more than just this year. I'm laughing at the fans that think the NRL has given us a shot at the finals. If we get rid of the players they will expect us to we cannot be competitive this year. They won't just go "lol Watmough retired, that's okay". The NRL DO NOT want us to play in the finals. If the NRL see us going on a winning run they will step in with new sanctions because we "aren't complying enough". The players that are going to leave at the end of this year are not going to have replacements signed for next year.

The fun is over on the field and the stability was never in the office.

The NRL is the only winner today as it seems the fans are falling for the "lenient sentence". The club has been destroyed. Brad Arthur will stick out the season but he has no obligation to continue under a mess. The Eels are back to 2010 as much as this fact may hurt you.

Last edited:

MrT

Juniors
Here's a question that will probably get me beaten to a pulp...

Where's the evidence that it was Fitzgerald that is behind the leaks?

Now, I'm not saying that it wasn't. Not in the least. But this forum has been going on for weeks about media agendas and people jumping to conclusions and leaks and...well, you know.

Yet we've all just jumped on Fitzgerald and I haven't seen an ounce of proof.

Now, I can certainly understand why people would think it was Fitzgerald. Look at his comments already about stepping in to fill the gap. I understand.

My question, though, is whether there is actually any proof?

what F%^en ex CEO of 30 years gets on media and says, the police and ATO should get involved.

Is that evidence enough for you?

Why has everyone given up already, and have just accepted the NRL's preliminary findings? Just last year they accused us of being $500k+ over the cap. When we finally got a chance to respond that was reduced by about 20%. The 12 point penalty is not necessarily set in stone.

Swiftstylez

Bench
Why has everyone given up already, and have just accepted the NRL's preliminary findings? Just last year they accused us of being $500k+ over the cap. When we finally got a chance to respond that was reduced by about 20%. The 12 point penalty is not necessarily set in stone.

I agree. I don't know why the Eels board would be willing to fight it out if they didn't believe the issue is overblown. This is the only light at the end of the tunnel. They were defiant until D-day. Lets cross our fingers that they had any reasoning behind this.

Joely01

Bench
Some of the boys are starting to post on social media.
I reckon we are going to produce something special this year!
Top 8 here we come!

Status
Not open for further replies.