What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope so and let Paulo go to Raiders early on top of Morgan leaving could get us close.

Need to keep Paulo this year. He's a must keep. Fringe players like Gower and co maybe have to be moved on. And I say that with respect to Gower who's a solid player.

Gronk

Staff member
Paul Kent said this the other day about Watmerkin

Until now, when players began to age, a club’s best action would be to do what they all do, which was try to offload him to the English Super League at a reduced contract and be encumbered with just a percentage of his contract on the cap, offsetting the rest in England. Not anymore.

Every NRL contract is now guaranteed for its duration. If a player retires prematurely through injury it puts the onus on the club to recoup their money from the insurer.

Poor clubs cannot afford to risk an extra half million dollars a year on a player who might not pass the insurance test.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...g/news-story/1c49ab5bd30fe893acda4157c32f6335

I wonder what he meant about poor clubs ? I thought we all were on the same salary cap with no one club having advantage over the other ?

i really hope this court challenge is based on a sound legal defense and not wasting valuable members funds which could otherwise go towards our million dollar fine on a last ditch hail mary with 0% of success trying to save their own skins

If Watmough's retirement is accepted and cap relief granted then we have a good case to put forward regarding retrospective relief.

As I said many, many, many pages ago - it is the key.

However, Morgs cannot assist us getting the points back. He can get us under the cap for our next game but offers no assistance in terms of retrospective release because he was legitimately under our cap until this week, so he counts until this week.

woddy

Juniors
Who is paying Morgs ? surely the Storm have taken half of what he was paid here a mid season transfer?

eels_fan

First Grade
Some clubs may need to use part of the NRL's annual grants to fund their club operations/junior leagues etc as opposed to using it all for their salary cap... Effectively lowering their cap if they can't top it up in some other way. That is my understanding anyways..

Who is paying Morgs ? surely the Storm have taken half of what he was paid here a mid season transfer?

Why would they pay half? What if we were desperate to clear some cap space, as seems likely?

Still, getting rid of one of our most highly paid players has to help a bit.

IFR33K

Coach
Need to keep Paulo this year. He's a must keep. Fringe players like Gower and co maybe have to be moved on. And I say that with respect to Gower who's a solid player.

We need to move on a player that's not on our pay roll or in our plans next season. It will create unbalance if we attempt to move a player that's signed for 2017...

Chipmunk

Coach
Hope so and let Paulo go to Raiders early on top of Morgan leaving could get us close.

We don't have a team capable of winning 12 from 15 this season without Junior Paulo, so I don't see the point of doing that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.